Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Down pipe adaption

DeLaCruz

I took on a job today for a gutter clean - essentially the down pipe runs down into a decking style flooring - the actual drain is located beneath the decking (brilliant new build design 101 ?).

Question is what’s the best way to add a join into the vertical down pipe section ? I saw something called a flow plast that thought could work if I added it 5ft from the decking allowing customer easier access in future - he said he’d pay for the install and I can’t see it being that hard to hack saw through the down pipe and add it in - this should allow me to release the down pipe, clean out the blockage in the lower section / the drain using the vac - any advice welcome thanks in advance (video included )

View attachment 18503

2 options mate

Option 1 flowpast with a cap may be awkward withvac as they are tight inside

Option 2 use 2 joiners and make a section of downpipe removable 12" so you can remove it the easier vacuum access.

Personally id go option 2 everytime

Screenshot_20191127-221306_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-221351_Samsung Internet.jpg

We fit theses takes about 10-15 muinits very easy and works well . There are several different types available , you can get them locally I just used this stick picture to show what we use , hope you arnt wearing that vac out ???

251D249A-0F6A-463D-B3B5-5E6CE4107AC5.png

Option 2 use 2 joiners and make a section of downpipe removable 12" so you can remove it the easier vacuum access.

Question on this option - since the downpipe sits off the wall about 30cm (see video i posted in OP), If i cut out a section and add the two joiners will it still be okay without bracketting the pipe to the wall ? will this make the downpipe weaker without using brackets ? Would you add the section close to the decking towards the bottom of the down pipe ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question on this option - since the downpipe sits off the wall about 30cm (see video i posted in OP), If i cut out a section and add the two joiners will it still be okay without bracketting the pipe to the wall ? will this make the downpipe weaker without using brackets ? Would you add the section close to the decking towards the bottom of the down pipe ?

A couple of extra brackets will stiffen it up a bit but might be ok without them 

I agree with @Pjj shouldnt be needed but wouldnt hurt to have them.

I personally wouldnt do it to low down but i dont think it really matters where it goes

@Pjj would the fitting you suggested (freeflow round plastic access) be okay without any fixings ? or does that one always need to be screwed in ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pjj would the fitting you suggested (freeflow round plastic access) be okay without any fixings ? or does that one always need to be screwed in ?

You can just cut out a section of the down pipe and put it in , we generally fit it around 12 inches out of the ground , depending where the downpipes are fixed to the wall or into the soak away sometimes they will need a couple of brackets one above one below the fitting , quick , easy and cheap to install .   

Back