Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder climbs i don't think about

Exchef93

I was trawling back through previous posts, and someone posted some photos of their ladder asking if it was safe, and it made me laugh reading the responses.

Whilst out working today i was thinking about it and the ladder climbs i do on a day to day basis for the last 7 years...

Took a couple pictures for you, to see how much it would make you wfp guys twitch.

20200108_152421.jpg

20200108_153438.jpg

20200108_153201.jpg

Doesn't make me twitch at all, then again I wouldn't do it as I don't have to. I suppose if you think you're being clever, brave, whatever risking your life for a tenner an hour then that's up to you.
It's nothing to do with being clever or brave, it's just what im used to doing, and climbs like this don't bother me. 

I only started working this job as a 6 month interim job... that was 7 years ago. But the job pays my mortgage and im happy with my wages.

I agree, i have to do much worse than this regularly, but this one job just paralleled the previous post i was refering to.

I dont regularly take photo's of things like this, its just what i was thinking about whilst cleaning.

My point is that i dont think/feel these ladder positions are that bad, im always perfectly happy on it like this, but i spend all day on it as im the tops man

I was trawling back through previous posts, and someone posted some photos of their ladder asking if it was safe, and it made me laugh reading the responses.

Whilst out working today i was thinking about it and the ladder climbs i do on a day to day basis for the last 7 years...

Took a couple pictures for you, to see how much it would make you wfp guys twitch.

View attachment 18823

View attachment 18824

View attachment 18825

Lol brings back memories of 20 years ago did very similar things , I cringe now when I think of some jobs I used to do wouldn’t dream of doing it now 

More to the point, why do you need to mess about with awkward heavy triple ladders?
What would you recommend instead?

The different ranges of height i can get to works for me, if i ever need to split it and use 1 piece as an A ladder i cann if i need to tie 2 pieces together and lift them onto a balcony i can.

The weight doesn't come into it because i have it on my shoulder for 90% of the jobs so im just used to it

The different ranges of height i can get to works for me, if i ever need to split it and use 1 piece as an A ladder i cann if i need to tie 2 pieces together and lift them onto a balcony i can.

The weight doesn't come into it because i have it on my shoulder for 90% of the jobs so im just used to it
Have you ever tried Ramsey pointers ?? They are very good much better than a normal ladder and easier to use safely on uneven ground 

Have you ever tried Ramsey pointers ?? They are very good much better than a normal ladder and easier to use safely on uneven ground 
Can't say i have, just had a little google. might put the question to the boss next time i snap a run. These titan ladders only tend to last a couple of years before the bottom run gets worn out and snaps off.

Can't say i have, just had a little google. might put the question to the boss next time i snap a run. These titan ladders only tend to last a couple of years before the bottom run gets worn out and snaps off.

Well worth a look when I was trad I had them in 3 meter 4meter and 5 meter doubles very good ladder not affected in wind like your triples would be and easier to carry , I now carry a 3:5 double inside the van for the odd occasions we need a ladder . 

Van mounted WFP delivery system £1k

Pole £300

RO £650

Removing the risk of falling off a ladder... Priceless. 

There are some things in life that money can't buy (Like common sense) for everything else there's Mastercard ???
The company i work for has 2, 2 man vans running the wfp systems, and then me and my partner working trad from an estate car. 

Multiple reasons we are not wfp aswell, we are the sort of "clean up crew". all of our rounds are built mostly out of custys that refuse to have wfp. But as we as a company have been doing some of these custys 25+ years, there is also effort made to keep them with a service. Aswell as picking up loads that specifically want a trad cleaner.

Neither of us can fill a van from our own house's because we're both employees, and i  personally cant get a hose to the road. But the other 2 vans are filled off water rates instead of meter from the drivers houses

Last edited by a moderator:

And useful if doing terraces, going down the entries.

The company i work for has 2, 2 man vans running the wfp systems, and then me and my partner working trad from an estate car. 

Multiple reasons we are not wfp aswell, we are the sort of "clean up crew". all of our rounds are built mostly out of custys that refuse to have wfp. But as we as a company have been doing some of these custys 25+ years, there is also effort made to keep them with a service. Aswell as picking up loads that specifically want a trad cleaner.

Neither of us can fill a van from our own house's because we're both employees, and i  personally cant get a hose to the road. But the other 2 vans are filled off water rates instead of meter from the drivers houses
I wasn't knocking you directly mate. I am shocked to hear that someone is sending you out to clean trad when they are a WFP company. The H&S executives advice is that all tasks should be completed in 'The safest possible manner'. As the company is clearly aware of the WFP they should be using that for your safety.

With regards to fill ups there is spotless water and other such sites. A company with 3 vans could probably benefit from a central filling point, it shouldn't be down to an employee to fill up. As for the customers wanting trad, thats a cop out on your bosses behalf IMHO. It's easy to fall back on you when a customer says they want traditional instead of asking why. Offer to clean a window for them with the WFP and they usually come around, especially if they have had issues in the past.

