Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Factory gutter roof clean with low access gutters

DeLaCruz

Job is a large metal car depot, gutter runs are slim and tucked under the lip of the guttering shell. I took these pics on a mewp i "borrowed" from the yard. I tried using my vac (high powered indutrial gutter vac) but bc it didn't have any purchase on the base of the growing plants it didn't grip enough to remove anything. Curious on how these places get cleaned usually - fwiw i think the best way to clean these would be to unscrew the guttering sections and flush them out. Anyone else seen done anything like this please i would be grateful to know your experience.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

I do one very similar, if the roof is fairly flat, ours is about 1' in 20', we get up and walk along scaffolding boards and do them on our hands and knees. Yours actually look a fair bit higher and less clearance so don't know if that will work. If you do use this method be very careful as the steel edges tend to be very sharp.

I agree with Part timer & HWCS ...

These roofs are a complete nightmare and factory units don't tend to keep on top of these things until they get 4ft trees sprouting from them, then it becomes an issue!

In my experience its a case of getting up there and pulling it out as best you can, loosen as much as you can and if possible get a hose turned on and flush / wash it through unblocking the down pipes from time to time.

all the best and stay safe.

The root will be that big that chances are you will need to cut it out bit by bit with scissors to get it out.

If you can get up there like PartTimer said using scaffolding boards, I would take up onto the roof a 30 meter length vac hose to suck out what you can.

DeLa - access on that looks tricky/dangerous go careful! You really need a cherry picker to do that safely - most of these roofs are unsuitable for walking on (often have signs saying as much) and even if they 'can' take your weight, you'll need fall arrest protection as you'll be right on the edge. Those shrubs will have rootballs several (3-4) feet long and will be filling those deep gutters - suspect you'll need a 'saw' (jabsaw''s are great for that) to break them up bit by bit.  Your gutter van won't really cut it and will be almost useless due shape and size of the box guttering means you wont be able to get your gulper into all the areas and you'll find the debris isn't loose but rather 'wedged' ...

If they don't want to pay for powered access I would likely pass up the job..not worth the risk to your health...fools rush in were angles dare to tread

Back