Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Splitting the hose from water tank for two people

wezza13

As the title says; I'm looking to sort something out with this water tank, so that two people can use the water supply from it. I was wondering whether I could cut the hose and put like a single into a double connector into the line, so that my colleague can draw from the tank as well.

But I wondered if the flowrate would drop from my shurflo pump, seeing as two people are drawing from the same outlet? Would it be more beneficial to get another BSP connector on there instead and draw the second water supply from that??

This is it currently : 

Cheers

tank.png

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of this :

barb.png

I'd put a tee-piece in the line and run to two separate pumps and controllers. I'd also put a nylon non-return valve in below the tee piece. I'd heat the hoses in hot water to soften them and put two Jubilee clips on each joint. I've never tried to work two poles from one pump but I'd imagine it's not a good idea. I'd guess some of the folk on here will have possibly done it in their early days but I'd think they will have fitted a second pump once they had the money. I can't see one pump working smoothly with two people switching the water on and off at the poles and with each one sometimes working at different wìndow levels and sometimes working at the same level. It won't be the capacity of the feed hose that will cause problems, it will be the fluctuations on the pump demand, I'd say. 

I'm confident you'll get answers from folk more knowledgeable than me. 

Good luck?

We use a splitter most of the time. Sometimes two to run three pumps. B n q do them for a couple of quid. Doesn’t affect flow.

I'd put a tee-piece in the line and run to two separate pumps and controllers. I'd also put a nylon non-return valve in below the tee piece. I'd heat the hoses in hot water to soften them and put two Jubilee clips on each joint. I've never tried to work two poles from one pump but I'd imagine it's not a good idea. I'd guess some of the folk on here will have possibly done it in their early days but I'd think they will have fitted a second pump once they had the money. I can't see one pump working smoothly with two people switching the water on and off at the poles and with each one sometimes working at different wìndow levels and sometimes working at the same level. It won't be the capacity of the feed hose that will cause problems, it will be the fluctuations on the pump demand, I'd say. 

I'm confident you'll get answers from folk more knowledgeable than me. 

Good luck?

Thank you, I forgot to say that I will buy a second pump and controller for the second pole very soon. At the moment, I was kind of thinking of connecting a T-splitter, then a length of 1/2 inch hose, then a flow valve tap (so it can be off when my mate isn't with me), followed by some more hose that ends with a hozelock connector(female). This way, he can plug in when he's working with me and switch the flow valve tap on and it can be off at all other times. Obviously, the tap will be on his side so to not affect my pump and controllers flow.

Welcome?. I'd think if you're putting a flow valve tap on his line the best place for it would be close to the tee-piece. That way hopefully you'll be able to keep water in his line, rather than having the valve near the pump, in which case the water will probably drain back into the tank leaving a lot of air in the pipe. I used to have a tap on each of the two lines coming from my tee-piece but I found over the long term I would still get problems with drain-back and air. In the end I did away with both taps and instead fitted a nylon NRV about 6 inches above the floor level. Up to now it's been much more reliable. Two operators and two pumps in my case. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome?. I'd think if you're putting a flow valve tap on his line the best place for it would be close to the tee-piece. That way hopefully you'll be able to keep water in his line, rather than having the valve near the pump, in which case the water will probably drain back into the tank leaving a lot of air in the pipe. I used to have a tap on each of the two lines coming from my tee-piece but I found over the long term I would still get problems with drain-back and air. In the end I did away with both taps and instead fitted a nylon NRV about 6 inches above the floor level. Up to now it's been much more reliable. Two operators and two pumps in my case. ?
Sounds like the way I want to go tbh. I’d put the NRV in, to be on the safe side. 

Any particular Nylon NRV that you’d recommend? 

you are best with 2 pumps, 2 controllers,     2 batterys,  I just used old van battery for 2nd controller as only used it odd time.     splitter cuming off water tank,   

I think I got it from Varitech (Streamline) 01626 830830. I just had a look in their 2018 catalogue but I couldn't see it. You could give them a ring. 

If you fit two batteries, I'd wire them together in parallel (as per jump leads). I did that and by them sharing the workload I've been using a battery for three years after I would have had to scrap it, as it was no longer able to power a pump for a full day. Make sure to put a fuse on each of the two positive leads near the batteries. ?

Ok to split the hose with connectors before the pump but best to use a pump for every pole user, a new pump and controller will cost less than £200 and last you a few years 

Thank you, I forgot to say that I will buy a second pump and controller for the second pole very soon. At the moment, I was kind of thinking of connecting a T-splitter, then a length of 1/2 inch hose, then a flow valve tap (so it can be off when my mate isn't with me), followed by some more hose that ends with a hozelock connector(female). This way, he can plug in when he's working with me and switch the flow valve tap on and it can be off at all other times. Obviously, the tap will be on his side so to not affect my pump and controllers flow.
I don’t quite understand. If you are not going to use a second pump and controller and the moment, just planning on putting a tee out of your tank. What’s going to push the water up the second pole??? You say you don’t want to interfere with your pump (the only pump) are you just relying on the weight of the water in your tank to push water up the second pole??

I don’t quite understand. If you are not going to use a second pump and controller and the moment, just planning on putting a tee out of your tank. What’s going to push the water up the second pole??? You say you don’t want to interfere with your pump (the only pump) are you just relying on the weight of the water in your tank to push water up the second pole??

I meant that I'll buy a second Shurflo pump and controller arrangement soon but, currently, he uses one of these (which we've used for many years) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113409883066

He'll use that in the meantime until I buy a second Shurflo pump and controller ? 

Also, he currently (with that pump backpack system) draws the water from the tank, by putting the inlet hose into the top of the tank through the lid, but forgot to screw it back on properly yesterday! Hence the reason in wanting to draw from the tank's official outlet. 

Latest Posts

Back