Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much to clean my windows ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Perryb91

Please tell me I'm not the only ones to get these ?

Just wanna message back an absurd figure like £500 wait for the what! Could be £10, could be £100 I look at every job now unless Its a neibours and they message me as I'll half half a clue. Funny thing is its "these people" that will be shocked when your not 4 quid and you'll never hear from them again. 

I have a novel way for pricing windows cleans. I use the council tax formula. Up to £100k then £6 to £8, £200k house then a tenner, £300k house which is usually detached then £15. It seems to work for me and no one has pulled me up rearding it. A conservatory is an extra £5 to £10. I take 25mins to clean a detached house which means £30 an hour. I did 5 detached and 3 semi today and made £109 in 4hrs. Showed a customer the grass growing out of her gutter and have that to clear for £50 because she is my customer, if not then I would charge a ton because i don't really want one off's.

Just wanna message back an absurd figure like £500 wait for the what! Could be £10, could be £100 I look at every job now unless Its a neibours and they message me as I'll half half a clue. Funny thing is its "these people" that will be shocked when your not 4 quid and you'll never hear from them again. 
Yes I've had that. It was like trying to get blood out of a stone getting any other information from her other than what she'd first given in her text.....  "How much , front, side back, prices please" .LOL.  In the end i never heard back when I eventually quoted.  Like you say, probably expected £4!

Yes I've had that. It was like trying to get blood out of a stone getting any other information from her other than what she'd first given in her text.....  "How much , front, side back, prices please" .LOL.  In the end i never heard back when I eventually quoted.  Like you say, probably expected £4!

Mate snap! Chances are if I've been lazy and not looked ironically I tend to under price it ? they are so vague with everything I get mid way through messaging them and already dont want it lol! If I wanted to play charades I'll keep you in mind 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a novel way for pricing windows cleans. I use the council tax formula. Up to £100k then £6 to £8, £200k house then a tenner, £300k house which is usually detached then £15. It seems to work for me and no one has pulled me up rearding it. A conservatory is an extra £5 to £10. I take 25mins to clean a detached house which means £30 an hour. I did 5 detached and 3 semi today and made £109 in 4hrs. Showed a customer the grass growing out of her gutter and have that to clear for £50 because she is my customer, if not then I would charge a ton because i don't really want one off's.

No issue pricing mate, just issue with people messaging me going - 8 windows how much ?

No issue pricing mate, just issue with people messaging me going - 8 windows how much ?

Its worse in my area as I have one Russian woman constantly asking me "How much for one little flat window?" informed her of the price but she kept asking everytime she seen me. In the end it was a polite, "Sorry, I have stopped doing residential now and concentrate solely on commercial cleaning." It was utter bullsh*t but it stopped her hounding me for like two weeks and now shes back ? I've seen her house, Its not a one bed flat with a tiny window, it was a 4 story new build, and she was indicating it was the skylight at first but once i told her the price she was insistent I quoted £3.00 for the whole house... Don't think so love... Keeping an eye out for her if I see her I don't get out of the van until she has left the vicinity ?

I always ask for pictures to be sent by email or txt no pictures no price , windows could be green with algi and not been cleaned for years , they might say they have 10 small windows and when you turn up they are 8x5 feet each , many say they haven’t got a conservatory when asked then you turn up and suprise suprise you turn up to do the job and there is a conservatory the size of a small bungalow, been had like this before , there are so many time wasters I generally won’t go out to quote unless it’s a big Manor House or similar , but giving them a price from pictures doesn’t  cost me time or money , if we then get the job fine if not I don’t care as we dont need any more work so I am very selective what we take on .

I always ask for pictures to be sent by email or txt no pictures no price , windows could be green with algi and not been cleaned for years , they might say they have 10 small windows and when you turn up they are 8x5 feet each , many say they haven’t got a conservatory when asked then you turn up and suprise suprise you turn up to do the job and there is a conservatory the size of a small bungalow, been had like this before , there are so many time wasters I generally won’t go out to quote unless it’s a big Manor House or similar , but giving them a price from pictures doesn’t  cost me time or money , if we then get the job fine if not I don’t care as we dont need any more work so I am very selective what we take on .

Has to be done, I always quote double now regardless of how clean they say they are because that's my insurance for getting stitched up. Im probably more ruthless (but not rude) then I should be but I dont want a headache of a round because I'm impatient. Cant quite cherry pick yet though @Pjj maybe one day..

@Splitpin93 mate sounds like your being harassed, do you dive in the back of the motor whenever she comes past ? my old boss used to say this would be a great job if it wasnt for the customers 

I just say "I would have to take a look first before I can give you a price. I can drop by this week and I will post a quote".

If they still hem and haw, then they are probably just tyre kickers, so I just say "its geberally around £1.50 per window". 

Ten years ago there was people cleaning windows in my area for £3 and £4. I still get customers expecting that kind of price.

I love it when i get, "My pal or relative only pays X amount". Its a different property. Different number of windows, different height, different window cleaner. 

Your not the only one

Had one texted how much for a terrace, I sent back depends on how many windows if extension etc, easy access or hard. Reply was just normal terrace. Got addresss finally, popped round, was  technically a terrace, the end one and bigger than the others with a bay window on the front,off street parking in front of all the row, a single story extension on rear with patio doors, and she said a normal terrace!!!!

Its worse in my area as I have one Russian woman constantly asking me "How much for one little flat window?" informed her of the price but she kept asking everytime she seen me. In the end it was a polite, "Sorry, I have stopped doing residential now and concentrate solely on commercial cleaning." It was utter bullsh*t but it stopped her hounding me for like two weeks and now shes back ? I've seen her house, Its not a one bed flat with a tiny window, it was a 4 story new build, and she was indicating it was the skylight at first but once i told her the price she was insistent I quoted £3.00 for the whole house... Don't think so love... Keeping an eye out for her if I see her I don't get out of the van until she has left the vicinity ?

