Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin has anyone?

Another option is what I did when I first started out and buy gardiner six pole and accessories and a gardiner backpack. Then either a tanks or barrels for your van. But then I found a local supplier of pure water so I could build up enough cash to buy a decent RO/di set up for my garage. You may have a spotless water near you or round here loads of other local suppliers. Even if you spent 20-30 quid a day buying your pure its tons more than making it yourself but that's still a lot of profit on a full days work and wont take you long to have enough for your own set up

Haven't just started mate, been making my own water for 11 years .It Is still cheaper to make my own with my NRTS allowance.

There is a shortage of resin. I don't like moving away from my usual suppler Doug from Daqua but he's out of stock.

I have got this lot from GAPS water.

******** post!

Supplier running out! Yes it's one supplier!

Two bags delivered today just incase from Wintecs. Bag and a half spare but you know, just incase more than one runs out.....

Never heard of wintecs. Like the post said I like to use a reliable supplier as I have brought my usual resin from other places and its been rubbish. 

Never heard of wintecs. Like the post said I like to use a reliable supplier as I have brought my usual resin from other places and its been rubbish. 

A branded bag of resin is just that it won’t make any difference where you buy it , I always go to Gardiners for quick  , and reasonable prices order today delivered tomorrow cannot ask for more than that .

I buy the Unger resin, currently £65 a bag I think. Might be better out there but I always seem to be able to get hold of it. Considering how important this stuff is to us why doesn't everyone keep at least 3 months worth in stock. 

I buy the Unger resin, currently £65 a bag I think. Might be better out there but I always seem to be able to get hold of it. Considering how important this stuff is to us why doesn't everyone keep at least 3 months worth in stock. 
Just took your advice, and decided to go with the Unger one too. I normally go with Tulsion MB, but inc vat it was £94 something!! Loose change back from a £100 for a bag of resin Crazy. If the ‘shortage’ carries on, that’ll be £100 soon!

Reminds of when I first had to pay £10 for a cinema ticket. Outrage haha!.

Now when I went to see the new terminator the other week, at the new Odeon in Bournemouth town centre, in the Isense screen, on a Saturday night, including online booking fee was £15!! 

I'm told today that the 115 will always be short supply because of shipping issues.

Never had an issue getting it I only use a bag a year Gardiners have always had it in stock when I have ordered it , on that note I must remember to order a bag as I change it every December.

That price on Ebay for 2 bags they will be selling it at a loss, if they are not aware of it as Ebay now take off 15% off your price which is very high. I have pulled out of Ebay as it's just one big money laundering site that is not monitored. Legit Businesses can no longer compete with the amount of laundering that goes on.

I do occasionally check Ebay on Tulsion listings and if a price is too good to be true then you know something is going on. To protect the genuine brand I do some investigations then challenge the seller then the listing quickly disappears as they are aware I know what they are doing.

It ranges from false advertising of goods not Tulsion MB-115 and surprisingly employees stealing from their employers then selling it on Ebay. There has also been a VAT element disappearing to another listed company.

Spectrum we did once sell but the feedback we got back from the majority of our customers we decided not to sell it again.

Resin issue I think may get tighter on the MB side as a major national manufacturing has pulled the plug on speciality resins in Europe. This has left a big vacuum as a result other manufacturers are trying to get that slice of that vacuum left.

The problem this leaves that this is a longer process to manufacture so the not so profitable resins capacity would have to be cut to make way for the more profitable resins.

Lead times I am hearing are now going out to 2 years. There are a few Chinese based companies that would be willing to supply MB resin but without specification so the quality can vary. To manufacture an ion exchange resin to specification the process is longer and the resin beads have to be of high quality. Without specification you will get low quality beads and there is no guarantee on the quality and there would be no QC check.

Another huge factor we are finding in the last couple of years is climate change which is hampering the manufacturing process worldwide. It ranges from floods to shortage of water with some factories having to close for weeks.

You will get some on forums that will shout out it's just a fear factor but trust me these are very challenging times and I don't see it getting better. Not just this market but other markets are being effected from food to consumer goods. 

We are sold out 2 months in advance and have not been able to list individual bags for some time now. Hopefully mid December we may have a limited amount for sale for January delivery.

There is still supply out there but one to watch and I would advise keeping at least a month's supply on hand at all times.

I looked at ionics resin prices before and seems a decent price. There's different buyers out there with some on di only in soft water areas and those using it for after ro, so for some it makes no real difference if they pay £10 extra as a bag lasts them a year.

I personally think there's a bit of price rigging going on with resin but looking at wintecs prices for other things it's in line which brings me to another point... Why are the sellers dropping products? There's no one stop shop with them, I'll buy poles from gardiners then I'm looking elsewhere for this and that. You could get a di vessel from gardiners for £35+vat and from  elsewhere it's £80. The sellers are at it!

