Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

3 storey gutter job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Macclesfield

Hi guys,

Ive got 2 3 storey gutter jobs on the pipeline, but I only have a ladder at the moment, which isn’t big enough... lol. Is there any ladders out there big enough to get up to 3 storey gutters? Or would you recommend investing in a gutter vac? 

If I got a gutter vac, what sized pole would I need to get that high? 

Can anyone recommend a decent vac? 

And where I can get one from around Stoke on Trent?

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Many thanks, Luke. 

Defo, not worth trying to kill yourself for a few bob. Plenty of high end Vacs but will cost a lot or you could buy an Atom. If you want to save money and make your own then it will cost £800. £200 for a maxblaster, £200 for spinaclean 51mm side outlet, 10m 52mm hose and both cuffs. £400 for eight carbon poles from ebay.

Defo, not worth trying to kill yourself for a few bob. Plenty of high end Vacs but will cost a lot or you could buy an Atom. If you want to save money and make your own then it will cost £800. £200 for a maxblaster, £200 for spinaclean 51mm side outlet, 10m 52mm hose and both cuffs. £400 for eight carbon poles from ebay.
Can you not just buy a decent one for around £800 anyway? I’ve seen one at

thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk. What you think that will be like, it’s £900 including vat. 

92B43C2A-4A01-4001-A00A-8CB4C4CCC1DA.png

Can you not just buy a decent one for around £800 anyway? I’ve seen one at

thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk. What you think that will be like, it’s £900 including vat. 

View attachment 18369
This will do the job, as long as it's a modernish building. Only problem is it's a front entry so it will take longer, and be harder to do, then a side entry. You will need to find how you're going to get the power to it though. 

Do you have a link for the max blaster? ?

I did a three storey gutter job a couple of weeks ago. Had to use a ladder to remove the hedgehogs first. They were zip tied in every metre so was a real pita. My 4 metre triple reached it no problem. I always use my safety harness and work as a two man crew when working that high. I checked all the downspouts whilst I was already up there then used my gutter sucker junior to remove all the sludge from ground level powered by a 3200w wolf generator. Not the best genny I know but it does the job. 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What’s the theory behind a front entry blocking more than side entry, can’t seem to get my head around it ??‍♂️

I did a three storey gutter job a couple of weeks ago. Had to use a ladder to remove the hedgehogs first. They were zip tied in every metre so was a real pita. My 4 metre triple reached it no problem. I always use my safety harness and work as a two man crew when working that high. I checked all the downspouts whilst I was already up there then used my gutter sucker junior to remove all the sludge from ground level powered by a 3200w wolf generator. Not the best genny I know but it does the job. 
Thanks for the advise bud ?

The problem with the Genie is that it has front entry and 40mm diameter. All that will happen is that it will continually block. My maxblaster was the same till I made it a side entry with a 50mm diameter and it makes a big difference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industrial-Vacuum-Cleaner-Wet-and-Dry-80L-CARWASH-KIT-6pc-Free-Kit-3000W/252273559136?epid=7031190076&hash=item3abcad0660:g:0ecAAOSwxvxW8XrU
Cheers mate ? I’m not sure about making my own as I’m useless at DIY, I think I’d be better buying something that’s already built up lol. 

This will do the job, as long as it's a modernish building. Only problem is it's a front entry so it will take longer, and be harder to do, then a side entry. You will need to find how you're going to get the power to it though. 
Would that be the same for all of the vacs? Would I need a generator or access to a plug? 

Please can somebody recommend me a decent vac that comes with poles, camera, side entry and whatever else I need to do an efficient job on all gutters. If you could send me a link that would be great. Thanks. 

What’s the theory behind a front entry blocking more than side entry, can’t seem to get my head around it ??‍♂️

The problem with the Genie is that it has front entry and 40mm diameter. All that will happen is that it will continually block. My maxblaster was the same till I made it a side entry with a 50mm diameter and it makes a big difference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industrial-Vacuum-Cleaner-Wet-and-Dry-80L-CARWASH-KIT-6pc-Free-Kit-3000W/252273559136?epid=7031190076&hash=item3abcad0660:g:0ecAAOSwxvxW8XrU

Front entry tend to be 40mm entry and have a plastic bit inside to prevent debris being sucked towards the motors. This causes the majority of blockages. 

Side entry, the Spinaclean casting, is 51mm and sends the dirt round the side of the bin so is open ended. They still block but usually at the tool end. 

Would that be the same for all of the vacs? Would I need a generator or access to a plug? 
All front entries will block more than side entries. If you're only using it for light dirt, or even lumps of turf, then it will be ok. It's when you get to thick heavy sludge and leaves when you'll be stopping every few minutes. 

Please can somebody recommend me a decent vac that comes with poles, camera, side entry and whatever else I need to do an efficient job on all gutters. If you could send me a link that would be great. Thanks. 
As long as you buy a decent, good airflow, metal vac, then buy a side entry from Spinaclean. 

https://www.spinaclean.com/skyvac-industrial-replacement-vacuum-port

You have to make the hole a little bigger so you need to be able to cut the steel drum. If you can't then I'm sure you'll know someone that can. I did it and I'm hopeless at DIY. 

You then have a good side entry gutter vac at half the price of buying from one of the big names. 

Front entry is usually smaller diameter and the air doesn't circle. Think Dyson noticed this and changed the air flow. To increase the pressure in a fire engine pump, you increase the revs and the impeller spins faster.

The standard entry point gets blocked with slates, tile and mortar (now and then) and it's due to the plastic molding at the rear of the entry point.

I've yet to modify mine but I think you'll need something inside to deflect it away from the motor as it doesn't matter if it's at the front or side it'll go straight to the motor without something directing the muck away.

I've not seen the inside of a skyvac but maybe someone could confirm if they have a modification infront of the float.

The standard entry point gets blocked with slates, tile and mortar (now and then) and it's due to the plastic molding at the rear of the entry point.

I've yet to modify mine but I think you'll need something inside to deflect it away from the motor as it doesn't matter if it's at the front or side it'll go straight to the motor without something directing the muck away.

I've not seen the inside of a skyvac but maybe someone could confirm if they have a modification infront of the float.
Side entry will put all the dirt on the side of the drum with minimal dirt going towards the motor the dirt in effect spins round like a vortex and drones to the bottom and outside of the drum , I have never had a side entry vac block , but a centre one I had blocked every time I used it needless to say I got rid of it very quickly as it was only a small cheap one 

Lol it's a drum, it doesn't matter where the hole is! Turn the head round and it's at the side. It's the size of the entry point that's the issue with larger parts muck.

Lol it's a drum, it doesn't matter where the hole is! Turn the head round and it's at the side. It's the size of the entry point that's the issue with larger parts muck.
Don't usually correct people's opinion but in this case I will. The head is the motor so no matter how far you turn it a front entry with the safety plastic removed will fire it directly towards the motors. 

I've been gutter vaccing for 8 years and without side entry every first floor job would be done off ladders. 

Back