Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

At the risk of opening a can of worms.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

I know most of you have seen my post "errr well that esculated quickly" and by no means want to get into all that again, but I do have a question related to it. 

I've had a person contact me directly and ask if I would quote for her windows as her current window cleaner "has never been reliable"

Now as a person that has been in business for over 20 years (not in window cleaning)  I would say that to go and quote her has no moral issue. 

If she has approached me and asked me for a quote I can't be poaching? 

That would be the same if I had a kebab shop and a customer came in and said "I normally go to blah blah kebabs but there rubbish so I thought I'd try here" 

And me saying, sorry love I can't serve you if you have another kebeb shop, speak to mr kebab and sort it out"

What do you guys say? 

I’m big on freedom in my life. 

Im free to clean anyone’s windows and if someone isn’t happy with my work are free to use someone else. This is just business. No need for ego to get involved. 

Abit naughty when I look back, but when I first started out cleaning shops in a town centre, one shop owner came out and asked if I’d clean her windows as she wasn’t happy with her service, and the windie stunk of booze every time he turned up. There were several windies in the town, but I wasn’t sure who did the job, but anyway, I just took it! I took an ear bashing from the alcoholic windie, and it was dealt with. 

Funny thing, after he retired I was cleaning  a new shop sign in a completely different area, when I got up the ladder, this windie had his head of of the window smoking a *** - He only lived above the shop I’d just picked up!! Anyway, I cleaned his windows for him while chatting and apologising for the altercation the year before. He was sound. 

I’ve taken work from another window cleaner before, not on purpose but because the customer asked me to as her window cleaner didn’t show up very often. Then the t**t went to a Facebook page saying he was cheaper than me and brings his own water etc..... stupid c**t. No one listened to him and he shot himself in the foot as a few years later I gave the work to someone more local as it was out of my town. 

My own standards are I wouldn’t ever purposely go lower than another cleaner just to steal work. If someone asks me for a quote but have a cleaner I always ask if they are happy with the job they do. If yes then I politely decline as I don’t want “penny pinchers”.  But don’t be afraid to canvass/leaflet other people’s “patches” and don’t be afraid to take work when it presents itself if there is a genuine reason for them chinning their previous window cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of the day, all they want is their windows cleaned reliably and properly; if they come to you, it's not poaching. If you initiate, like, "Hey, I can do a better job for less," okay, that's poaching.

Of course I also believe if your girlfriend really honestly does like your best friend more than she likes you that that's fine too, so, take into account.

Potential customer:  Can you clean my windows?  

Me: Of course luv it will be £XYZ per clean

NOT:  'Well let's see, do you have now or have you at anytime in the past had a window cleaner, reliable or otherwise, overpriced or underpriced in your opinion that may or may not smell of Vindaloo and Kronenberg that has used either of traditional or WFP methods to clean the property you now inhabit or that of any of your friends or family or any other hoouse within a 5 mile radius of your home?"

Disgruntled window cleaner:  "I used to do that house, that was my customer"

Me:  Well, sorry, should have looked after them better.

NOT: Oh, ever so sorry sir, I did not realise that this is your 'patch' sir, how inconsiderate of me sir, here let me give you all my takings for the day sir and hand over my customer list to you right away sir!  

If the former window cleaner has any issue with ' Well, sorry, should have looked after them better.' Then the next line out of my mouth is most likley 'Time for you to jog on now pal'

I have said before and will always stand by the fact that until they start paying my bills and putting food on my familys table then they had better look after their customers properly as I will take them without a second thought and not loose a seconds sleep over having done so.  

I had this exact scenario today after she told me her current window cleaner hasn't been for 3 months and only does it on the side. My answer, 'Yep I can start cleaning them next week for ya'. However I'll do them tomorrow if I get the time.

ive thought the exact same as everyone here in their opinion, just never come across such a skewed mentallity in business as i have with some since i have started window cleaning.

Most of the the people who enquire do so because they have no window cleaner, or have issues with the window cleaner they currently use. It is not your fault. Your supplying a service,same as he/she, and if your potential customer want to change, then it is entirely up to them.

I’m big on freedom in my life. 

Im free to clean anyone’s windows and if someone isn’t happy with my work are free to use someone else. This is just business. No need for ego to get involved. 

Abit naughty when I look back, but when I first started out cleaning shops in a town centre, one shop owner came out and asked if I’d clean her windows as she wasn’t happy with her service, and the windie stunk of booze every time he turned up. There were several windies in the town, but I wasn’t sure who did the job, but anyway, I just took it! I took an ear bashing from the alcoholic windie, and it was dealt with. 

Funny thing, after he retired I was cleaning  a new shop sign in a completely different area, when I got up the ladder, this windie had his head of of the window smoking a *** - He only lived above the shop I’d just picked up!! Anyway, I cleaned his windows for him while chatting and apologising for the altercation the year before. He was sound. 

The customer has a right to choose who they have to clean there windows , we don’t go poaching other cleaners work but if they do a poor job or arnt reliable and the customer isn’t happy with there service then yes we would quote and have no quarms about taking the job on 

I have gained work from other window cleaners and lost work to other window cleaners. It happens. I dont worry about others window cleaners customers coming to me. 

Funny story from the other week though, I just started using a logo, got t-shirts, flyers, cards etc printed. Went to an elderly customer who lives in a terrace so needed access through the house. She looks through the glass door, reads my new t-shirt, waves me away and tells me not interested. I open the door and say I'm the usual window cleaner and she looks at my face then recognises me and I carry on working. She doesnt shop around because shes happy with the window cleaner she has!

ive picked up loads of jobs  off other window cleaners over the years..i know them all too....ive also lost the odd one or two although its very rare......still lots of **** WCs who dont take their business seriously where i work(fortunately for me!)...ive never undercut another WC though....ever......in 26 years of window cleaning....

