Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I stick with this controller or get a better one?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

purpleroad

I've used this controller but it's been a bit funny since I dropped my pump box. It's only £30.  Not sure if it has pressure cut out though

I think they cut out when the digital readers numbers go all funny or 

.Darren ansbro has one for £60.  He gives great advice over Facebook when things go wrong which makes all the difference.   Pure freedom who also have excellent customer service too but £100.

Any advice?  

20191005_130301.jpg

I have 5 controllers from Darren , they are good quality controllers.

U could also replace your controller with a ball valve meaning you just connect your pump to the battery and control your flow with the valve fitting

I have 5 controllers from Darren , they are good quality controllers.

U could also replace your controller with a ball valve meaning you just connect your pump to the battery and control your flow with the valve fitting
This is the inside of my cheapo one now.  Cant work out why it sometimes is powerful and other times just ticking over and squealing 

20191028_101808.jpg

That looks like a £2 pwm controller off eBay, which is hopefully is not.

You can easily make your own. I am starting to prefer the ones with a little display to show the pwm setting. Only need a box, a switch and some wires and tools.

Of course one with a microcontroller and endstop detection will save on your pump pressure switch. But the more fancy controllers also has their quirks.

You can easily make your own. I am starting to prefer the ones with a little display to show the pwm setting. Only need a box, a switch and some wires and tools.

Of course one with a microcontroller and endstop detection will save on your pump pressure switch. But the more fancy controllers also has their quirks.
I paid £35 for it off so this bloke Peter rutherford

Is there any reason you like to have your pump and controller in a wooden box as it looks like you have a van ?  It could be worth checking wires as the connections don't look that great and I can see exposed wire (no offence)

For the past 4 years I've had a varistream controller that has given me no problems its secured to the inside of the van. You would probably be better of spending more on a good quality controller then securing it in a safe place in your van 

Nothing wrong with the ‘cheap’ Chinese PWM controllers. I’ve used them on 3 van builds and 5 trolleys (mostly for other people). Not one of them has failed (going back 5 years). I brought 12 for £24.99. I’ve had one pressure switch go in that time but at £8 I’m still in pocket when compared to a ‘branded’ alternative. 
Check your wiring for any bad connections or potential shorts. Any burn/black marks on wiring or connectors will indicate an issue. It could be the pumps pressure switch if power is cutting in and out but the pump looks pretty new so would doubt it’s that. Intermittent faults are an absolute ball ache to fault find so it could be absolutely anything!!! You could replace the controller and it turns out to be something else. To rule out the pump you could wire it direct (without controller but keep the all important fuse in line) if it misses a beat still the controller is fine and the pump pressure switch needs tinkering with or replacing.

Nothing wrong with the ‘cheap’ Chinese PWM controllers. I’ve used them on 3 van builds and 5 trolleys (mostly for other people). Not one of them has failed (going back 5 years). I brought 12 for £24.99. 

Absolutely agree. I have also used various cheap PWM controllers off ebay with good results on 6-7 builds now. That said the soldering on some of them were sub par, and I fixed them to be sure they would last.

My point was there is a difference in using dirt cheap electronics off ebay in your personal DIY setups, and buying dirt cheap electronics off ebay, put it in a box and sell it at high markup as a professional solution.

Meaning, I hope the supplier of "safe flow" skipped the £1 version and opted for the £3 version the factory did a higher level of quality control on. ?

Nothing wrong with the ‘cheap’ Chinese PWM controllers. I’ve used them on 3 van builds and 5 trolleys (mostly for other people). Not one of them has failed (going back 5 years). I brought 12 for £24.99. I’ve had one pressure switch go in that time but at £8 I’m still in pocket when compared to a ‘branded’ alternative. 
Check your wiring for any bad connections or potential shorts. Any burn/black marks on wiring or connectors will indicate an issue. It could be the pumps pressure switch if power is cutting in and out but the pump looks pretty new so would doubt it’s that. Intermittent faults are an absolute ball ache to fault find so it could be absolutely anything!!! You could replace the controller and it turns out to be something else. To rule out the pump you could wire it direct (without controller but keep the all important fuse in line) if it misses a beat still the controller is fine and the pump pressure switch needs tinkering with or replacing.

Do you have a link for those cheap controllers?

Absolutely agree. I have also used various cheap PWM controllers off ebay with good results on 6-7 builds now. That said the soldering on some of them were sub par, and I fixed them to be sure they would last.

My point was there is a difference in using dirt cheap electronics off ebay in your personal DIY setups, and buying dirt cheap electronics off ebay, put it in a box and sell it at high markup as a professional solution.

Meaning, I hope the supplier of "safe flow" skipped the £1 version and opted for the £3 version the factory did a higher level of quality control on. ?

Would this work?

https://m.lightinthebox.com/p/led-lights-dimmer-switch-dc12-24v_p544530.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=314_17686&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=200770337173&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o13&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=3516490533_857974065_42956485149_pla-383076985802&gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZEiwA5yf4unfuKe7JzHOUtmvyAJsIwHhUqAjn1z2Ohadv_Fu-ZPq4rWQMgRy1axoCqfcQAvD_BwE

My other one broke in picture.   All my equipment gets thrown around.  So just want something cheap.  Its just my backup pump anyhow .  

