Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just a rant!!!!!!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris clean

After a few years in this game I have now weeded out most the pain in the butt customers from my round but I think I need another cull ha ha! Had a few annoying ones recently but yesterday an older woman I clean every 6 weeks phoned. On the last clean she said I'm on holiday in 6 weeks so can you make it 7 this time as it will be all locked up. Fair enough I pass her house loads on way to jobs so no issue for me. Yesterday when I answer the phone she doesnt say hi just straight away says I'm ringing to see if somethings wrong as it's almost 8 weeks since you have been. I said no nothings wrong but you wanted me to leave it 7 weeks and it's been lashing it down with rain for a good chunk of the last 3 weeks so I am running a few days behind. She says oh right well it's a long time between cleans. I'm looking in my book and say I am actually coming tomorrow to clean i am on your road so will be there tomorrow. Her answer.... oh no please dont come this fridays rain is forecast!!! Nuff said what can you do lol

@Den yep that's the plan mate. I will do it my normal way by wakking her price up and if she says yes it's worth putting up with her but she will almost certainly say no and its job done ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I normally have a 6 monthly review and always a cull then, I have been asked in the last three months by 2 ex customers to came back on my books but it's the usual sorry my rounds are full.

Im due another cull  soon but I have picked up a lot more than I'm going to cut back. 

I'd walk away. When she asks why, I'd tell her exactly what you told us. Oh! And my favourite parting shot, said quietly and calmly. "Your space has been passed on to the next person on my waiting list". Not saying you have a waiting list. I don't, but it's a lovely feeling when they are made realise the world doesn't revolve around them after all. 

Ps, I wouldn't bother whacking up the price. You'll lose for sure that way. Either she'll stay with you and you'll hate going there, or, much more likely she'll cancel. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd walk away. When she asks why, I'd tell her exactly what you told us. Oh! And my favourite parting shot, said quietly and calmly. "Your space has been passed on to the next person on my waiting list". Not saying you have a waiting list. I don't, but it's a lovely feeling when they are made realise the world doesn't revolve around them after all. 

Ps, I wouldn't bother whacking up the price. You'll lose for sure that way. Either she'll stay with you and you'll hate going there, or, much more likely she'll cancel. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction. ?
That’s basically one of my favourite saying your ‘cleaning slot as now been allocated to someone on my waiting list’  lol.

After a few years in this game I have now weeded out most the pain in the butt customers from my round but I think I need another cull ha ha! Had a few annoying ones recently but yesterday an older woman I clean every 6 weeks phoned. On the last clean she said I'm on holiday in 6 weeks so can you make it 7 this time as it will be all locked up. Fair enough I pass her house loads on way to jobs so no issue for me. Yesterday when I answer the phone she doesnt say hi just straight away says I'm ringing to see if somethings wrong as it's almost 8 weeks since you have been. I said no nothings wrong but you wanted me to leave it 7 weeks and it's been lashing it down with rain for a good chunk of the last 3 weeks so I am running a few days behind. She says oh right well it's a long time between cleans. I'm looking in my book and say I am actually coming tomorrow to clean i am on your road so will be there tomorrow. Her answer.... oh no please dont come this fridays rain is forecast!!! Nuff said what can you do lol
Bless her....but seems to me she aint such a bad customer, and you pass her on the way to jobs anyway, so could perhaps fit her in another day, then six weeks from then, and you have still got £xxx  or whatever.

if a customers says "dont come tomorrow as its forecast rain"...they get dumped there and then...i never go back....you cant run a business with idiot customers like that......i work in all but the worst of weather.....
I’ve had this twice and explained both times. One customer is a star, she is always out for a chat and pays cash. The other one accepted it, paid the clean but then cancelled as she was moving. So I would suggest giving folk a call and explaining the policy first. 

I'm devising a little A5 glossy information leaflet that I will give to customers. This will cover things like the text the night before service, payment options (go cardless only), and of course working in the rain. That way as soon as a customer says the old rain excuse they can be referred to the information leaflet given when they became customers, if still a no, away they go 

I'm devising a little A5 glossy information leaflet that I will give to customers. This will cover things like the text the night before service, payment options (go cardless only), and of course working in the rain. That way as soon as a customer says the old rain excuse they can be referred to the information leaflet given when they became customers, if still a no, away they go 
Double sided payment card A5 on the front I cleaned your windows today, website phone etc, then on the back some basic info about how you are insured, the text notifiction and about working in the rain whichever way you opt to do the layout or include whatever info, this reminds and reinforces what you offer and how things work every time you leave a card after cleaning your clients windows 

Back