Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

HWCS

One near miss to many

HWCS

So after being a trad windy for 6 months, today has frightened the 5h1t out of me, assessed the ground and came to the conclusion it was safe, i was wrong, was lucky that i was only 4 foot off the ground when the ladder went from under me, like Lee Majors in the fall guy i managed to somehow land on my feet.

So with this near miss in mind, i have to cross to the dark side and get myself wfp'd up and start my trad work bottom and bungalows  and wfping anything higher than a step ladder sooner than i thought.

On the off chance that i may get lucky is anybody selling a cheap 2nd hand pole with a couple of brush heads?

Or if anybody can point me in the right direction of a decent deal online anywhere.

Funds are tight.

Will obviously need to be posted to north norfolk.

Edited by HWCS

Davit

Glad you weren't hurt!  At least you're already in the right place for WFP knowledge and help 👍

High-tower

Second hand poles can be a bit tricky if you don’t know what you are looking for, you could easily end up with a shagged out scaffold pole that will put you off for life.

Get a CLX-22 and I’d recommend a medium mixed sill brush with 50 degree fan jets. For under £180 you can’t go wrong. If you can stretch to a swivel gooseneck and a univalve you’ll make the job a doddle.

Edited by High-tower

BigFoot

Making the right decision, working safer is a good buisness plan, as above I’d recommend new pole. My brother took a fall a few years ago and broke his wrist needed an operation and was off for months wasn’t up more than five foot. Can’t earn money in the hospital bed or mortuary.

Bart90
1 hour ago, HWCS said:

So after being a trad windy for 6 months, today has frightened the 5h1t out of me, assessed the ground and came to the conclusion it was safe, i was wrong, was lucky that i was only 4 foot off the ground when the ladder went from under me, like Lee Majors in the fall guy i managed to somehow land on my feet.

So with this near miss in mind, i have to cross to the dark side and get myself wfp'd up and start my trad work bottom and bungalows  and wfping anything higher than a step ladder sooner than i thought.

On the off chance that i may get lucky is anybody selling a cheap 2nd hand pole with a couple of brush heads?

Or if anybody can point me in the right direction of a decent deal online anywhere.

Funds are tight.

Will obviously need to be posted to north norfolk.

Glad you're ok.  Go new, although a bit more expensive it'll last you ages especially just doing tops.  Gardiner SLX22 has served me well.  Great all round pole. While you're at it you can order the backpack with them and get free delivery 😄 

HWCS
2 minutes ago, Bart90 said:

Glad you're ok.  Go new, although a bit more expensive it'll last you ages especially just doing tops.  Gardiner SLX22 has served me well.  Great all round pole. While you're at it you can order the backpack with them and get free delivery 😄 

Yeah i think the plans gonna be contact Gardiner and get a complete set upand see what price they will do me, like i said though funds are tight 

Neil.. Lancashire

Go new, it's going to last years and you will soon get your money back with the extra jobs you get done each day!

Best of luck you wont look back.

Davy G

Glad you're ok, mate. Good luck with your crossover to the magic water stick. 😁

chris clean

Yeah mate your making the right decision I dont really understand why anyone uses ladders for window cleaning these days with the amount of money you can make the set up for wfp will quickly seem like nothing! You will be earning the cost of a pole and a decent brush a day. Also I find more and more when people call or approach me for quotes that they are checking I use wfp and not ladders which is a real reverse from  few years ago where lots still wanted to know what it was. There are still a few trad guys around my way but they are older guys who have been doing it forever and we seem to be getting more and more customers from them cos all the things they cant or wont do like velux in roof / loft extensions guttering jobs etc

Incheck

We’ve just taken over a job from a tradder, poor old fella had been at it for donkeys years. Got electrocuted at the top of his ladder and fell all the way down. The customer said he must have either packed it in or not made it through as he disappeared over 6 months ago after decades of service. You can of course still get electrocuted using a water fed pole. But at least the fall wont come with it 😔

Suhrly

As Green Pro said to me when I first asked for advice about switching, 'You can't clean windows from a wheelchair'. You've had a lucky escape mate and a wake up call. Defo get switched over to WFP!

HWCS

Going to bite the bullet and order backpack and CLX22 next week.

My question now is, what brush, hose, gooseneck, jets, connectors should i be getting?

Should i be getting any spares?

Screenshot_20191023-150750_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by HWCS

CMcB

Glad you were ok!

I got into WFP after a fall from a ladder and realising that the income I lost those 2 weeks with my feet up was equal to the cost of a cheap wfp startup. my opinion is spend on a decent pole like the slx 27 (this will get the awkward one above a conservatory as well and has less flex), a backpack and barrels. I did that for a year and half till I had the funds to get a van and system. 

I've attached what I would go for. 

Oh and definitely get a univalve! 

Screenshot_20191023-164009_Chrome.jpg

High-tower

Get the longer length of hose and you won’t have to move the backpack around so much to reach windows.

Suhrly

Have you got the means to make your pure water @HWCS..?

HWCS
2 minutes ago, Suhrly said:

Have you got the means to make your pure water @HWCS..?

