Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer relationship

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Actrad

Just wondering does the majority think that by accepting cash only and interacting with customers on a monthly basis through on day payments and collecting build a better customer relationship than it would if you never seen them due to online payments. This being he only reason that stops me going go cardless. I think it does and it makes my round more secure due to interaction with customers on a regular basis

I work by myself, which can be quite lonesome at times, and I do like the interaction with customers. Breaks your day up a bit.

Still that being said. I would love it if all my customer paid goCardless. My job would be a lot easier.

So far I have signed up 10, two payments bounced and one cancelled the mandate. So maybe not. Time will tell. 

I also wonder what we will be paying in charged 10 or 20 years down the line. But for me this will be worked into my prices.

Just wondering does the majority think that by accepting cash only and interacting with customers on a monthly basis through on day payments and collecting build a better customer relationship than it would if you never seen them due to online payments. This being he only reason that stops me going go cardless. I think it does and it makes my round more secure due to interaction with customers on a regular basis
I remember years ago, I had apprehension about losing that interaction after 15 years of cash collections and a lot of interaction with people getting to know the families and kids as they grew up, I also miss the snowball fights etc with the kids, but ultimately I had to make the switch

I wanted to get home and be with my wife spend my evenings at home doing what I wanted to do like most normal working people, the clients that I do see from time to time that are on GC I get on well with and make a point off chatting and getting to know them and let them know something about me, they recommend me through fb residents pages etc, some of their kids come racing out to talk to me and watch me, so on the whole nothing has really changed and over the years my business is better than it has ever being. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say I’ve never met 75% of my customers. Or even spoke to half again. Unfortunately it’s a side effect of the digital world we live in. The majority of my new customers contact me via mobile (text, email, Facebook) I quote by pictures they send me and they pay online. I’d much rather everyone was out at work or such like as I often get behind when an old dear fancies a chat. 

95% of my round is cash with about 2 dozen on GoCardless currently. I've said it on here before if I could, I would very happily spend my day at work not speaking to a single customer and just crack on, do my job and go home knowing I'm gonna get paid online. I have tried to get more people on GoCardless but some just flat out refuse so I know I would lose quite a number of customers if I forced it. If I know people work funny shifts and I can never catch them in or they're 'sorry got no cash on me' custys then I do force them onto GoCardless or I drop them.

While I agree with your statement about building a relationship with your customers, I'm also a believer of 'out of sight out of mind'. I reckon if you go with GoCardless etc, the customer may at some point kind of 'forget' they get their windows cleaned and maybe only realise when they see your slip or look at their bank statements and I think you'll get less cancellations this way as it's just less hassle for them. Could be wrong that's just my thinking.

I'm pretty sure I've got a few that I've never met, it's not necessary, they email for a quote which I email back, they accept and we clean, good chance they will pay by bank transfer which suits me. Only downside is probably no Christmas tip.

I've never heard of this GoCardless voodoo that some of you talk about and I've never done collecting, that's so 20th Century! ?

I find myself hoping that most customers aren't at home when I clean because its such a close community that I can't get with the work if they're in! That said, its nice to say hi to people and have a good relationship. There's a lot to be said for knowing your customers and for them to know you. Relationships DO matter. I use a range of payment options, which ever suits the customer best. I have to pass on the cost of banking cheques though and I'm up-front about it if a customer doesn't use electronic or cash payments. Oddly, some would rather pay £2.50 extra for paying by cheque than pay by BACS. And it doesn't seem to be an age-related thing either! 

Pick 1 .... choose to keep collecting cash from customers and dont have personal time for yourself  or choose to take payment online and instead of making time for the customer.. make more time for yourself ?

Percentage wise I'd say it's a 50/50 split between customers I've meet (either for cash or by chance) and those I wouldn't know from Adam, seems to be certain "types" in certain locations.

for example many of the customers in new builds (younger owners/renters) I wouldn't know them if they were standing in front of me in a que as they only pay online or standing order. 

Older "types" in more established and affluent areas do a combo of cash and online but I have meet them and have more a rapor, this has led to more work either on there property (fascias, gutters etc) or recommendations to friends and family. With one such customer I started with one brother and I now do the whole family, which consists of his brother, grandparents and kids so it's a real family affair.

not sure if you guys do Christmas cards but I've put out all mine past two days, handwritten to build the bridges that support further expansion (and tips ?)