I hope they ban all but essential ladder work. I mean that with absolutely no disrespect to the trad cleaners on the forum, I am thinking for their safety as much as anything else. We all go out to pay the bills, no one should end up coming home in a wheelchair, on crutches or worse.

I wasn't knocking you directly mate. I am shocked to hear that someone is sending you out to clean trad when they are a WFP company. The H&S executives advice is that all tasks should be completed in 'The safest possible manner'. As the company is clearly aware of the WFP they should be using that for your safety.

With regards to fill ups there is spotless water and other such sites. A company with 3 vans could probably benefit from a central filling point, it shouldn't be down to an employee to fill up. As for the customers wanting trad, thats a cop out on your bosses behalf IMHO. It's easy to fall back on you when a customer says they want traditional instead of asking why. Offer to clean a window for them with the WFP and they usually come around, especially if they have had issues in the past.

I hope they ban all but essential ladder work. I mean that with absolutely no disrespect to the trad cleaners on the forum, I am thinking for their safety as much as anything else. We all go out to pay the bills, no one should end up coming home in a wheelchair, on crutches or worse.
Shocked that some customers want Trad!!!!!!!!. In the real world it aint just all about WFP. And Trad guys use a risk assesment every time they put a ladder against a wall etc(they decide if it is safe to climb up it), just as a WFP guy should every time they drag their hose from their van put numerous cones and signs along the hose route to prevent members of the public from tripping (but do they...NO) one sign is not sufficient!

I agree, i have to do much worse than this regularly, but this one job just paralleled the previous post i was refering to.

I dont regularly take photo's of things like this, its just what i was thinking about whilst cleaning.

My point is that i dont think/feel these ladder positions are that bad, im always perfectly happy on it like this, but i spend all day on it as im the tops man
I guess the only time you will feel these ladder positions are bad is when you land with a bump. It’s ok taking risks to pay your mortgage but doing it to line your bosses pocket is something else. Hope someone reports you for breaching H and S before you fall off mate. Good luck. 

Shocked that some customers want Trad!!!!!!!!. In the real world it aint just all about WFP. And Trad guys use a risk assesment every time they put a ladder against a wall etc(they decide if it is safe to climb up it), just as a WFP guy should every time they drag their hose from their van put numerous cones and signs along the hose route to prevent members of the public from tripping (but do they...NO) one sign is not sufficient!
No mate the risks aren’t the same. Every trad cleaner I know has been injured at some point in their career. It’s not they weren’t safety conscience, it’s they are human and make mistakes. You move your ladders how many times a day? At some point your gonna place them wrong.  

And tripping over a hose is a lot less dangerous than falling from a ladder. Most folk wouldn’t even be injured asides from maybe some bruises and cuts (older folk and infirm being the exception). Any age can be badly hurt from a fall from a ladder. Add to that a lot of WFP cleaners I know personally use a trolly or backpack rather than van mount. I do agree you need to make sure your hose is safe, but the risks aren’t comparable (also the risk to the member of the public is so low as the chances of them walking along the street while you are working is low, while the risk to you is high as your always up the ladder). 

No mate the risks aren’t the same. Every trad cleaner I know has been injured at some point in their career. It’s not they weren’t safety conscience, it’s they are human and make mistakes. You move your ladders how many times a day? At some point your gonna place them wrong.  

And tripping over a hose is a lot less dangerous than falling from a ladder. Most folk wouldn’t even be injured asides from maybe some bruises and cuts (older folk and infirm being the exception). Any age can be badly hurt from a fall from a ladder. Add to that a lot of WFP cleaners I know personally use a trolly or backpack rather than van mount. I do agree you need to make sure your hose is safe, but the risks aren’t comparable (also the risk to the member of the public is so low as the chances of them walking along the street while you are working is low, while the risk to you is high as your always up the ladder). 
Trip hazard is a trip hazard...thing is WFP guys should negate the risks of injury to the public by using more signs cones etc especially if their hoses cross entrances/walkways/pavements...but that would make the job slower...but safety of the public must take priority!!!.Once the where there is blame, there is a claim guys start twigging on to this, the WFP industry will have to change.

Trip hazard is a trip hazard...thing is WFP guys should negate the risks of injury to the public by using more signs cones etc especially if their hoses cross entrances/walkways/pavements...but that would make the job slower...but safety of the public must take priority!!!.Once the where there is blame, there is a claim guys start twigging on to this, the WFP industry will have to change.
Personally I do use signs when crossing public areas, but the trip hazard doesn’t change the fact it’s still a lot safer than ladders. If it does become a issue, folk suing over it and getting easy payouts, then maybe we’ll need to move towards trolleys more than van mounts. Slower, unfortunately, but still a lot safer than going up and down ladders. 

Latest Posts

Back