Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Bart90

New Window Smears

Bart90

Was on a job today that had new windows fitted.  Cleaned them wfp outside, trad in but could see smears in the sunlight.  Tried to buff them out but they really wouldn't budge.  Not sure if it's some kind of coating on them. Any suggestions?  

Also any recommendations for something to get off those sticky labels from upvc frames?

Thanks in advance!

scottish cleaning service
19 minutes ago, Bart90 said:

Was on a job today that had new windows fitted.  Cleaned them wfp outside, trad in but could see smears in the sunlight.  Tried to buff them out but they really wouldn't budge.  Not sure if it's some kind of coating on them. Any suggestions?  

Also any recommendations for something to get off those sticky labels from upvc frames?

Thanks in advance!

May guess being a joiner, it will be silicon marks from the fitters fingers. I did a house that had new windows last year and the glass was covered in it. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the smears and it worked a treat. Bought a gallon of it off ebay for £15, well worth having it in the van.

Bart90
3 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

May guess being a joiner, it will be silicon marks from the fitters fingers. I did a house that had new windows last year and the glass was covered in it. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the smears and it worked a treat. Bought a gallon of it off ebay for £15, well worth having it in the van.

Cheers for that, how did you apply it/remove it?

1 minute ago, Bart90 said:

Cheers for that, how did you apply it/remove it?

You can spray it on or put some on a cloth either way you need to rub away at it. Nice smell off of it. Generally you need to do both sides because when they fit the glass their fingers are touching both surfaces. I did the outside one month and they got me in to do the inside the next month. Its quite hard to see face on and have to look from the side to see if its all off.

Bart90
25 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

You can spray it on or put some on a cloth either way you need to rub away at it. Nice smell off of it. Generally you need to do both sides because when they fit the glass their fingers are touching both surfaces. I did the outside one month and they got me in to do the inside the next month. Its quite hard to see face on and have to look from the side to see if its all off.

What you describe is just like what was on these so I think it probably is that.  I'll get some.  Thanks again 👍

While you're on a roll, any suggestions for sticky labels on upvc frames? 😄 

12 minutes ago, Bart90 said:

What you describe is just like what was on these so I think it probably is that.  I'll get some.  Thanks again 👍

While you're on a roll, any suggestions for sticky labels on upvc frames? 😄 

I just remove them with an 4" or 6" Unger scraper because i have both of them, then remove the glue with the alcohol again.