Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What would you guys do in my position ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Matt steel 118

Currently work in construction as a dryliner,  and clean windows part time but I've done something to my shoulder rotator cuff it's almost at the point where I can't work  , do I hold out for 18 days or get it rested up ? 

Rest and recover if you can afford it. You’ll only injure it further. I went to work immediately after the cast came off when I broke my hand As I needed the money and ended up having to take more time off when I broke my hand again as I had only given it 2 weeks instead of the 6 weeks advised when I went back to work initially.

It sounds like the decision could be made for you if it’s getting progressively worse. It’ll take longer to heal if you’ve worked it to the point of wrecking it. 

Also, get booked in to have someone look at it. 

Get to the doctors if you haven’t already lots of avenues could be explored. Iv in the past had a rotator cuff injury, it stoped me from training for a good while it was before I was a window cleaner but would have finished me. My non medical opinion is rest it but I was surprised how long it took to heal, I think I ended up having a cortisol injection.

hope it resolves soon!

Rest is best matt - but the rotor cuff is THE most complicated joint in the body and pain can be the result of a number of different causes - some of which can be eased with exercises...I would get to Doc's get a proper diagnosis - they should ask you to lift arm and move it etc you to asses and then see if they can recommend  best/any physio for it   e.g https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/OurServices/Traumaandorthopaedics/TraumaAndOrthopaedicsShoulders/Shoulder-patient-information/Rotatorcuffrepair/Rotator-cuff-repair-exercises.aspx

These might be more appropriate https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shoulder-pain/

In the meantime can you use the other hand when working - won't be as quick but you might be able to tick over...

I think you know the answer. Doctors, medicine, rest and recovery. But it depends on your situation. I know its not an easy decision. But in the long run you will be better off resting.

Currently work in construction as a dryliner,  and clean windows part time but I've done something to my shoulder rotator cuff it's almost at the point where I can't work  , do I hold out for 18 days or get it rested up ? 
7 years ago, on Christmas Day, I tore my rotator cuff, and waited 9 months for the op. Under no circumstances would I risk making it any worse.

Rest it, I did mine in over a year ago, commercial fruit tree pruning six months of the year. Carried on working on it, to the point where i was waking up every night in pain and having to physically pull my fingers open from trigger finger on top. Currently having steriod injections and seeing a physio, almost taken six months to feel normal again, had to take a part time job in a supermarket because that is all I could manage...

Don't be like me!! See a doctor.

Get to the doctors if you haven’t already lots of avenues could be explored. Iv in the past had a rotator cuff injury, it stoped me from training for a good while it was before I was a window cleaner but would have finished me. My non medical opinion is rest it but I was surprised how long it took to heal, I think I ended up having a cortisol injection.

hope it resolves soon!
I've had a rotator cuff issue for years which isn't great. 

Had a couple cortisol jabs which hurt more.

Something to do with it crystalizing in the joint.

It was a tear over 50% depth and was touch and go whether it needed surgery.

As it was it took nearly 2 years to heal properly on it's own and I still have issues 10 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest is best matt - but the rotor cuff is THE most complicated joint in the body and pain can be the result of a number of different causes - some of which can be eased with exercises...I would get to Doc's get a proper diagnosis - they should ask you to lift arm and move it etc you to asses and then see if they can recommend  best/any physio for it   e.g https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/OurServices/Traumaandorthopaedics/TraumaAndOrthopaedicsShoulders/Shoulder-patient-information/Rotatorcuffrepair/Rotator-cuff-repair-exercises.aspx

These might be more appropriate https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shoulder-pain/

In the meantime can you use the other hand when working - won't be as quick but you might be able to tick over...
Trying but it's more the over head lifting but yeah valid point , and cheers for c the advise mate 

Yup rotator cuff issues in left shoulder for the past 3 years, sitting here with heat pack on shoulder as I type. Rest, Scan, Physio. Ideally I think I would need to give up work for a few months to let this properly heal, it's chronic at this stage but like I can get a coupe of months off ffs

Daniel

Taken mine over 6 months, been stacking shelves to cover the bills, physio signed me off yesterday. Need to rest it, cant you get someone to cover you for a couple of months and take your cut?

I had tennis elbow and sore back but best result is exercise and keep moving about. I just took painkillers and grinded it out and it came good after a few months. That's the first time I have heard of rotator cuff but I will goggle it to get the low down on it.

Best result I can see is to do exercises and take painkillers and grind it out by working again. Don't think rest is the answer but I would visit the doctor for a medical answer but the body should keep moving about unless a trapped nerve or broken bones. That's what i have always found out.fwiw

Make sure heat is best for it, sometimes the pain can be caused by inflammation. If this is the case for you the worst thing you can do is put heat on it.
True that. I pulled a ligament behind my knee last year and was unsure whether to put hot or cold on it.

I clean the windows of the physio of Bromley football club and he said exactly what you said @Part Timer ?‍?

Any pain needs a pinpoint diagnosis as the shoulder joint is very complex (it can 'almost' rotate 360 degrees) and theire are a number of possible pain points...depending on what's happened tear/inflammation/tenons/muscle etc AND to what, will inform the best way forward - rest for one yet exercise for another etc...

shoulder-anatomy.jpg
12118tn.jpg

Rotator cuff is actually 4 seperate muscles but also the long head biceps muscle runs underneath the front rotator cuff muscle and can get trapped when the muscle is inflamed and cause pain all the way down the bicep to the elbow which is what I suffer with also.

Most shoulder injuries are fixed with the correct excercises rather than surgery.

I have certain stretches I do regularly to ease mine.

Most shoulder injuries are fixed with the correct excercises rather than surgery.
I had keyhole surgery where they scraped the bone put some screw in and reattached the tendons. Took 3 months of very painful physio to get it so I have virtually all movement back. Without trying to tempt fate I get no pain whatsoever with it and the surgery was 6 years ago. So worst case scenario it is fixable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had keyhole surgery where they scraped the bone put some screw in and reattached the tendons. Took 3 months of very painful physio to get it so I have virtually all movement back. Without trying to tempt fate I get no pain whatsoever with it and the surgery was 6 years ago. So worst case scenario it is fixable. 

Mind and tell them if you go for an MRI scan that you have a screw in, unless its not metal.

7 years ago, on Christmas Day, I tore my rotator cuff, and waited 9 months for the op. Under no circumstances would I risk making it any worse.
I was thinking about you when this popped up, and told my wife how long you had to be off work, when I was having bother with my shoulder, it softened the blow when I told her I would be better of with an electric reel costing £100's ?

This thread has got me wondering if there are preventive/strengthening exercises we could/should be doing to ward of what appears to be an occupational hazard...

I guess their must be a finite number of job specific movement hazards that could be prevented if the 'industry' identified them with associated preventative/strengthening exercise or at least remedial exercise/treatments.

Back