Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro system up n running

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HWCS

Smell of kerosene gone from IBC and im up n running.

Only producing 15LPH but its a start and its only cost me £120 to buy install and set up, so if i can run it for 6months and build my round even bigger and replace it before i start needing water quicker than this can produce, i will be chuffed af.

Ive been told to move the IN reader to just before the resin as opposed to before the filters, any opinions would be welcomed.

20191124_144401.jpg

20191124_150726.jpg

20191124_150807.jpg

20191124_161056.jpg

20191124_161102.jpg

20191124_161108.jpg

The in wants to be after the membrane before the resin Di vessel. 
so your sediment and carbon filters don’t lower your TDS but when it goes through the membrane the TDS lowers for example mine is a TDS of about 280 tap, goes through filters then membrane it then measures around 6ppm, then goes through Di my out is positioned just before the water goes into holding ibc tank which has an out of 0 ppm. Hope this helps. 

Tds meter in and handheld meter are showing different readings?  before you fill your glass with tap water you should let it run a while before taking the reading. 

Is that ppm305 then after ro 001 or is it rodi 001

305ppm is out of my Tap (irrelevent really)

250ppm is out of my boiler feed pipe which is where ive tee'd into to run my system

0ppm is coming out of my RO system, which does have a small DI unit on

1ppm is out of my 1000ltr IBC

Ive now moved the inline ppm meter to measure in before the Di Resin rather than before the pre filters, and its 2ppm going into the resin and 0ppm coming out of the resin and into the IBC

The in wants to be after the membrane before the resin Di vessel. 
so your sediment and carbon filters don’t lower your TDS but when it goes through the membrane the TDS lowers for example mine is a TDS of about 280 tap, goes through filters then membrane it then measures around 6ppm, then goes through Di my out is positioned just before the water goes into holding ibc tank which has an out of 0 ppm. Hope this helps. 
Yeah literally just replied to @Den i have moved the meter.

Tds meter in and handheld meter are showing different readings?  before you fill your glass with tap water you should let it run a while before taking the reading. 
Yeah i did mate, but for some reason my boiler feed pipe is running 50ish ppm lower than my cold tap ??

305ppm is out of my Tap (irrelevent really)

250ppm is out of my boiler feed pipe which is where ive tee'd into to run my system

0ppm is coming out of my RO system, which does have a small DI unit on

1ppm is out of my 1000ltr IBC

Ive now moved the inline ppm meter to measure in before the Di Resin rather than before the pre filters, and its 2ppm going into the resin and 0ppm coming out of the resin and into the IBC
That’s great tap 305ppm then 2Ppm after RO sounds to good to be true I would have expected around 6ppm at 98% rejection. 

@spruce where are you lol.

if your tds is ppm300 generally the best you can expect going thru your RO membranes is 98% with a quality membrane and the correct psi/flow so taking 98% of ppm 300 will leave ppm006 os that is 98% rejection rate.

My tds tap tds320 approx my water pressure is approx 65/70psi and after RO my ppm008 

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce where are you lol.

if your tds is ppm300 generally the best you can expect going thru your RO membranes is 98% with a quality membrane and the correct psi/flow so taking 98% of ppm 300 will leave ppm006 os that is 98% rejection rate.

My tds tap tds320 approx my water pressure is approx 65/70psi and after RO my ppm008 

You didn't need me?

@HWCS. It won't be long before your r/o is too small for you. TBH it probably is already.

The first upgrade is to replace the tiny di vessel with a bigger one. Whilst your r/o is working more efficiently than I thought it would, with high tap water input tds your resin you will be forever doing resin changes.

The second upgrade would to to add a couple of membrane housings with membranes to increase water production. A single operator can manage ok with a 300gpd r/o although I would go the full way and replace the membranes with 150gpd units.

If the single membrane housing has a 150gpd membrane already then you only have to add 2.

I have the same inline tds meter as you have and have found it to be pretty accurate. My IN sensor is after r/o and before di and the out is after di.  

Confused.

Sunday i started producing my own water.

In was 250ppm

Out or system was 0ppm

Out of tank was 1ppm

Now obviously i know that the tank will take time to be totally clean and there will obv be a little increase. But Today ive just took a reading from water straight from the tank and its increased to 11ppm while from my system the reading out is still 0ppm

Been running system for cpl hours at a time then off for 30mins for pump to cool, and currently produced 200ltrs

Update from 36hrs later:

Had the system running for roughly 24hrs total time now and have about 375ltrs in the tank.

Following readings.

In 3 (after RO before DI)

Out 0/1 (after DI)

Out 6/7 (from tank)

Still a really really faint smell of Kerosene from the tank but not from the water when i take it from the tank, water does not feel greasy, but still a bit hesitant to run it through my backpack is there any other way i can test the water on my own windows without using the backpack?

@spruce your 100% bang on the money, this is in no way shape or form quick enough, £70 very unwisely spent.

Close thread lol

Just stumped up for a brand new RO system, pump DI vessel and resin.

450gpd

I have noticed in your pictures how you have connected your ro to the mains. The silver bit that you have joined to the water pipe works by piercing a hole in the pipe to supply water, this hole is small and could be restricting your water pressure to the ro causing slower production. I also notice you have a outside tap near your tank you could find this tap has a higher water pressure and be  better off using that  

I have noticed in your pictures how you have connected your ro to the mains. The silver bit that you have joined to the water pipe works by piercing a hole in the pipe to supply water, this hole is small and could be restricting your water pressure to the ro causing slower production. I also notice you have a outside tap near your tank you could find this tap has a higher water pressure and be  better off using that  
Cheers mate, the actual problem is i bought a system thats suited to a tropical fish tank and nothing else.

Just spent £555 today on a 450gdp ro system, 11lt DI vessel and bag of resin and booster pump.

Cheers mate, the actual problem is i bought a system thats suited to a tropical fish tank and nothing else.

Just spent £555 today on a 450gdp ro system, 11lt DI vessel and bag of resin and booster pump.
Good luck with the new system. ?

As for the tank ; would it be worth cleaning a window at home using trad then throwing on a jug full from the tank and seeing if it dries ok?

If you’ve splashed out on new RO system, I would bite the bullet and get a new holding tank, free from what’s been inside that one. 
Hope your problems are soon solved. 
good people on here to advise though, I have had some great help personally. 

Back