Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to advertise?

ClearerWindows

Hi all i wont bore you with useless rubbish ill jump straight to the point ive been going for over a year now and im starting to get loads of work through facebook groups. I use facebook ads but its potluck and more often than not im wasting money, i have a yell ad which i get nothing from, i use leaflets which so far ive had nothing from and im going to start knocking on doors. Is there anything else i can do to bring people in and has anyone else had issues with getting new work like this? I have all 5 star reviews not one single bad review and im getting a decent reputation around the area and a few recommendations but all paid advertising just flops. Ive tried using demographics for facebook ads and tweaking it, so far ive managed to get loads of engagements but nothing to pay me back for the ads so i dont know where im going wrong. 

Also has anyone used royal mail for leaflet canvassing? Im thinking of using a third party to drop off for me 

Facebook ads only works if u are willing to spend £10,000 + plus on it in one go...we have got a lot of facebook ad vouchers this year so that means i pay like 10% of the actual ad cost. of the actual cost, so i save 90% ? Ive spent over £1500 on facebook ads this year so in other words i have spent £15,000 + this year on facebooks ads... the results are not very good compared to the amount of money u spend , but its worth it for me as i only paid 10% of the actual cost.

If i had actually spent £15,000 i would be crying right now considering the results, but the results from the £15000 are very good i have to say.

The best way to gain customers is to go door knocking , word of mouth and leafletting are good methods to pick up customers , we have picked up a lot of customers this years via walk ups.... a sign written van helps a lot.

Also like you said you been going over a year, once you add a few more years on top of that a lot of word of mouth recommendations will come your way. But if u want quick results i suggest u door knock it is free and costs you nothing but your own time.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ClearerWindows I use the same avenues as you. I have sacked off Facebook ad's as it's just throwing money away. Facebook community groups are great. Yell is **** and a waste of money (Can't wait for my contract to end) The best i've found, especially on the gutter clear front but also window cleaning is checkatrade, costs £35 per month but at the end of the year if you're not satisfied they'll refund all the money...

Cheers lads ive tried door knocking in the past and had no success so i dont know if its my appearance that puts them off ? and yeah cant wait to be done with yell myself, dont know how long i have left but its more than half a year ? ive looked 8nto checkatrade before actually and spoke to someone there but they only had like 10 searches a month in the areas im working but that was last year it might be different now plus id imagine having checkatrade stickers is more appealing to customers and also finishes the proffesional look off a but so it might be worth me looking back into 

I am a huge advocate for leaflets, but you have to be prepared for a low 0.5% to 2% enquiry rate. I would honest post until there is no tomorrow if I was starting again. 

I do find I get a steady flow of enquiries when not advertising, which I think I owe a good deal of to my website. Which ranks 1st on google searches for window cleaner in my area.

Every window cleaner I've spoken to, that went with the Yell cold call, have said that it wasn't worth it in the slightest.

Are there any people on here who found it useful? 

Every window cleaner I've spoken to, that went with the Yell cold call, have said that it wasn't worth it in the slightest.

Are there any people on here who found it useful? 
It's worked out pretty well for me. Started by just paying £12 per month and probably averaged a couple of enquiries a week. After 6 months I started paying about £30 per month to expand the area and in the summer I was probably averaging about 5 enquiries per week from it. Hopefully I won't need it for too much longer but I've probably gained about 100 jobs from it in the last year including the walk up jobs I've gained while out doing them.

@ClearerWindows I use the same avenues as you. I have sacked off Facebook ad's as it's just throwing money away. Facebook community groups are great. Yell is **** and a waste of money (Can't wait for my contract to end) The best i've found, especially on the gutter clear front but also window cleaning is checkatrade, costs £35 per month but at the end of the year if you're not satisfied they'll refund all the money...
Checkatrade quoted me about £80 per month!

It's worked out pretty well for me. Started by just paying £12 per month and probably averaged a couple of enquiries a week. After 6 months I started paying about £30 per month to expand the area and in the summer I was probably averaging about 5 enquiries per week from it. Hopefully I won't need it for too much longer but I've probably gained about 100 jobs from it in the last year including the walk up jobs I've gained while out doing them.

Checkatrade quoted me about £80 per month!
how long ago? Before they brought in the fairer pricing policy? They now charge each trade differently...

Get your van sign written it’s the cheapest form of advertising and will pay for its self in a very short space of time .

Back