Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Window Smears

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

Was on a job today that had new windows fitted.  Cleaned them wfp outside, trad in but could see smears in the sunlight.  Tried to buff them out but they really wouldn't budge.  Not sure if it's some kind of coating on them. Any suggestions?  

Also any recommendations for something to get off those sticky labels from upvc frames?

Thanks in advance!

Was on a job today that had new windows fitted.  Cleaned them wfp outside, trad in but could see smears in the sunlight.  Tried to buff them out but they really wouldn't budge.  Not sure if it's some kind of coating on them. Any suggestions?  

Also any recommendations for something to get off those sticky labels from upvc frames?

Thanks in advance!

May guess being a joiner, it will be silicon marks from the fitters fingers. I did a house that had new windows last year and the glass was covered in it. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the smears and it worked a treat. Bought a gallon of it off ebay for £15, well worth having it in the van.

May guess being a joiner, it will be silicon marks from the fitters fingers. I did a house that had new windows last year and the glass was covered in it. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the smears and it worked a treat. Bought a gallon of it off ebay for £15, well worth having it in the van.
Cheers for that, how did you apply it/remove it?

Cheers for that, how did you apply it/remove it?

You can spray it on or put some on a cloth either way you need to rub away at it. Nice smell off of it. Generally you need to do both sides because when they fit the glass their fingers are touching both surfaces. I did the outside one month and they got me in to do the inside the next month. Its quite hard to see face on and have to look from the side to see if its all off.

You can spray it on or put some on a cloth either way you need to rub away at it. Nice smell off of it. Generally you need to do both sides because when they fit the glass their fingers are touching both surfaces. I did the outside one month and they got me in to do the inside the next month. Its quite hard to see face on and have to look from the side to see if its all off.
What you describe is just like what was on these so I think it probably is that.  I'll get some.  Thanks again ?

While you're on a roll, any suggestions for sticky labels on upvc frames? ? 

What you describe is just like what was on these so I think it probably is that.  I'll get some.  Thanks again ?

While you're on a roll, any suggestions for sticky labels on upvc frames? ? 

I just remove them with an 4" or 6" Unger scraper because i have both of them, then remove the glue with the alcohol again. 

Back