I agree with everyone, you can take whatever work you want to. In the past we have had some heated debates on here about what is morally right but if a customer asks you directly to quote them it's the other window cleaners fault.

I think it's possible to keep a level of decorum however. I always make sure I don't comment on the other window cleaners work, regardless how bad it is. I've been to jobs where they were cleaned the day before and have dirty frames and spots on every pane. I just tell the customer what we do, no need to mention what's been missed previously as they'll work it out for themselves. I never ask how much the previous windy charged until they have signed up, then I ask out of curiosity. My price is my price and I'm not interested in what the other guy charged. I've found a couple of times I'm £5-10 more... That's why he's not reliable anymore, make sure you do your price increases boys!

A point no one has touched on is why is the last windy unreliable or why did they stop coming round? During a quote is the easiest time to tell a customer you will turn up in light rain, that you clean all year, explain your cancellation policy etc. If you fail to do this expect some of them to start cancelling because the weather is cr@p, asking you to come back in spring or saying something like ''you did such a great job last time I think we'll skip this one'' ?

I agree with everyone, you can take whatever work you want to. In the past we have had some heated debates on here about what is morally right but if a customer asks you directly to quote them it's the other window cleaners fault.

I think it's possible to keep a level of decorum however. I always make sure I don't comment on the other window cleaners work, regardless how bad it is. I've been to jobs where they were cleaned the day before and have dirty frames and spots on every pane. I just tell the customer what we do, no need to mention what's been missed previously as they'll work it out for themselves. I never ask how much the previous windy charged until they have signed up, then I ask out of curiosity. My price is my price and I'm not interested in what the other guy charged. I've found a couple of times I'm £5-10 more... That's why he's not reliable anymore, make sure you do your price increases boys!

A point no one has touched on is why is the last windy unreliable or why did they stop coming round? During a quote is the easiest time to tell a customer you will turn up in light rain, that you clean all year, explain your cancellation policy etc. If you fail to do this expect some of them to start cancelling because the weather is cr@p, asking you to come back in spring or saying something like ''you did such a great job last time I think we'll skip this one'' ?
Guess who's back, back again ? , I enjoy pointing out other peoples mistakes make me look great ?

Guess who's back, back again ? , I enjoy pointing out other peoples mistakes make me look great ?
Tell me about it! I’ve taken on a bit much a bit quickly man. Currently however I’m at the start of a nice 3 day weekend and tomorrow I’m off to Old Trafford to watch the mighty Saints (hopefully) win the super league grand final against Salford. I’ve got the big stuff out the way so I’ll try and be around a little more through the winter. Gonna need to take someone on in the spring though, it’s been work, eat, sleep, repeat for months now... I know how much you must have all missed my input ??

Last edited by a moderator:

i always tell the previous window cleaners if they ve made a rubbish job of their ex customers windows if i bump into them and the price im now charging them!its the only bit of fun i get these days when out and about window cleaning....?

Tell me about it! I’ve taken on a bit much a bit quickly man. Currently however I’m at the start of a nice 3 day weekend and tomorrow I’m off to Old Trafford to watch the mighty Saints (hopefully) win the super league grand final against Salford. I’ve got the big stuff out the way so I’ll try and be around a little more through the winter. Gonna need to take someone on in the spring though, it’s been work, eat, sleep, repeat for months now... I know how much you must have all missed my input ??
It's good to be busy, I need to take on more work due to a change in circumstances, I am either on here or down the allotment or PS4

i try and work as little as possible for max earnings .....ive got it down to around 25 hours a week(actually window cleaning) these days...?

During a quote is the easiest time to tell a customer you will turn up in light rain, that you clean all year, explain your cancellation policy etc. If you fail to do this expect some of them to start cancelling because the weather is cr@p, asking you to come back in spring or saying something like ''you did such a great job last time I think we'll skip this one'' ?

Great advice this mate. A customer I took on in early summer said to me last week. 'Do you clean through the winter?' 'Of course I said, my bills don't stop coming in through the winter'. 'Or, I was just gonna ask if you would leave the windows November, December and January..?' ?‍♂️ I told him that's not how I work and he would potentially lose his place on my round if that was the case. Anyways he said, 'or OK just carry on then'. But now my confidence in this customer has gone and I'm expecting him to cancel now. My fault as I forgot to explain my working terms like you mentioned.

Great advice this mate. A customer I took on in early summer said to me last week. 'Do you clean through the winter?' 'Of course I said, my bills don't stop coming in through the winter'. 'Or, I was just gonna ask if you would leave the windows November, December and January..?' ?‍♂️ I told him that's not how I work and he would potentially lose his place on my round if that was the case. Anyways he said, 'or OK just carry on then'. But now my confidence in this customer has gone and I'm expecting him to cancel now. My fault as I forgot to explain my working terms like you mentioned.
I think this is the mindset of some people in the old pit villages and now towns, because it's usually when the beer token boys go into hibernation, I was talking to a fellow windy earlier this week and he set up a few years ago and loads of people asked him what he was going to do in the winter and would he be stopping, this was all new to him and he told them I've got bills to pay I'll be calling year round.

The old outdated perception of window cleaners still lingers whilst there is still these ones out there doing what has been done for years and the modern age of window cleaning to a point passes them by, it's a decision they make which I feel it to be more down to the investment in money, I remember as clear as day 11 years ago a trad cleaner laughed in my face when I said I had spent over 1k on going wfp. also time has to be invested in been a wfp cleaner, you need cash and you need to keep up to date with knowledge and information on changes and developments in this industry or in @steve garwood words a sado, yes we have all got it in us,even you Mr Garwood ?

Back