Jump to content







Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic


Fergus MacDougall

Computer software

Recommended Posts

Fergus MacDougall

Hi All

How do you guys remember when to do your window cleaning rounds?

 

Is there a software package that can remind you when your clients are due? 

 

Any advice you can give would be great, thanks in advance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Wind o kleen
1 minute ago, Fergus MacDougall said:

Hi All

How do you guys remember when to do your window cleaning rounds?

 

Is there a software package that can remind you when your clients are due? 

 

Any advice you can give would be great, thanks in advance. 

 

www.aworka.com

Share this post


Link to post
Dabber

Squeege app for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Chris Finley

Still like using George.  £50 one off no ongoing costs and covers everything u need. Can be used on pc or a windows tablet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
5 minutes ago, Chris Finley said:

Still like using George.  £50 one off no ongoing costs and covers everything u need. Can be used on pc or a windows tablet.

 

Yeah it's great for anyone running windows 95 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
dazmond

cleaner planner is the best out there IMO......

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
Just now, dazmond said:

cleaner planner is the best out there IMO......

I’d be inclined to agree with you. I’m a Squeegee App user. It’s good but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong. CP has been around so much longer it’s hammered out the kinks. The cost difference is barely relevant to an established cleaner. The problem for me is I’m too invested in Squeegee and it would be too much effort to move now. I do believe Squeegee will be the best software in the not to distant future however!

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
26 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I’d be inclined to agree with you. I’m a Squeegee App user. It’s good but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong. CP has been around so much longer it’s hammered out the kinks. The cost difference is barely relevant to an established cleaner. The problem for me is I’m too invested in Squeegee and it would be too much effort to move now. I do believe Squeegee will be the best software in the not to distant future however!


They've being saying that for over a year  🤣 and it still has issues, I would say I am way to invested in Cleaner Planner after more than 4 years and I ain't likely to switch, because of historical data and my shocking memory 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
3 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


They've being saying that for over a year  🤣 and it still has issues, I would say I am way to invested in Cleaner Planner after more than 4 years and I ain't likely to switch, because of historical data and my shocking memory 

Well... in defence of Squeegee the issues have been less and less. In the last few months I’ve had an outage (lasted 20 mins) not ideal in the middle of a working day if you’re not sure where your next job is... but it was only 20 mins. There have been a couple of syncing issues which delayed a very small amount of invoices and there is an ongoing issue where you can’t email BT email addresses (the workaround is to email it to yourself and forward that on) I truly believe the pros outweigh the cons already and it should get better from there.

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
5 hours ago, Chris Finley said:

Still like using George.  £50 one off no ongoing costs and covers everything u need. Can be used on pc or a windows tablet.

 

 

I like the fact that it isn't 'on the cloud'. We do regular backups to a memory stick and occasional send myself a backup via email.

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Chris Finley
2 hours ago, P4dstar said:

I’d be inclined to agree with you. I’m a Squeegee App user. It’s good but when it goes wrong it really goes wrong. CP has been around so much longer it’s hammered out the kinks. The cost difference is barely relevant to an established cleaner. The problem for me is I’m too invested in Squeegee and it would be too much effort to move now. I do believe Squeegee will be the best software in the not to distant future however!

George dont go wrong, just works. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Den
4 hours ago, spruce said:

 

I like the fact that it isn't 'on the cloud'. We do regular backups to a memory stick and occasional send myself a backup via email.

That’s exactly what I do backup daily and a weekly email to myself 👍

 

i had a cheap windows tablet gifted to me from a friend but found a 10” screen and having fat fingers not good, might buy a more modern windows tablet so I can update George while my son drives between jobs. 

Edited by Den

Share this post


Link to post
Tango

Google calendar. Has repeat options, notes, it's the dogs!

 

What i do is use two calendars - one to plan my clients by their weeks... then the second to copy them onto once i've actually worked out what day i'll be there.

 

Using an app called automate from google play store, i have two processes running on my phone. On Saturday at 6pm one checks the 1st calendar for the weeks clients and texts them all (grabs the name from the title then looks them up in my contacts, checks it's a mobile number and then sends). I find this gives clients a bit of advance warning so that they can be sure to have the cash ready or let me know of any days they can't do etc. The second process runs at 5:30pm every day and looks on the other calendar for clients that are showing for the next day - then sends them the text saying i'll be there tomorrow and to leave the gate open etc.

