Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial price enquiry

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DJT

Hi all, been asked to pw and re sand the block paved area of a small industrial estate. Rough size of area to do is around 750m2. I know £3 seems to be the average for residential or there abouts but would you go higher or lower on such a large area? Few dodgy pics attached! 

Screenshot_20191106_211425.jpg

Screenshot_20191106_202039_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191106_202018_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When pricing stuff like this I do two things , I work out the sm and then work out what the price would be based on around £3-4 per sm , I then look at the whole area and think how long will it take me and what would I earn per hour at the £3-4 per sm if that figure is lower then I go by my hourly rate instead of price per sm , also is it just a clean or re sand as well if it’s re sand you need to add more to cover the cost of it , or that’s what I do anyway.

@Pjjit does need re sanding and also there is not on site water tap to there knowledge so I may have to hire a stand pipe from servery trent ?. £3pm2 seems reasonable plus price of sand on top

On any big job, very little experience on this type of work, I just work out how long I think it will take. Now if this job is going to take you 3 days and cost you £500, sand and water, then £2k is a good price. On the other hand if it's 2 days, in my mind, it's unrealistic, if it's 5 days it's borderline. 

Couple of pointers.

When you put photos onto a forum and or Google Earth screen shots make sure all of the obvious signage and addresses are not on them.

I've just had a walk round your potential works, I know exactly where it is and who I could contact to try and pull the work from behind your back.

I'm not that sort of person and won't be doing that, the approach may get someone nowhere because they have asked you specifically but you have given more than enough information for someone to try.

It's block paving in basically 3 sections, if I'm right.

A standpipe will cost you the hire plus £1.77m3 for water, for a job that size possibly £70.00 all in but you need an account with Aquam Corps who do all the hiring of standpipes for a lot of the major water companies.

You should also only be extracting from a washout (WO) and not a fire hydrant (FH). If you pull from a FH you are breaking the law and if they catch you it can be a £5000.00 fine.

With my set up it's a comfortable/easy 2 days, depending what machine you have allow 3.

You should do the works out of hours (after 5pm) so you're not disturbing the businesses, it'll probably be full of cars in the daytime anyway & be aware that there are some residential homes close by.

It's not a million miles away from me, done lots of work in Wolverhampton.

I'll walk you through the work if you want or I can help you out or I can take care of the work for you and give you a nice drink if they go with the price.

As has been said, re-sand is a waste of time and it won't be done until you get a couple of dry days which is nigh on impossible this time of year.

The sand in that stopped being sand a long time ago and there'll be no problems with it being cleaned without a re-sand. The blocks aren't going to move without anything between them.

I won't poach the work.

Whatever you decide it is a nice little job that will come up well and a good photo addition to your portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of pointers.

When you put photos onto a forum and or Google Earth screen shots make sure all of the obvious signage and addresses are not on them.

I've just had a walk round your potential works, I know exactly where it is and who I could contact to try and pull the work from behind your back.

I'm not that sort of person and won't be doing that, the approach may get someone nowhere because they have asked you specifically but you have given more than enough information for someone to try.

It's block paving in basically 3 sections, if I'm right.

A standpipe will cost you the hire plus £1.77m3 for water, for a job that size possibly £70.00 all in but you need an account with Aquam Corps who do all the hiring of standpipes for a lot of the major water companies.

You should also only be extracting from a washout (WO) and not a fire hydrant (FH). If you pull from a FH you are breaking the law and if they catch you it can be a £5000.00 fine.

With my set up it's a comfortable/easy 2 days, depending what machine you have allow 3.

You should do the works out of hours (after 5pm) so you're not disturbing the businesses, it'll probably be full of cars in the daytime anyway & be aware that there are some residential homes close by.

It's not a million miles away from me, done lots of work in Wolverhampton.

I'll walk you through the work if you want or I can help you out or I can take care of the work for you and give you a nice drink if they go with the price.

As has been said, re-sand is a waste of time and it won't be done until you get a couple of dry days which is nigh on impossible this time of year.

The sand in that stopped being sand a long time ago and there'll be no problems with it being cleaned without a re-sand. The blocks aren't going to move without anything between them.

I won't poach the work.

Whatever you decide it is a nice little job that will come up well and a good photo addition to your portfolio.
Thanks for the advice, I thought I doctored photos but obviously not well enough lol. I clean the windows for the units so that's why they asked me. I'm waiting to here back from aquam. I was thinking three decent days to complete. Good to know that it doesn't have to be sanded 

As far as the hydrant riser - I would check whether there is a WO in the close before you put any price together.

When I look round my jobs on Google earth I can normally find them but there's a lot of shrubbery on that one that may be hiding it and or there isn't one and it is on the main road.

If it's on the main road they are generally always right in the flow of traffic - which raises further get arounds.

The detail is so clear that I can see two service valves next to each other on the left hand side, by the lamp post as you are coming towards the main road and with that ought to be able to see the WO.

I've just had another 5 minutes looking for the WO and it looks like it is on the other side of the main road, on the pavement.

At a minimum you either need to go and fill up every time your water tank runs empty or  run a hose, in rubber conduit across the road and make sure you've got plenty of cones and signage and a decent 3/4 inch hose.

Back