Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone had this happen lol

Hyzer373

Arrived at a customers house who was not home and went to check the gate was unlocked, it was but it’s a knackered gate which is really difficult to open, always have to give it a good barge while lifting it from the ground, neighbour must of looked outside and seen a man with a woolly hat on trying to break through the door.

I got it open and then just heard a voice say is everything ok? Turned around and was the women from next door looking at me like I’m a burglar lol I said yeah I’m just here to do the windows she said oh are you the window cleaner I said yeah the gate was playing up, she just said ok and walked off.

Kind if annoyed me a little as it felt rude and she didn’t even apologise or explain why she was asking me or maybe I’m overthinking it.

Have any other windies had this happen?

Arrived at a customers house who was not home and went to check the gate was unlocked, it was but it’s a knackered gate which is really difficult to open, always have to give it a good barge while lifting it from the ground, neighbour must of looked outside and seen a man with a woolly hat on trying to break through the door.

I got it open and then just heard a voice say is everything ok? Turned around and was the women from next door looking at me like I’m a burglar lol I said yeah I’m just here to do the windows she said oh are you the window cleaner I said yeah the gate was playing up, she just said ok and walked off.

Kind if annoyed me a little as it felt rude and she didn’t even apologise or explain why she was asking me or maybe I’m overthinking it.

Have any other windies had this happen?
yep....ive had neighbours phoning the police when ive let off the customers burglar alarm as well as neighbours wondering what im doing!...this of course was years ago before i had a smart sign written van and uniform....?..it doesnt happen these days....im part of the furniture where i work (ive been cleaning that long in the area!)

Ha ha, happened to me about 8 weeks ago I was asked to pop round and quote a job in a street I was working on, I told the guy a would call once I was finished the job I was on with, he said he wouldn't be home but if I could call round that would be great, anyway been a shortie I had to clamber up the side gate to undo the top bolt to have a look at the back of the house 

next thing I hear someone shouting, Oi what are you doing, neighbour over the road was shouting out of a bedroom window, she was questioning me like mad I felt like I was been interrogated , my signed van was parked about 20 meters away and you can read the logo on the back of my jacket from a good distance, she still took some convincing ?

I’m not so bothered by a neighbour keeping an eye out for their neighbour’s security as I am by neighbour’s interfering and causing me agro. Like when they don’t see you clean a window because they get called away from their window by the doorbell and inform your customers that you are leaving windows out or as in one case for me years ago when a neighbour of a customer thought I’d missed out the entire back of a house and ‘reported’ me and very nearly cost me a customer 

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't think your being a bit "sensitive" do you mate?

I believe that whilst they are looking out for their neighbours property they are also looking out for you without them actually realising it.

Just tell them you have been asked to price the house (or whatever) and applaud them for the neighbourliness.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s good to hear that neighbours are looking out for each over.

A few weeks ago I was abroad on holiday and had arranged for a guy I know to come and remove a couple of scratches on my van whilst it was parked on my drive.

I live in a cul de sac and several of us all have keys for our houses.

When I got back, I went around to pay Neil (the scatch guy) and he informed me that four different neighbours had approached him to make sure he wasn’t up to no good.

In my opinion there should be more of this ?.

Pub, then curry time (lamb Bhuna Vindaloo tonight I think I’ll choose  ?).

Have a great weekend fellow windies ?

It’s good to hear that neighbours are looking out for each over.

A few weeks ago I was abroad on holiday and had arranged for a guy I know to come and remove a couple of scratches on my van whilst it was parked on my drive.

I live in a cul de sac and several of us all have keys for our houses.

When I got back, I went around to pay Neil (the scatch guy) and he informed me that four different neighbours had approached him to make sure he wasn’t up to no good.

In my opinion there should be more of this ?.

Pub, then curry time (lamb Bhuna Vindaloo tonight I think I’ll choose  ?).

Have a great weekend fellow windies ?
Bottoms up lol

Couple of weeks ago we finished a gutter, as we're getting in the van some old trout collecting the residents association money comes along and asks if anybody's in... Thought I'd humour myself by being awkward and make them feel like the suspicious one! She's about 70 lol

You've over thinking it mate. She has no reason to apologise for looking out for the neighbourhoods security. I think what you're more disgruntled by is that you didn't get a pat on the back / thanks / have a nice day / bye type of response. In that respect yeah it was a bit rude but that's society these days - don't worry about it.

A good few years ago, a woman stopped me while entering a close. Litterally stood in my way.

My customer had already buzzed me in, she just happened to be leaving as a I was entering the close.

Who are you?

Who are you going to?

I just politely told her my name and business name, and that I was there to see a customer. 

Who is your customer?

"I am not giving you my customers details, its private information." I replied.

She said "I am just asking because my Mum lives here, and I want to know who might be going to her door". 

"That fine I can understand, well you know who I am now". 

I wanted to say,

Its a comumal close you pillock, are you going to intergogate everyone visiting the other 5 people who live here. 

I got the impresion that if I was a woman, I would have been free to pass unincumbered.

A good few years ago, a woman stopped me while entering a close. Litterally stood in my way.

My customer had already buzzed me in, she just happened to be leaving as a I was entering the close.

Who are you?

Who are you going to?

I just politely told her my name and business name, and that I was there to see a customer. 

Who is your customer?

"I am not giving you my customers details, its private information." I replied.

She said "I am just asking because my Mum lives here, and I want to know who might be going to her door". 

"That fine I can understand, well you know who I am now". 

I wanted to say,

Its a comumal close you pillock, are you going to intergogate everyone visiting the other 5 people who live here. 

I got the impresion that if I was a woman, I would have been free to pass unincumbered.
Well wear your dress next time then ??

Back