Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner back pack - output is pulsating

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tango

So my BP around 10 months old I think and not exactly heavily used..

Just lately i've noticed the water when coming out of the brush head appears to be pulsating instead of flowing smoothly like i'm sure it once did.

Any thoughts please?

Tango

This is backpacks for u , cheap and nasty From china , only good for short term use, backpacks will break down on u as they are cheaply built.

Ditch the backpacks and invest in a purefreedom trolley and u will then never have a problem again.

This is backpacks for u , cheap and nasty From china , only good for short term use, backpacks will break down on u as they are cheaply built.

Ditch the backpacks and invest in a purefreedom trolley and u will then never have a problem again.
I found the pf well built but not very practical as they are quite heavy all be it I had the 50 litre version. My worker has been using a gardeners back pack on a daily basis for the last 12 months or so and it’s never missed a beat. Even if it only lasts 12 months I won’t be too bothered at £90 plus vat. 

gardiner backpacks are awesome we use them a lot for softwashing using hypo they last at least 3 years , before any problems at £115 that’s very good value for money and we use them every week for this type of work so over its 3 years that’s got to be hundreds of hours use at least . For someone starting out a back pack is a very good starter , pure freedom in my first hand experience are absolute rubbish and cost £600 upwards ?? A back pack is far better value for money 

I only use backpack and had this one 2 years and used all day yesterday with hypo and doesn't miss a beat.

Wanted a bigger pump so put a 5lpm one in a couple months ago but the old was is still fine.

Can't beat them for the money.

With all due respect Gardiners back packs have an excellent reputation for their robustness and I won't hear you say another bad word about them.

The only reason I posted this topic was because I'm unsure if it's just something i've never noticed before or if i've got unlucky or done something stupid to cause it. If you think I could lift a 50L PF trolley through someones front and back doors multiple times a day then you're very wrong (plus lifting it in / out of the car). The Gardiner BP does the job well for me and I will not be swayed from it.

My Gardiner back pack is in it's 3rd year.....only replaced the pump and that's it, it's even still on the original battery!  Brilliant bit of kit and I love Gardiners for the after sales service -  second to none and the reason I don't go anywhere else.

Sucking in air? Or indeed a hole in your pole hose would kind of Venturi air in.

Fill it up, undo the connector on the orange out hose, turn it on and like fruck.

If it’s still pulsing then there could be some **** in the pump. This is easily sortable.

Mine seems to pulsate when the battery is getting low on charge. 

Interesting that you say that.. the other day it charged up quite quickly - I was pleasantly surprised.

When i plugged it in again two days later after just one job, it took hours to charge. Doesn't seem to show any other signs of dying though.

I found the pf well built but not very practical as they are quite heavy all be it I had the 50 litre version. My worker has been using a gardeners back pack on a daily basis for the last 12 months or so and it’s never missed a beat. Even if it only lasts 12 months I won’t be too bothered at £90 plus vat. 

With all due respect Gardiners back packs have an excellent reputation for their robustness and I won't hear you say another bad word about them.

The only reason I posted this topic was because I'm unsure if it's just something i've never noticed before or if i've got unlucky or done something stupid to cause it. If you think I could lift a 50L PF trolley through someones front and back doors multiple times a day then you're very wrong (plus lifting it in / out of the car). The Gardiner BP does the job well for me and I will not be swayed from it.

gardiner backpacks are awesome we use them a lot for softwashing using hypo they last at least 3 years , before any problems at £115 that’s very good value for money and we use them every week for this type of work so over its 3 years that’s got to be hundreds of hours use at least . For someone starting out a back pack is a very good starter , pure freedom in my first hand experience are absolute rubbish and cost £600 upwards ?? A back pack is far better value for money 
The 50litre version is terrible, the 25 litre is perfect, and we have no problem in manouvering the 25litre trolley, the pure freedom trolley beats any backpack on the market, the pure freedom valued at £600.00 is good value for money as it will last your long enough.

I am saying this down to my own experience.....

I had 3/4 gardiners backpacks in 24 months and i also had several other backpacks and they are all cheaply built from China, i have bought a lot of backpacks in my time and they are not as reliable as a pure freedom trolley, the backpacks seem to have one problem after another, for the first 3/4 months of heavy use the backpack then starts to have problems, and when i say 3/4 months of heavy use i mean getting used 6 days per week 6/7 hours per day.

@Alex Gardiner is the number 1 for poles etc... no doubt about that, i have used them since day 1, but i am not a fan of any backpack on the market lol

Instead of spending £120 on a new backpack every few months i decided to invest in a pure freedom trolley that has been with me for over 3 years now and still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Tango

Looking at the issue you have raised:

Does this do this on all pump speed settings?

Does this do this when the battery has just been charged?

When i turn up the speed i don't notice it - but the motor is spinning faster and driving the pump faster / smoother so i wouldn't expect to notice it then anyway. I keep it on minimum speed most of the time to conserve water (although my speed has increased now on my regulars so i'm often finding i could be more generous).

Yes also when it's just been charged - but i'm still not sure if it's just something i've never noticed before or something new thats cropped up..

Last edited by a moderator:
The 50litre version is terrible, the 25 litre is perfect, and we have no problem in manouvering the 25litre trolley, the pure freedom trolley beats any backpack on the market, the pure freedom valued at £600.00 is good value for money as it will last your long enough.

I am saying this down to my own experience.....

I had 3/4 gardiners backpacks in 24 months and i also had several other backpacks and they are all cheaply built from China, i have bought a lot of backpacks in my time and they are not as reliable as a pure freedom trolley, the backpacks seem to have one problem after another, for the first 3/4 months of heavy use the backpack then starts to have problems, and when i say 3/4 months of heavy use i mean getting used 6 days per week 6/7 hours per day.

@Alex Gardiner is the number 1 for poles etc... no doubt about that, i have used them since day 1, but i am not a fan of any backpack on the market lol

Instead of spending £120 on a new backpack every few months i decided to invest in a pure freedom trolley that has been with me for over 3 years now and still going strong.
Had use of a pf trolley from @Cghwindowcleaning for a while. 

Had a duff battery but I stuck an old gardiners backpack battery in it and was spot on.

Used to use it with a reel as a van mount as has shurflo pump and spring controller on it.

Good bit of kit.

When i turn up the speed i don't notice it - but the motor is spinning faster and driving the pump faster / smoother so i wouldn't expect to notice it then anyway. I keep it on minimum speed most of the time to conserve water (although my speed has increased now on my regulars so i'm often finding i could be more generous).

Yes also when it's just been charged - but i'm still not sure if it's just something i've never noticed before or something new thats cropped up..

It may be that the pressure switch is slightly restricting the action of the pump when on lower flow rates. To adjust this you will need to open up the base of the backpack and find the adjustment screw on the end of the pump - to make it slightly less sensitive you would need to tighten this screw by about half a turn.

I have two gardiner backpacks they don’t  get used much only to take thru a couple of houses and a few country cottages with small garden full of plant pots and delicate flowers so use them and the PF nano trolley so not to cause damage, Both are brilliant for what they are used for, had mine for over three years still like new. 

Latest Posts

Back