You should have said you don't take Rubles. ?

I just say "I would have to take a look first before I can give you a price. I can drop by this week and I will post a quote".

If they still hem and haw, then they are probably just tyre kickers, so I just say "its geberally around £1.50 per window". 

Ten years ago there was people cleaning windows in my area for £3 and £4. I still get customers expecting that kind of price.

I love it when i get, "My pal or relative only pays X amount". Its a different property. Different number of windows, different height, different window cleaner. 

It's all part of the learning process which being a bit green have fallen fowl to but now starting to wise up.

I do think perceptions are probably changing with it, which actually I'd say is due to having expensive looking wfp equipment opposed to a mob and squeege as peoples perception may be different. 

Had one texted how much for a terrace, I sent back depends on how many windows if extension etc, easy access or hard. Reply was just normal terrace. Got addresss finally, popped round, was  technically a terrace, the end one and bigger than the others with a bay window on the front,off street parking in front of all the row, a single story extension on rear with patio doors, and she said a normal terrace!!!!

Fair play that could of been a proper stitch up! I'm sure you priced accordingly ?

Apologies btw I'm still trying to work out how to not quote an entire thread while replying! 

Personally I like to meet custy (to vet them ?) but top tip for akward/rush jobs - get the address/postcode and streetview the house, it gives a good indication of house type/size/window types - leaded(eek)/condition/access etc...and then go satellite view to see the plan for layout/round the back etc and if they have a conservatory/or even veluxes (it tells you how recent the image so you know if current). Usually can give them an indicative price in minutes without travelling (I go with range £30-£50 will confirm once I've seen it...) It sorts the wheat from the chaff with minimal time/travel etc

It's all part of the learning process which being a bit green have fallen fowl to but now starting to wise up.

I do think perceptions are probably changing with it, which actually I'd say is due to wfp (not knocking trad) but a sign written van with a magic water stick sends a different impression from few ladders on a motor again which I ain't knocking in atall but you atleast look like a proper outfit. 

I wouldn't say trad guys aren't a proper outfit.

I am trad, I wear logoed uniforms, all my docs are designed in photoshop, I have a website, I drive a little white fiat dublo panel van. My customers get txt notifications if I am on holiday and going to be running late, I have an online payment system(paypal/go cardless). Most enquiries I get are by email now, and I try to reply within the hour.

I would agree perseptions are changing but I would say its more to do with the things mentioned above than It is to so with WFP. I have seen some WFP guys starting out of a car, just as most trad guys do.

I wouldn't say WFP is more or less professional.

My trad van vector design I will be getting done soon...

side vecotor.jpg

I wouldn't say trad guys aren't a proper outfit.

I am trad, I wear logoed uniforms, all my docs are designed in photoshop, I have a website, I drive a little white fiat dublo panel van. My customers get txt notifications if I am on holiday and going to be running late, I have an online payment system(paypal/go cardless). Most enquiries I get are by email now, and I try to reply within the hour.

I would agree perseptions are changing but I would say its more to do with the things mentioned above than It is to so with WFP. I have seen some WFP guys starting out of a car, just as most trad guys do.

I wouldn't say WFP is more or less professional.

My trad van vector design I will be getting done soon...

View attachment 18427

Looks very professional , nice ,clean, simple , all you need now is a tank and pole ???, no being  serious looks very good ,wether trad or wfp you can be professional or cowboy 

Never said they wernt a proper outfit and in no way insinuated that either so can only apologise if that's how you took it. 

Perhaps I should of said, having more advanced kit gives a more "premium" image oppose to a mop and squeegee. 

Sorry if it came across any other way

Never said they wernt a proper outfit and in no way insinuated that either so can only apologise if that's how you took it. 

Perhaps I should of said, having more advanced kit gives a more "premium" image oppose to a mop and squeegee. 

Sorry if it came across any other way
No offense taken. But even wfp guys need to break out the squeegee now and then.

Years ago, it was an estate car and a ladder was the dream setup. Now its large panel vans and as you say £xxxx's of equipement. 

But I think how you present yourself and your business, has more to do with the change in perception than which method you choice to do the job.

Just 10 or 15 years ago you never had half the tools you can buy now. I remember WCW before it had a WFP section. You didnt have CRM software like cleaner planner, a window cleaner with a card machine in his pocket, no one would have imagined. Paying a window cleaner by direct debit 10 years ago?

I also think what you charge has a bit to do with it also. Charge pennies and they wont think much of it as a occupation. As pricing mobes on so does there opinion.

No offense taken. But even wfp guys need to break out the squeegee now and then.

Years ago, it was an estate car and a ladder was the dream setup. Now its large panel vans and as you say £xxxx's of equipement. 

But I think how you present yourself and your business, has more to do with the change in perception than which method you choice to do the job.

Just 10 or 15 years ago you never had half the tools you can buy now. I remember WCW before it had a WFP section. You didnt have CRM software like cleaner planner, a window cleaner with a card machine in his pocket, no one would have imagined. Paying a window cleaner by direct debit 10 years ago?

I also think what you charge has a bit to do with it also. Charge pennies and they wont think much of it as a occupation. As pricing mobes on so does there opinion.

Couldn't agree more, if only I'd worded it that way initially! Again apologies if it ruffled any feathers. I love trad work and actively sell internals for that reason ? 

Latest Posts

Back