Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How fast can a new windy earn a decent wage ?

So basically I'm a dryliner but I want my own business so I've bought a full set up wfp web site etc just started canvassing after work every night  but was wondering the best way to transition into full time windy? 

Best thing to do is to set yourself a plan to begin with.  A cash-flow forecast is really good, I did one in January when I started my business and I've been lazy and not followed it, but I know from doing the forecast what price I need to charge and how many new customers I need to get.  I checked over my plan for the first time a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how accurate it was, it's pretty much gone to plan.

One thing I have found though is that around March to June it was a bit crazy as there were lot's more one off work coming in (fascia's, conservatory roofs) and this boosted my income early on but you have to be careful to not get too busy with one off's.  I also work part time, so a one off job bringing in £150 then onto my evening part time work seems good, the problem though is that you then have no time to do any sales so you end up doing one off's that only have an immediate impact on your finances but it doesn't help you long term.  

Regular window cleaning is your bread and butter and should be your main focus.  10 new regular customers each month at £20 each is going to bring you £200 extra every month so in theory if you work hard then you could be up to £2k a month at 10 months.  For me I will get half that as I have been held back a bit, partly though being a little lazy on the sales side, but also because of lack of money to invest and lack of time.  There comes a point where trying to clean your current customers windows, hold down a part time job and then do the sales as well means that you become time poor, when this happens it's your sales that take the hit as cleaning your current customers and doing your part time job have to be done, but sales doesn't have to be done, so when you spend less time doing sales your business stops growing as fast.

I think I'll be biting the bullet and handing in my notice for one of my part time jobs tomorrow, it's just getting in the way of me growing the business.  I think if I spent the time doing sales I'd replace the money lost within 2 months, so by month 3 I'll be better off.

Sales is the hard work though, it can be tough but if you keep everything on a spreadsheet you can set yourself targets and look at the turnover increasing month on month, I find looking at my spreadsheets and seeing the turnover grow is a great motivator to get out and get more sales.

It's like plaster boarding houses on new build sites but you get paid per sq metre young man's game really loading sheets of 40 kg plasterboard up windy staircases all day 
Everydays a schoolday. Personally I'd just keep doing what you are doing and leave your job when you've built up a good customer base. You'll find yourself getting messers before you find diamonds.  Good luck.

I'd been window cleaning for a company for 15 years and left last december as had enough and January I decided to go on my own. I had no van no customers no equipment etc I bought a little van which had a 350l tank fitted in already and bought all other things like pumps hoses poles and started knocking doors picking up bits here and there. I made a buisness page on facebook advertising my services etc now 9 months on I've got about £1800 worth of regulars every 4 weeks with a few 8 weekly's and looking at getting a bigger van now as I've outgrown mine already. It's been a hard 10 months with no time off etc but I'm really pleased with how its built up. 

It's like plaster boarding houses on new build sites but you get paid per sq metre young man's game really loading sheets of 40 kg plasterboard up windy staircases all day 
I done a 2 year course in drylining straight after school, used to just mess about and did not have an interest at all ?

I done a 2 year course in drylining straight after school, used to just mess about and did not have an interest at all ?
I've been doing it 3 years onsite and I am the same as you mate it's soo boring 

I'd been window cleaning for a company for 15 years and left last december as had enough and January I decided to go on my own. I had no van no customers no equipment etc I bought a little van which had a 350l tank fitted in already and bought all other things like pumps hoses poles and started knocking doors picking up bits here and there. I made a buisness page on facebook advertising my services etc now 9 months on I've got about £1800 worth of regulars every 4 weeks with a few 8 weekly's and looking at getting a bigger van now as I've outgrown mine already. It's been a hard 10 months with no time off etc but I'm really pleased with how its built up. 
Cheers that's really good info there buddy, I will take it all on board.  

I've been doing it 3 years onsite and I am the same as you mate it's soo boring 

Cheers that's really good info there buddy, I will take it all on board.  
I used to hate the dust going up my nose in the workshop, even the dust masks we got to wear did not help the dust from going in your nose lol

Latest Posts

Back