 

Works well enough for me. Only real complexity is having to copy the event from one calendar to another - google does pre-fill it all in (just click copy to X calendar) however i still have to click the save button lol. I can do all that on the PC and yet still see the calendar on my phone... works well enough for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
9 hours ago, Den said:

That’s exactly what I do backup daily and a weekly email to myself 👍

 

i had a cheap windows tablet gifted to me from a friend but found a 10” screen and having fat fingers not good, might buy a more modern windows tablet so I can update George while my son drives between jobs. 


A windows os device is good if that's what you are use to but, there updates are always massive and your memory could get eating up very quickly, when I bought a new laptop I bought a more expensive one with 1tb hard drive, because the issue above was highlighted in a review of windows net books 

Edited by Iron Giant
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
8 hours ago, Den said:

That’s exactly what I do backup daily and a weekly email to myself 👍

 

i had a cheap windows tablet gifted to me from a friend but found a 10” screen and having fat fingers not good, might buy a more modern windows tablet so I can update George while my son drives between jobs. 

 

This is probably the route I will end up going.

George used to work with my pda on Windows 10 32 bit but synchronization stopped working. a while back and I had to revert back to XP. Having 2 hard drives in the same computer, one with Windows 10 and the other with XP has become an issue with dual booting.

Share this post


Link to post
Den
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:


A windows os device is good if that's what you are use to but, there updates are always massive and your memory could get eating up very quickly, when I bought a new laptop I bought one a more expensive one with 1tb hard drive, because the issue above was highlighted in a review of windows net books 

That’s Ian so true, I’m a apple man iphone/IPad myself but George don’t work on apple which is a shame. 

 

I only use my laptop for George hence why a good tablet would probably be better option for me as the tablet I have is really slow and generally a load of Shiite.

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
3 minutes ago, Den said:

That’s Ian so true, I’m a apple man iphone/IPad myself but George don’t work on apple which is a shame. 

 

I only use my laptop for George hence why a good tablet would probably be better option for me as the tablet I have is really slow and generally a load of Shiite.


I am too greedy/can't warrant apple prices, it's got to be a windows os laptop for me, but android phones 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:


I am too greedy/can't warrant apple prices, it's got to be a windows os laptop for me, but android phones 

I worked as a sales manager for Tesco Mobile and before that Carphone warehouse. At the time I wouldn't have touched apple with someone else's... I've now got an iPhone, iPad and currently typing this on a MacBook. I've had apple everything since 2014. At the time nothing synced the way Apple products do. Nowadays Samsung has caught up and Google has introduced good features on Android that negate all of those problems. I'm now stuck with Apple because of the potential difficulty of moving away from iMessage. There is a good chance that customers who have iPhones won't be able to contact me via text if I were to move over. The issue would be in their settings not mine so completely out of my control too. Android phones are years ahead of Apple, the tablets are better a Chromebook ls literally £800 cheaper than a MacBook!

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
25 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I worked as a sales manager for Tesco Mobile and before that Carphone warehouse. At the time I wouldn't have touched apple with someone else's... I've now got an iPhone, iPad and currently typing this on a MacBook. I've had apple everything since 2014. At the time nothing synced the way Apple products do. Nowadays Samsung has caught up and Google has introduced good features on Android that negate all of those problems. I'm now stuck with Apple because of the potential difficulty of moving away from iMessage. There is a good chance that customers who have iPhones won't be able to contact me via text if I were to move over. The issue would be in their settings not mine so completely out of my control too. Android phones are years ahead of Apple, the tablets are better a Chromebook ls literally £800 cheaper than a MacBook!


