Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

-2 degrees tonight

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

Its started,  reel  out of van in house tonight,  Poles , you could feel the ice in hoses already,   Sleeping bag over pump and hoses, hopefully get out in morning when ice cleared away.     water turned off at tank.

Brrrrrrrrrrr

My reels are also bolted in, so oil filled radiator on low and I’ve also turned on my three foot tube heater which is permanently screwed to the side of the van ?

Stuck in bed the past few days with what has been a very violent case of norovirus ?

Theres a frost outside apparently so if anythings frozen up ive had it, as i’m too weak to go out and prevent matters ?
That should be the last of the frost for a while according to the forecast I looked at.

Hope you get back to rude health very soon.

That should be the last of the frost for a while according to the forecast I looked at.

Hope you get back to rude health very soon.
Cheers dude, im coming out the other side, stomach has seized up so everything is staying in but its knocked the wind out of me for sure. First The boy, then me and the mrs, now my mum and her neighbours. Very contagious. Not good at all. Apparently theres been a few outbreaks across the uk

Checked everything this morning, no ice or issues but im holding on till it warms up a bit more before I begin my working day........ which will be half a day by time I begin.

my van must have some good insulation installed, only had frost on the windscreen inside nothing else!

i used to bring my pump box inside,poles,reel,etc every time the temperature went below freezing overnight...absolute pain....now i dont bother bringing anything inside,my reel is bolted in and i have a diesel heater with a frost stat setting so the heater comes on for 10 mins if the water in the tank gets below 2c.....i do have an oil filled radiator too but i would only put that in the back if it was forecast to get to a harsh -10 or something overnight....

this way once ive purified my water and put my batteries on charge at the end of my working day i can leave it till morning then..just like i do the rest of the year...

I had the tube heater on for the first time last night. It was -3 here when I started this morning and no issues. 
The only issue I’ve ever had was the external ports and hose (only about 1ft) freezing once last winter. Had to get the kettle on it!

I had the tube heater on for the first time last night. It was -3 here when I started this morning and no issues. 
The only issue I’ve ever had was the external ports and hose (only about 1ft) freezing once last winter. Had to get the kettle on it!

My outside tap was frozen last night so I couldn't fill my tank. I'm just going to trad today with hot water in my bucket 11am till 3pm. Was trading my last job yesterday, a small bungalow and my fingers ended up freezing but its going to warm up next week thank God.

First winter and first frost affecting my gear.  Like an idiot I left my pole and water in the van over night.  Got up this morning thinking the water would have de-iced and it had.  Went to first customers turned my pump on in backpack and i could hear it working but I pulled my univalve and nothing.  

I thought because my pure water was not frozen it would be ok.  Does putting de-icer in pure water ruin the PPM?  or will it work?  

Any advice on how I can prevent this happening again?  Ive brought my pole indoors, I am guessing there will be ice in the pole hose?  Got some de-icer but unclear if I should use it in my pure water.  Im only a small set up with one pole and a back pack.  My capacity is about 175L of pure in 25 L water cans.

What about anti freeze into the pure water?
Personally don’t think it’s worth the effort , you would need quite a lot of it , provided you can keep the inside of the van warm with a fan or oil heater you should be fine , the pump and hose will freeze before the tank , if it’s freezing that bad the water will freeze on the ground after cleaning and you then either have to deal with that or hope that no one slips on it , if it’s that bad it’s time to go home , we use hot water but you are still limited with working if it’s that bad 

Good timing as we have just extended our indoor parking from 3 vans to 7 vans ? last year was a headache defrosting all the vans in the morning, no time wasted on a morning now ! :)

started,  reel  out of van in house tonight,  Poles , you could feel the ice in hoses already,   Sleeping bag over pump and hoses, hopefully get out in morning when ice cleared away.     water turned off at tank.

Brrrrrrrrrrr
This time of the year is not so bad though....once its daylight the day warms up very fast, After new years is the worst for equipment getting frozen up.

Im local to u so if u get stuck u can park your van in my lock up if u wish :) we have 2 spaces available for 2 more vans so not a problem ;)

Good timing as we have just extended our indoor parking from 3 vans to 7 vans ? last year was a headache defrosting all the vans in the morning, no time wasted on a morning now ! ?

This time of the year is not so bad though....once its daylight the day warms up very fast, After new years is the worst for equipment getting frozen up.

Im local to u so if u get stuck u can park your van in my lock up if u wish ? we have 2 spaces available for 2 more vans so not a problem ?

Haz, I have to hand it to you. You have come a long way since those training days and your single Berlingo van. Much respect from me to you because I honesty didn't think you were going to make it. Actually, neither did the trainers and some of the others on the course.

Good on you. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally don’t think it’s worth the effort , you would need quite a lot of it , provided you can keep the inside of the van warm with a fan or oil heater you should be fine , the pump and hose will freeze before the tank , if it’s freezing that bad the water will freeze on the ground after cleaning and you then either have to deal with that or hope that no one slips on it , if it’s that bad it’s time to go home , we use hot water but you are still limited with working if it’s that bad 

I'm pretty sure Hot water will actually freeze quicker on the ground than cold! Hence why they use it on ice rinks, I could be completely mistaken though haha

Sympathise with you @Dino I've had a similar experience this morning. Thinking I was all clear to go at 9 this morning I drove to the first house, unpacked my gear, turned on the backpack, connected it up and pulled the univalve. Water came straight out then stopped dead!

ended up taking the goose neck off to see what's what, turns out the valve had frozen inside and out, blocking the flow. Rubbed it between my hands and the ice shattered off, valve became unstuck and off we go again.

seems like the valve is the weak point, no sign of damage however once it was warmed up. Maybe ice in the line as well compounding the problem. Least it's getting a tad warmer tomorrow so I can catch up.

Back