Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How’s Your Morning Going? (Electric Heater Reccomendations)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Morning all,

Hope your days are going more successful than mine. I actually only had an hour to do, a block I couldn’t access yesterday. Checked van this morning, everything was working, nothing frozen. So went to work. Turns out I was wrong.

41DAD6E4-2020-4C91-98F2-C0BFE735E339.jpeg

CLX is actually fine but thought I’d soak it anyway. The gooseneck value in the Supermax appears to have frozen up. It turns but let’s no water through. So will soak it all for a few hours. 

Wondering if anyone has any electric heater Recommendations? Looking for one with a thermostat (so it only comes to stop everything freezing) and fall detection. I have my own drive and power so running a line to the van isn’t a problem, I already do it each night to charge the battery. 

Thanks all! 

screwfix are doing one for £20

ae235

Thanks lads. What’s the advantage of a oil filled one? The one I had been using is a electrical one (if you look through the top you can see the metal heat up)
They are still electrical really, as you still have to plug into the mains. Its just they are quite economical and safe. Theres oil in them, sealed in, you dont have to do anything to do with that, just plug in, and the oil heats up inside. You can set the thermostat low, so it only heats up when the temp goes below 2 or 3 degrees.

They are still electrical really, as you still have to plug into the mains. Its just they are quite economical and safe. Theres oil in them, sealed in, you dont have to do anything to do with that, just plug in, and the oil heats up inside. You can set the thermostat low, so it only heats up when the temp goes below 2 or 3 degrees.
Thanks mate, I'll pick one up. The one you posted, do you have that one? If so, any good? Wondering if I should go for a slightly larger one. 

Thanks mate, I'll pick one up. The one you posted, do you have that one? If so, any good? Wondering if I should go for a slightly larger one. 
I dont have that screwfix one, mines by dimplex but the same thing really. May as well get a cheapy, should be fine. Wont need to be big, that one will be plenty adequate for a van, I set mine real low, so most of the time it wont be using power, only when it dips below 2 or 3 degrees.

I use a 4 foot tube heater.

Stays in the van all year as I have a caravan outdoor socket on the bumper to power ro booster pump and heater.

About 25 quid and uses about 16 pence a night when on.

Mounted it on the side of the van near the roof on the double skin but easier if the van has ply lining. 

4 foot long and about 4 inches wide so bo space taken up and can keep it in there. 

Like this.

Screenshot_20191115-140547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Stays in the van all year as I have a caravan outdoor socket on the bumper to power ro booster pump and heater.

Mounted it on the side of the van near the roof on the double skin but easier if the van has ply lining. 

4 foot long and about 4 inches wide so bo space taken up and can keep it in there. 

Like this.

View attachment 18364
 Thats more ideal, no lugging heater in and out plus you cant get cheaper than 16p a night I doubt

Many moons ago people were recommending Greenhouse heaters the ones you fill with Paraffin. Bought one, did the job but come the morning driving the van I was high as a kite, that's the last time I used it. ?
I tried one about four years ago with the same result. I only used it the once too. ?

I then tried an oil filled electric rad. It didn't work for me as it didn't spread enough heat throughout the whole van. Then I tried a small fan heater, that worked ok. Finally I fitted a 2kw immersion in the tank. Loads of insulation on the tank. Job done. Water is heated to 60c for the windows and the very small amount that radiates from the tank is plenty to prevent the kit from freezing. I know radiators work for most people but heating the tank water rather than the air is my preference by far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried one about four years ago with the same result. I only used it the once too. ?

I then tried an oil filled electric rad. It didn't work for me as it didn't spread enough heat throughout the whole van. Then I tried a small fan heater, that worked ok. Finally I fitted a 2kw immersion in the tank. Loads of insulation on the tank. Job done. Water is heated to 60c for the windows and the very small amount that radiates from the tank is plenty to prevent the kit from freezing. I know radiators work for most people but heating the tank water rather than the air is my preference by far.
That's how I feel each morning with the petrol fumes from my van mounted pressure washer. 

The petrol tank lid is designed to let air in so inadvertently lets fumes out.

Buzzing in the mornings.

Like this.

View attachment 18364
Does it need to be mounted? My van is small so I need something I can take out each morning, but also don't have lots of spare room in there with all the equipment.

From what I can gather you’ll be better off with one with frost protection. Not all of them have it
Yeah been looking at that. Will pick stuff up tomorrow. To be warm the next night or so then get frosty again.

Back