The Chromebook is 💩 I bought one and disliked the os, I didn't realise it's just a smart device in the guise of a laptop, so my wife got it and I went out a week later and bought a acer laptop, I am old skool 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
18 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


The Chromebook is 💩 I bought one and disliked the os, I didn't realise it's just a smart device in the guise of a laptop, so my wife got it and I went out a week later and bought a acer laptop, I am old skool 

I used to have one when they first came out. The kids destroyed it in the end. It depends what you want to use it for. My Mac is great for photo editing, other than that I could use google drive for the spreadsheets and Google chrome to access the internet. For people who mainly just browse the internet its ideal. My kids homework is all online nowadays so it would work for them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
58 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I used to have one when they first came out. The kids destroyed it in the end. It depends what you want to use it for. My Mac is great for photo editing, other than that I could use google drive for the spreadsheets and Google chrome to access the internet. For people who mainly just browse the internet its ideal. My kids homework is all online nowadays so it would work for them too.


I and my wife found the ChromeBook restrictive to a point as if she was wanting to do a job application or amend and send her c.v it's not possible to always send readable files which the recipient can read, she could edit it on the netbook but I had to convert it on my pc into a readable pdf via adobe  or copy and paste stuff into ms word and do the digital signatures.

I amend and update my own website as well as other stuff, so I like a pc that I can have a fully operational security suite which I know is bang up to date and my data is safe as well as the very basic stuff like copy and paste and other bit's and pieces which aren't possible on a netbook or smart device apps rather than fully blown web/pc based apps 

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
43 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


I and my wife found the ChromeBook restrictive to a point as if she was wanting to do a job application or amend and send her c.v it's not possible to always send readable files which the recipient can read, she could edit it on the netbook but I had to convert it on my pc into a readable pdf via adobe  or copy and paste stuff into ms word and do the digital signatures.

I amend and update my own website as well as other stuff, so I like a pc that I can have a fully operational security suite which I know is bang up to date and my data is safe as well as the very basic stuff like copy and paste and other bit's and pieces which aren't possible on a netbook or smart device apps rather than fully blown web/pc based apps 

I'm glad you guys know what you are talking about. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
2 hours ago, spruce said:

I'm glad you guys know what you are talking about. 😂


I made myself sound more intelligent than I really am 😅 I do get stumped on stuff honest, but I have someone to fall back on and take over my pc remotely via Team-Viewer when it has all gone Pete Tong 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
19 hours ago, Iron Giant said:


I and my wife found the ChromeBook restrictive to a point as if she was wanting to do a job application or amend and send her c.v it's not possible to always send readable files which the recipient can read, she could edit it on the netbook but I had to convert it on my pc into a readable pdf via adobe  or copy and paste stuff into ms word and do the digital signatures.

I amend and update my own website as well as other stuff, so I like a pc that I can have a fully operational security suite which I know is bang up to date and my data is safe as well as the very basic stuff like copy and paste and other bit's and pieces which aren't possible on a netbook or smart device apps rather than fully blown web/pc based apps 

Funny you should say that, I had the same problem. I was job hunting back in 2014 and couldn’t upload my CV because it wasn’t physically stored on the drive.

 

I don’t have a backup of my website but I probably should. Mines all done with wordpress so I can log in online and edit it “securely”. The security software Google uses is top notch so I wouldn’t be worried about that. Completely agree though there are so many little things that can create issues such as wanting to upload a CV. As a secondary PC that boots up in seconds and is super quick at internet browsing I don’t think you could fault it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
2 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Funny you should say that, I had the same problem. I was job hunting back in 2014 and couldn’t upload my CV because it wasn’t physically stored on the drive.

 

I don’t have a backup of my website but I probably should. Mines all done with wordpress so I can log in online and edit it “securely”. The security software Google uses is top notch so I wouldn’t be worried about that. Completely agree though there are so many little things that can create issues such as wanting to upload a CV. As a secondary PC that boots up in seconds and is super quick at internet browsing I don’t think you could fault it though.


My wife does her via Google docs or whatever, but businesses don't operate using Google software or systems so in that it fails,  so you have to rely on software etc that is common place in big organisations.

I seriously I have my doubts about os's that say they are all up to date with their security when updates are few and far between and Norton can have between 5 -15+ security updates a day, I always run a live update as soon as I open my pc, as for my site it's also wordpress and I check in for updates on a regular basis, I think my web design guy does back-up's not sure, I better ask him today what the crack is

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.