Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to get sub work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dirty dan

I’ve been given an opportunity to approach a multi skilled company who do a lot of work (including the window cleaning) for a big housing association. I know what they get paid for the work as I know the guy who is currently on their books doing to work. Problem is I don’t know how to approach them and what I’m expected to say to them. I’m phoning the guy Monday that runs manages it to arrange a meeting but after that I’m clueless. 

Can any of you give me any pointers or what I should produce to get the work? Thanks

I obviously know how to do the work, just don’t know what I’m expected to show (paperwork) and how I’d price up a (big) job like this with loads of houses/flats. Yes I don’t know but neither did anyone else at some stage

I’ve been given an opportunity to approach a multi skilled company who do a lot of work (including the window cleaning) for a big housing association. I know what they get paid for the work as I know the guy who is currently on their books doing to work. Problem is I don’t know how to approach them and what I’m expected to say to them. I’m phoning the guy Monday that runs manages it to arrange a meeting but after that I’m clueless. 

Can any of you give me any pointers or what I should produce to get the work? Thanks
He really should tell you what they require, H&S policy, risk assessment, method statement, £5 million Liability Insurance are probably some of the things you will need. Some might want references, even recently had one that you had to be VAT registered, now that was a first.

Find out and then start asking. 

Hi Dan,

I work for a couple of housing association's, you just need RAMS like what's been mentioned and they will probably want you to be a member of Chas or one of the other trade bodies. I didn't have a clue when I started and it can be a little daunting at the begging but you will be fine.

Best of luck. 

I obviously know how to do the work, just don’t know what I’m expected to show (paperwork) and how I’d price up a (big) job like this with loads of houses/flats. Yes I don’t know but neither did anyone else at some stage
Take your time pricing, its one thing under pricing a house but under pricing a large commercial job. not good. done that.

He really should tell you what they require, H&S policy, risk assessment, method statement, £5 million Liability Insurance are probably some of the things you will need. Some might want references, even recently had one that you had to be VAT registered, now that was a first.

Find out and then start asking. 

Hi Dan,

I work for a couple of housing association's, you just need RAMS like what's been mentioned and they will probably want you to be a member of Chas or one of the other trade bodies. I didn't have a clue when I started and it can be a little daunting at the begging but you will be fine.

Best of luck. 

Take your time pricing, its one thing under pricing a house but under pricing a large commercial job. not good. done that.
That’s for the info, I’ve got a h&s policy and method statement I’ve already managed to get together just for such an occasion, and I’ve already got the £5m pl in place too. Not done a risk assessment before but that shouldn’t be too difficult, I already have a template. I know what you mean about underpricing, I’ve done it once or twice and I’d certainly wouldn’t want a whole bunch of them underpriced! ?

Do I hand him a copy of it all or just show him I have it? 

That’s for the info, I’ve got a h&s policy and method statement I’ve already managed to get together just for such an occasion, and I’ve already got the £5m pl in place too. Not done a risk assessment before but that shouldn’t be too difficult, I already have a template. I know what you mean about underpricing, I’ve done it once or twice and I’d certainly wouldn’t want a whole bunch of them underpriced! ?

Do I hand him a copy of it all or just show him I have it? 
one of them I my upload my documents on to there system and the other one its just a case of emailing it over so they have it on file. There not really bothered by it, there just covering there **** incase you **** up badly.

Most will want you to do a health and safety questionnaire and to see your insurance and RAMS etc.This is so you can go on there approved contractor list to quote and get new work.I have to do this for most of the one I do work for.

They are all different some will also want you to have accreditation like Safe contractor,Chas or iOS.Some will also require nothing from you apart from your price these tend to be the ones looking for the cheapest quote.

What they require from you will very from company to company you work for.

SSIP is a good one to get.

Training Matrix, H and S handbook, equality and diversity policy etc.

Good luck!

Back