20191111_105528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use only a plain PWM controller such as this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-40V-10A-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller-Volt-Regulator-Dimmer/312750435409?hash=item48d160ec51:m:mWMCyrNL0oy8LyX-DSszMLw

and are concerned about your pump pressure switch, rewire your system so that the pressure switch operates a 40amp automotive relay and allow the relay to carry the pump motor current. That way the tiny micro switch on the pump will last for years as it will only ever carry about 160 milliamps. The relays are only a couple of £s

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Automotive-Changeover-Relay-with-Bracket-40A-5-Pin-Car-Bike-Van/282011957360

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you use only a plain PWM controller such as this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-40V-10A-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller-Volt-Regulator-Dimmer/312750435409?hash=item48d160ec51:m:mWMCyrNL0oy8LyX-DSszMLw

and are concerned about your pump pressure switch, rewire your system so that the pressure switch operates a 40amp automotive relay and allow the relay to carry the pump motor current. That way the tiny micro switch on the pump will last for years as it will only ever carry about 160 milliamps. The relays are only a couple of £s

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Automotive-Changeover-Relay-with-Bracket-40A-5-Pin-Car-Bike-Van/282011957360

I guess I'd need to find a plastic case to fit that controller in.  Should I just use an old one?   Regarding the relay, I guess order it then try to work out bu reading it online.  If the pressure switch goes on the pump, is that the pump finished?   

Here is the way mine is wired up. I've posted two drawings, one with a controller and one without in case you prefer to run your system that way. Be careful to get the 'positives' and 'negatives' the right way round on your controller or you will blow it up. However, that said it's not a massively expensive mistake with these inexpensive controllers, just frustrating if you don't have a spare to hand if you do.

PS-RELAY_WIRING.jpgPS-RELAY_WIRING_B.jpg

As regards the pressure switch failing on the pump, it is usually the micro switch that goes and it depends on the pump you are using as to how easy it is to find a replacement. With the big pumps like the Sureflo's they are easy to source and fit, if it's one of the small cheap pumps you will have to modify the housing of the pressure switch to make a replacement microswitch fit, but it is possible

Loose connections or an under rated controller are usually what leads to heat build up. You need at least a 10amp rated controller for most of the pumps we use to deliver water to our brushes.

As regards the pressure switch failing on the pump, it is usually the micro switch that goes and it depends on the pump you are using as to how easy it is to find a replacement. With the big pumps like the Sureflo's they are easy to source and fit, if it's one of the small cheap pumps you will have to modify the housing of the pressure switch to make a replacement microswitch fit, but it is possible

Here's a picture of the mod on the smaller pump mentioned in my previous post. You need to cut a hole in the cap for the third spade terminal of the microswitch.

I was completely unsuccessful in sourcing the two terminal version of the microswitch used in these pumps, and as the three terminal versions used in the bigger pumps are the same physical size except for the third terminal and are plentiful and fairly cheap, I did the mod rather than throw an otherwise perfectly good pump away.

PS-Mod.jpg

Loose connections or an under rated controller are usually what leads to heat build up. You need at least a 10amp rated controller for most of the pumps we use to deliver water to our brushes.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-48V-2000W-MAX-10-50V-40A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controll-U5D8/183856642405?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=2&pub=5575376664&toolid=10001&campid=5338268676&customid=Cj0KCQiAtrnuBRDXARIsABiN-7BjfgP1mOC_Qiz0IPorEFAzMuk3TUbl5xgQqifNLLvWzNEHpRlTJwkaAsZgEALw_wcB&lgeo=1&item=183856642405&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2182155970631&rvr_ts=6e679d4716e0a48a87f02dc1ffce8ec1&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=7f40b4f4-0255-4b2f-9737-55a292b49bb4&epid=28026011466

It all sounds quite complicated.  I guess just have a go.   Regarding the cases.  I found this one above in a case so I guess get that.  Cant find them.   I was told an on /off switch too otherwise these controllers wont turn off by themselves. 

Here's a picture of the mod on the smaller pump mentioned in my previous post. You need to cut a hole in the cap for the third spade terminal of the microswitch.

I was completely unsuccessful in sourcing the two terminal version of the microswitch used in these pumps, and as the three terminal versions used in the bigger pumps are the same physical size except for the third terminal and are plentiful and fairly cheap, I did the mod rather than throw an otherwise perfectly good pump away.

View attachment 18360
Totally lost.  What's a terminal.  U mean wires?  Where's the micro switch on that photo?   

Your drilled hole is the one between two screws?

Where u get plastic casel

The picture doesn't show the wires connected to the terminal on top as I'd only just done the mod when I took the picture. If you have one of these pumps and remove the two screws on top and remove the cap it will become clear. Do it carefully so you can see how to refit it.

Back