Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Subcontractor Uniform

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Morning all,

Wonder if anyone has any experience of this. I’m about to take on a subcontractor to do some of the work (it’s my brother in law to be). I was hoping to give him a highvise with my company info on it, just to make him look a bit more pro (I’m also getting them for myself). There was also talk of getting magnets for his van so when he was doing my work he would stick them on. However, my account says this will make him look too much like a employee (he has his own work, fyi). Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? 

Thanks all!

I don't know much about this, but in case you didn't know you will need employers liability cover as he is working under your instruction and providing you do everything above board you shouldn't have any issues, I used to be subbed by a cleaning firm to do builders cleans and some show houses on a regular basis it was there work that I was doing but I invoiced them after each completed job for the agreed amount of each job and then would be paid via bacs at the end of each month,

I wouldn't supply workwear at all as this is no doubt were you could fall foul, sub contracting has been going on for years a perfect example is the building trade typically new build houses as an example multiple trades all subbed and turning up in their companies signed vans and workwear non of them wear the housebuilder's logoed workwear even if it is a hi-viz vest. Some lads used to be what you would call self certificate I think it was years ago they were registered as self-employed payed there own taxes etc but were subbed and supplied jobs by a company who had contracts with house builder's 

Last edited by a moderator:
Strictly speaking he's correct but how will HMRC find out. The only danger would be if the future brother in law has an accident, or claimed you never gave him holiday pay or pension, and then claims he was working for you and you supplied him work wear etc. 

I have done contract work for cleaning companies and worn there high vies for that job. What Part timers says is correct but if your brother in-law as is own work and doesn't use your tools or van you will be fine. 
Yeah this was what I was thinking. I was just hoping it would be ok since it’s just to let customers know he’s legit and it’s still us. I don’t see him turning around and saying stuff, he’s a good honest guy, but people and circumstances do change so best to err on the side of caution. It’s just frustrating as it would make it a lot easier for customers to know it’s all above board but don’t wanna do anything wrong. 

I don't know much about this, but in case you didn't know you will need employers liability cover as he is working under your instruction and providing you do everything above board you shouldn't have any issues, I used to be subbed by a cleaning firm to do builders cleans and some show houses on a regular basis it was there work that I was doing but I invoiced them after each completed job for the agreed amount of each job and then would be paid via bacs at the end of each month, 
Hey mate, spoke to my insurance about this but as long as his insurance is the same level of cover, he’s using his own equipment, he can choose when to do the work and he can sub someone else to replace him, he can go down as a bonafide subcontractor, so that’s all good. I would say to anyone reading this to always call their insurance, this does not constitute legal advice.  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back