Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking about setting up

Sambo12

Hi guys looking to start out on the weekends, currently run a decorating business. Fed up with it! 

I am thinking of getting a backpack and buying water from a site locally, just wondering what you guys would recommend pole wise?

Plan to canvas new builds - just wondering what people would say is there most profitable work.

i plan to accept  direct debit and go cardless for ease. 

I have read quite a few posts about starting out and have picked up some invaluable information, just wondering if you were starting out again what you would different. 

Also I was wondering if anyone is in the Warwickshire area would they consider having some free labour to show me the ropes etc I understand it’s a big ask! 

Thanks

Hi guys looking to start out on the weekends, currently run a decorating business. Fed up with it! 

I am thinking of getting a backpack and buying water from a site locally, just wondering what you guys would recommend pole wise?

Plan to canvas new builds - just wondering what people would say is there most profitable work.

I have read quite a few posts about starting out and have picked up some invaluable information, just wondering if you were starting out again what you would different. 

Also I was wondering if anyone is in the Warwickshire area would they consider having some free labour to show me the ropes etc I understand it’s a big ask! 

Thanks

Have a look on Gardiner pole systems web site , any of there poles are good  as a starter pole the clx is goid the slx is a bit stiffer and lighter but take a look any question s they are very helpful 

I would get work at the prices I am now at from the start  or you'll forever be changing up to do it later anyway. 

To do the above ^ I would learn about advertising from the start. Fb. Insta. Website. Flier psychology. Etc

To do the above ^ I would get real friendly with someone in the know/same biz early on, a mentor if you like. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

clx or slx 22 pole budget depending

compact, well priced work is ideal

i would do a lot of things different, too long to list really

its not free labour, its a free hinderance. I would offer to pay someone to train you as you will slow them down.

I would get work at the prices I am now at from the start  or you'll forever be changing up to do it later anyway. 

To do the above ^ I would learn about advertising from the start. Fb. Insta. Website. Flier psychology. Etc

To do the above ^ I would get real friendly with someone in the know/same biz early on, a mentor if you like. 

yes advertising/marketting is king. If i knew what i knew now i would have grown twice as fast.

I got a CLX-22 a month ago and tbh regrettimg it already, as its shorter than i could do with.

Id say go for the CLX-27 minimum

I got a CLX-22 a month ago and tbh regrettimg it already, as its shorter than i could do with.

I think the CLX27 is a very good pole to start with for the following reasons. It's cheap, hard wearing, will reach virtually all house windows, it's a reasonable weight so will help build muscle without killing you when you're starting off, it's flexible so will teach you how to do the awkward windows. Then when you're doing 50+ houses a week upgrade your pole, personally wouldn't go down the SLX route though.

I think the CLX27 is a very good pole to start with for the following reasons. It's cheap, hard wearing, will reach virtually all house windows, it's a reasonable weight so will help build muscle without killing you when you're starting off, it's flexible so will teach you how to do the awkward windows. Then when you're doing 50+ houses a week upgrade your pole, personally wouldn't go down the SLX route though.
I was going to get an slx22 or 25 for my first pole next year. Why wouldn’t u go down the slx route? Just curious as it seems highly recommended.

Got to be honest i wouldn't go for another CLX27 and the CLX22 is just too short for many jobs involving a 2nd floor. Although i do love mine as it's my first pole I find it heavy, too flexible (a pain at full reach to the 2nd floor - it moves around too much thus taking more time to get the brush where you need it which puts more strain on you). I tried another windys SLX a while back and it was amazing in comparison. I really do mean amazing.

CLX is certainly a good enough pole for 1st floor windows but I'd only keep a longer one as a backup now. I'm planning to get the SLX when money permits and then I'll downgrade my CLX27 to a shorter pole using a different base section. Also the CLX-4 is a good option for side windows in alleys etc and is also on my to-get list at some point.

