Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter clean plan

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pegasus

Have been asked to clean but the location of some well embedded weeds in the corners is an issue. There is no realistic ladder access and dont think the gutter vaccuum could get it out. Any ideas?

20191107_140205.jpg

20191107_140151.jpg

You might have a problem with a cable in the gutters. There appears to be one coming down from the corner where the worst clump is. If the cable is tied into that then it will probably pull it out. Start from the right hand edge, don't just go straight for the big clump. 

That cadle clearly runs over the gutter or under it, just be careful.

My Atom (the baby of the bunch) would do this easy.

Id also start from the 'cleanest' end of the job

That cadle clearly runs over the gutter or under it, just be careful.

My Atom (the baby of the bunch) would do this easy.

Id also start from the 'cleanest' end of the job
And it could be also run inside the gutter, lazy electricians, aerial fitters, etc regularly run them inside gutters rather than fasten them behind the gutters. By the way it's hanging it isn't fastened anywhere so probably run inside the gutter. 

Gutter vac and hook should get that out ok , but that ivy growing up there if it’s gone inside the roof might be a pain , I would try the gutter hook on it and see how it goes 

I had a similar problem last year. I don't have a gutter vac but I was able to get a ladder to the right hand end. As the other guys suggested to you, I started with the cleaner (right hand end).

I pulled what I could towards me with a Harris pole and Gutter Pro tool. I have the full set for the different shape gutters. I couldn't pull the large, growing piece towards me with the Gutter Pro, so what I did was cable-tied a painter's S hook (the type used for holding a paint tin, b&q ) to the Harris pole. You could fasten it to a wfp if you need to. I use a Ladder Limb (b&q) to hold the bucket. The S hook, used carefully was able to loosen the greanery and pull it towards me.

on another job a couple of years back with a really long gutter in a similar situation I didn't have a pole long enough. What I did was ; I used a set of drain-rods with the corkscrew fitting to slide along the gutter, screw in and pull towards me. Not easy as it kept breaking up the growth. My son tied a cloth to a pole, having first removed the brush, and swept the loose stuff along the gutter till I could reach it . We've also done this to clean valleys.

PS. I hope you priced to empty the valleys as well. FYI,  in my case I charge £3 per meter for valleys and high gutters, with a minimum of £25 a run.

You might have a problem with a cable in the gutters. There appears to be one coming down from the corner where the worst clump is. If the cable is tied into that then it will probably pull it out. Start from the right hand edge, don't just go straight for the big clump. 
What's the best way to deal with cables in gutters when using a vac ordinarily....  Are they an issue with just leaves and moss etc on top or only when tied into big bulks of weeds?   I'm on the verge of getting a vac as I have a queue of customers needing gutters done and would prefer to do it from the ground.

What's the best way to deal with cables in gutters when using a vac ordinarily....  Are they an issue with just leaves and moss etc on top or only when tied into big bulks of weeds?   I'm on the verge of getting a vac as I have a queue of customers needing gutters done and would prefer to do it from the ground.

Not generally a problem unless grass has its roots around the cables then it’s a pain I normally just vac the turfs out and the cables will come out with it pull the turfs off the cable and push the cable back into the gutter with the pole . 

My worst case scenario if gutter vac or ladder access/pole doesnt work. Get on the roof when dry and come down the valley!

Hoping the vac works!

If it's first floor then I'll get the ladders out and pull the cable out, vac them and then replace them. Ive done gutters when there's been 5 different cables in them. The vac runs along the top and doesn't clear them to a standard where I'm happy. Never encountered cables above first floor. 

Back