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont think it makes any difference, I have customers that I have done for over 20 years and never met them , the only advantage in seeing them is if you are trying to sell them another service , I just put a not through the door along the lines of , I couldn’t help notice that your gutters facias and soffits are  quite dirty if you would like us to clean them for you it would be £xxx , kind regards. , quite often they will phone , txt or email ask a few question and say yes please . 

I’d say I’ve never met 75% of my customers. Or even spoke to half again. Unfortunately it’s a side effect of the digital world we live in. The majority of my new customers contact me via mobile (text, email, Facebook) I quote by pictures they send me and they pay online. I’d much rather everyone was out at work or such like as I often get behind when an old dear fancies a chat. 
I can lose 45 minutes some day's chatting to 2-3 people who are usually in there 70's 

Bit of both for me, cash, a chat and a cup of tea pass the day. I still get the odd cheque but lots of Bacs. 

I'm still not sure about Gocardless as I feel they can have an unhealthy hold over your business. 

Having customer interaction helps me sell them add ons, fsg's etc

What I've noticed with some Gocardless and bank transfer cleaners is that they are happy that there is no cash collecting element and then spend hours knocking on doors and trying to drum up work to fill their books maybe not realising they have a ready pool of customers you can make money out of.

Just a thought.

A chat is not a waste of time it's your marketing opportunity, like an advert break !

You talk about another job you were doing the other day e.g Gutter clearing, fascia cleaning, or pressure washing, it makes sure the customer knows what else you do !

They might take you on for another job or tell a friend

so it's not a waste of time  !

Best of luck Hotsteam ?

A chat is not a waste of time it's your marketing opportunity, like an advert break !

You talk about another job you were doing the other day e.g Gutter clearing, fascia cleaning, or pressure washing, it makes sure the customer knows what else you do !

They might take you on for another job or tell a friend

so it's not a waste of time  !

Best of luck Hotsteam ?

It easy to chat if you are a chatty person to begin with. I am. It can be an issue if you are not that way inclined. I have a pretty good relationship with each of my customers. I must have because they put up with me being their window cleaner.

Every customer is different, some won't want to chat and some will. Having a brief chat, whilst still working is what I try and do with the "chatty" ones but tend not to like and keep talking after we've finished. As I usually give my customers an approx. ETA I use this to end the conversation with the more chatty customers.

I have a good relationship with my customers & I don’t mind a brief chat usually about the weather lol. But 1 or 2 would keep me there all day if I let them, I start edging away down the drive & they come off the doorstep & start following me. Nightmare as u don’t want to seem rude, but there’s work to be done

Agree somewhat, like the interaction with my customers...but like best doing property when no one is home as can work faster.

The majority of mine are go cardless, the cash ones are either always in or leave it in the garden, I don't go collecting.  I find that there are enough people on go cardless that are in that keep me chatting.  The ones that are never in is a welcome break.  

If you do a good job, always text the day before and don't let your customer down then I can't see there being a need to be chatting to build a relationship. 

A good tip for you when starting out.  When they're on GC, if your customer has forgot to unlock the gate you just clean the front and charge them full price, then send them a text and say your gate was locked so I'll come back and clean it when you unlock it.  I've found that the locked gates are a way of trying to wiggle out of the deal, but when you charge them the full price and just clean the fronts then they are very quick to apologise and you keep them rather than lose them.  If you did it differently and said 'sorry I couldn't clean today as your gate is locked' it gives them the option of just ignoring you till you go away, that doesn't happen if you have already started the job and taken the payment.  I don't have a problem of them wanting to cancel, but they have to tell me, not try and play games with me.  Although I've not had anybody cancel yet so I must be doing something right.

sole traders dont need to use gocardless....by the way their increasing their charges from next feb for those that dont know....most of mine are BACS payments,cash/card on the day and a few standing orders/cheques.....

customer relations are like a lot of other window cleaners,some will try and keep you there all day chatting,i just talk and work at the same time and then back off as their still talking on to my next job....?..i dont stand around chatting for longer than 5 mins these days,i want to crack on and get done,most customers will leave you alone anyway i find.....

i am sending xmas cards to all my jobs before xmas though(first time in 26 years!)thanking them for their custom over the year...?

Back