I personally think there's a bit of price rigging going on with resin but looking at wintecs prices for other things it's in line which brings me to another point... Why are the sellers dropping products? There's no one stop shop with them, I'll buy poles from gardiners then I'm looking elsewhere for this and that. You could get a di vessel from gardiners for £35+vat and from  elsewhere it's £80. The sellers are at it!
There is no price rigging going on. When the price is too low then someone is selling it underhand. For example I am fully aware customers asking for cash deals if VAT removed. If a company does this they will get caught when they get audited. Not worth the risk and it is breaking the law. Even asking someone to do that is asking them to break the law.

What you will find with sellers dropping products is it's not worth stocking items that takes 3/4 months to shift as it effects your capital flow. It is better to invest in items that move a lot faster off the shelf.

With regards to DI Vessels the structural vessel there is very little difference in them. Funny though colour does have a big impact on sales. The internals yes there is a huge difference. The product we use is a lot more expensive and we have trialled many and I could go the cheap route but it has an impact on the performance.

This is a test I did. I tested 5 various DI Heads and internals against resin that had been used a lot. Input water was from and R/O system with booster pump and ppm was 004 ppm. 3 tested systems gave a reading of 001 ppm out of the DI and 2 tested systems reading 000 ppm out of DI. In conclusion the 3 systems reading 001 were not fit for purpose as you would be chucking away resin that had not fully exhausted. The 2 more expensive systems performed better and you got more millage out of your resin.

This does not bear any reflection of Gardiners vessels as have never tested them and Gardiners have a bigger purchasing than us.

One thing I noted with DI Vessels there was a lot of complaints resin not lasting long but having looked into the issues with our customers it all came down to the DI Vessel and a supplier selling these. One example I had a customer who was adamant shouting over the phone the resin was rubbish and loads of people talking about it over the forums. I drove and hour over to his house tested what was coming out and he was correct 005 ppm. Took out his DI head assembly and replaced it with ours. Water came out at 000 ppm.

Didn't even get a thank you or cup of tea ?  

I spoke to the Supplier and they now seem to have rectified this.

There is no price rigging going on. When the price is too low then someone is selling it underhand. For example I am fully aware customers asking for cash deals if VAT removed. If a company does this they will get caught when they get audited. Not worth the risk and it is breaking the law. Even asking someone to do that is asking them to break the law.

What you will find with sellers dropping products is it's not worth stocking items that takes 3/4 months to shift as it effects your capital flow. It is better to invest in items that move a lot faster off the shelf.

With regards to DI Vessels the structural vessel there is very little difference in them. Funny though colour does have a big impact on sales. The internals yes there is a huge difference. The product we use is a lot more expensive and we have trialled many and I could go the cheap route but it has an impact on the performance.

This is a test I did. I tested 5 various DI Heads and internals against resin that had been used a lot. Input water was from and R/O system with booster pump and ppm was 004 ppm. 3 tested systems gave a reading of 001 ppm out of the DI and 2 tested systems reading 000 ppm out of DI. In conclusion the 3 systems reading 001 were not fit for purpose as you would be chucking away resin that had not fully exhausted. The 2 more expensive systems performed better and you got more millage out of your resin.

This does not bear any reflection of Gardiners vessels as have never tested them and Gardiners have a bigger purchasing than us.

One thing I noted with DI Vessels there was a lot of complaints resin not lasting long but having looked into the issues with our customers it all came down to the DI Vessel and a supplier selling these. One example I had a customer who was adamant shouting over the phone the resin was rubbish and loads of people talking about it over the forums. I drove and hour over to his house tested what was coming out and he was correct 005 ppm. Took out his DI head assembly and replaced it with ours. Water came out at 000 ppm.

As you have witnessed on the forum, no one seems to appreciate anything now. They want everything immediately and when it doesn't happen they begin jumping up and down and stamping their feet. If you give the company or person the benefit of the doubt then they will remember your good deed and always try to help you out. Some folk have banished themselfs from Grippatank without even placing an order because of what they have wrote. Very silly regarding business sense, they never know the future and one day they may need them but grippa will not need them. fwiw

Doug I always buy my resin off you. but your out, you know I have sourced MB from other suppliers and its rubbish. This is why I have given spectrum ago. It not that much cheaper than what your selling. You know gaps water that's why I gave it a go because June is very honest,but now the main bulk of resin is now manufactured in India, I'm not so sure MB we be up to much for much longer.   

Don Logan said:
Doug I always buy my resin off you. but your out, you know I have sourced MB from other suppliers and its rubbish. This is why I have given spectrum ago. Its not that much cheaper than what your selling. You know gaps water that's why I gave it a go because June is very honest,but now the main bulk of resin is now manufactured in India, I'm not so sure MB we be up to much for much longer.   

Doug I always buy my resin off you. but your out, you know I have sourced MB from other suppliers and its rubbish. This is why I have given spectrum ago. It not that much cheaper than what your selling. You know gaps water that's why I gave it a go because June is very honest,but now the main bulk of resin is now manufactured in India, I'm not so sure MB we be up to much for much longer.   

Gardiners have plenty in stock give them a call

Back