No mate buy ive got a supply from a guy who always has a tank of zero TDS

HWCS

Could somebody have a look over this and make sure ive ordered correct, im assuming if i have a male connector of the hose i need a female connector on the back pack

Also have i chosen the right jets as i dont understand the differences

Screenshot_20191023-184326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191023-184336_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191023-184349_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by HWCS

Suhrly

Yep, EZ male on the pole hose and EZ female on the backpack 👍 as far as jets go, that's a whole different rabbit hole but you can't go wrong with pencil jets imo

Edited by Suhrly

Master Jedi Alejandro

As @Suhrly said start with 2mm pencils then work from there. If you can pay a bit more and get a swivel gooseneck, you will be extremely greatful for it. The only issue is it doesn’t seem to be a selectable option in the drop down menu, so perhaps give them a call to see if they can sell you it as part of the pole (obviously you would pay the extra). @Alex Gardiner is this deliberate or a oversight? 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/goosenecks-pole-fittings/plastic-gooseneck-system/quick-loq-resi-neck-type1-long-swivel-new.html

These video will show you the difference between jets. First one is just comparison, second one is a review. Still start with 2mm  pencils, though. 

High-tower

I would get a stiffer brush, I find that the soft bristles require a bit of extra scrubbing compared. A medium or a medium mixed.

When you decide you need a sack truck to mount it on, buy this one . Nice and robust.

if you will be using barrels to top up your back pack, buy 20 litre ones, or don’t fill the 25 litre ones to the brim, your back will thank you.

J and S

Go for the bigger SLX 27....best thing I did.....got loads of new 3 storey stuff and quite a few with windows over the conservatory that none of the tradders could reach.

The 3 storey customers will pay more for the fact that you can clean them......did some today at £12/£15 a pop....3 at £15 and 4 at £12 all in same general area...moved van 100m twice and done in under 2 hours and really steady away no rush at all.

The 27 is ideal for these and over conservatories....you'll not do them with a 22.

HWCS
5 minutes ago, J and S said:

Go for the bigger SLX 27....best thing I did.....got loads of new 3 storey stuff and quite a few with windows over the conservatory that none of the tradders could reach.

The 3 storey customers will pay more for the fact that you can clean them......did some today at £12/£15 a pop....3 at £15 and 4 at £12 all in same general area...moved van 100m twice and done in under 2 hours and really steady away no rush at all.

The 27 is ideal for these and over conservatories....you'll not do them with a 22.

Cheers for the advice but the SLX is just to pricey for me at the moment, i wish it wasnt but it is

Master Jedi Alejandro
28 minutes ago, HWCS said:

Cheers for the advice but the SLX is just to pricey for me at the moment, i wish it wasnt but it is

You can get the CLX as a 27 but heavier. I have a CLX 22 plus a extension. You add the extension when needed. Mind, i use hoseless so easy to remove and add. 

HWCS
1 hour ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

You can get the CLX as a 27 but heavier. I have a CLX 22 plus a extension. You add the extension when needed. Mind, i use hoseless so easy to remove and add. 

What is hoseless?

Master Jedi Alejandro
2 minutes ago, HWCS said:

What is hoseless?

Only useful if you have a van mount, not any advantage if your just using a backpack (as far as I’m aware). I’ll put a video below which kinda explains it. 

HWCS
2 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

Only useful if you have a van mount, not any advantage if your just using a backpack (as far as I’m aware). I’ll put a video below which kinda explains it. 

Cheers that cleared that up, is there anything @Green Pro Clean Ltd hasnt covered in his videos 😉

Master Jedi Alejandro
1 minute ago, HWCS said:

Cheers that cleared that up, is there anything @Green Pro Clean Ltd hasnt covered in his videos 😉

You order your pole yet?

HWCS
2 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

You order your pole yet?

No mate, ive messaged @Alex Gardiner and asked him to give me a ring as i think i want a different combo of things that come up on the website.

Have spoke to the lad that will supply me with water and agreed a deal with him at £0.05ppl taking 375ltrs a cpl of times a month until end of Feb, so ive gotta get my ar5e into gear and do a home set up water system fairly sharpish.

Master Jedi Alejandro
31 minutes ago, HWCS said:

No mate, ive messaged @Alex Gardiner and asked him to give me a ring as i think i want a different combo of things that come up on the website.

Have spoke to the lad that will supply me with water and agreed a deal with him at £0.05ppl taking 375ltrs a cpl of times a month until end of Feb, so ive gotta get my ar5e into gear and do a home set up water system fairly sharpish.

Good idea mate. Gardiner are cracking. Even if you don’t speak to him their entire team are knowledgable! 

Two more recommendations before I hit the hay. 

1. Get yourself a TDS meter when you order from them. This will both allow you to keep a eye on the water you are buying and also test your own water to see what it’s coming out at. I just use DI myself but it comes out the tap at 75ppm for me. 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/tds-ez-water-quality-test-meter-by-hm-digital.html

2. You were asking about different jet types earlier. The brush you are ordering uses Gardiner’s new capsule system. This allows you to easy swap out jets (again, video in link). Maybe a ideal to order a few different types and see what you like. You’ll get one set free with brush and you should go for 2mm pencils, but you may want to try others also. 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/jet-capsules-quick-release-jets-for-brushes.html

Let us know how you get on!

Iron Giant

I wouldn't have ordered 2mm jets with a back-pack the flow from 2mm jets is painfully slow and it will take an age to rinse, I would opt for the 1.4 mm jets they offer a good flow and will help with water saving, brushes are a very personal thing and sill brushes weigh a ton, for a first brush I would opt for a Super-Lite the medium mixed would be a good first brush just enough scrubbing power and can be used on leaded windows if scrubbing side to side not up and down, this is my own personal opinion form over 11 years experience.

I wouldn't be concerned about trying different jets, pencil jets will serve you well the water goes were you want it to with fans it goes everywhere, You need a decent robust brush and a Super-Lite will do the job as you will catch the window reveals, I see a good few newbies struggling at times with a sill brush and you will more so trying to clean a window above a conservatory from the side, your shoulders and arms will ache as you get used to wfp so far better to go middle of the road with kit when starting out in terms of cost and also the weight of your wfp set up.