Got to be honest i wouldn't go for another CLX27 and the CLX22 is just too short for many jobs involving a 2nd floor. Although i do love mine as it's my first pole I find it heavy, too flexible (a pain at full reach to the 2nd floor - it moves around too much thus taking more time to get the brush where you need it which puts more strain on you). I tried another windys SLX a while back and it was amazing in comparison. I really do mean amazing.

CLX is certainly a good enough pole for 1st floor windows but I'd only keep a longer one as a backup now. I'm planning to get the SLX when money permits and then I'll downgrade my CLX27 to a shorter pole using a different base section. Also the CLX-4 is a good option for side windows in alleys etc and is also on my to-get list at some point.
Black friday purchase ?

I was going to get an slx22 or 25 for my first pole next year. Why wouldn’t u go down the slx route? Just curious as it seems highly recommended.

22 will be too short for a good number of houses with a 2nd floor. 25 might do it but you get one with an extension in the way and you've had it. I did a house today with this - a window that is above an extension and it's up on the 2nd floor. Using my CLX27 I can literally just about reach the top of it with my hands almost at the base of the pole - yes a struggle. It's a nightmare job, I loathe it with a passion but the owner is a sweetheart, never gives me any trouble and had her last windy for 22 years. I'd be a mug to drop her because my pole is too cheap!

25ft is ideal for domestic work , only windows I struggle on are old style houses with dormers  new builds with thrm arnt a problem ,

also another thing to consider make sure you have enough pole to stand correctly using it you don’t wanna be on ya tip toes with arm in the air looking up. You’ll end up with bad neck 

Last edited by a moderator:
22 will be too short for a good number of houses with a 2nd floor. 25 might do it but you get one with an extension in the way and you've had it. I did a house today with this - a window that is above an extension and it's up on the 2nd floor. Using my CLX27 I can literally just about reach the top of it with my hands almost at the base of the pole - yes a struggle. It's a nightmare job, I loathe it with a passion but the owner is a sweetheart, never gives me any trouble and had her last windy for 22 years. I'd be a mug to drop her because my pole is too cheap!
Yea I see what you’re saying, I’ve never counted how many customers I have but it’s got to be around 500 & I can only think of 3 that have a 2nd floor window off the top of my head, I don’t clean them now off the ladder, I have my limits. When I change over I’ll only be getting one pole because of the initial outlay for everything to start wfp’ing & didn’t really want to get a longer heavier pole for 3 windows. I know it’ll limit myself with certain future possible jobs tho.

.......... and putting a light extreme brush on the end might reduce some of the flex.

I don't think it's worth the extra money compared to the CLX. Yes it's lighter, slightly, and more rigid but, in my experience, wears much quicker and gives you the dreaded black finger. 

.......... and putting a light extreme brush on the end might reduce some of the flex.
My 45cm flocked brush doesn't help 

I don't think it's worth the extra money compared to the CLX. Yes it's lighter, slightly, and more rigid but, in my experience, wears much quicker and gives you the dreaded black finger. 

You’ll have to forgive my ignorance but “the dreaded black finger”?? 

Put some of your money aside and save up for the Extreme. You will thank me for it in later life! ?

I was dubious before I bought one (about 4 years ago) but the lighter weight of it allows you to get to windows on the angle very easily. Hardly any strain on your wrists.

That's the first piece of advice I'd give to anybody starting out - buy the Extreme ?

Ahh yes! The Black Finger Gang. I've been a member for over five years. ?

So you’re a Slx rather than the Clx? Genuinely interested for when I get my first pole.
Yeah, I think the SLX is the perfect pole for me. I get at least three years of Stirling work from them. I can't give an opinion on the CLX as I've no experience of them.

it's not easy to know which kit to choose. ?

Yeah, I think the SLX is the perfect pole for me. I get at least three years of Stirling work from them. I can't give an opinion on the CLX as I've no experience of them.

it's not easy to know which kit to choose. ?
I’m finding this out, what van? What system? DIY? What ibc pre made system? Diy? What pole? Electric reel? Makes my head spin ?? . I’m nearly there in my head tho (I think). Btw they weren’t questions for u they’re the questions swirling round my nut lol

Latest Posts

Back