Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
Bart90

Van - SWB or LWB?

Bart90

How many of you with SWB vans find the space an issue? 

I'm currently looking at vans and there seem to be SWB vans that would meet the payload requirements of a 500 - 650L tank but I'm just concerned about the space left over?  But equally if there's plenty of room for trad gear, poles, vacs etc then I don't want to narrow my options down to LWB only.

Be grateful for any advice.

Happy New Year!

Part Timer

Personally I would always buy the lawb version as you will at some point need that extra length

A.K WINDOWS

Depends on your round if mostly domestic stick to SWB , nice to have the room but parking can be a issue in streets 

Haychh

They both have the pros and cons to be honest i have a LWB and SWB  The only **** thing with LWB vans is the turning circle is absolutely ****... its like a bus but  where the turning circle on a SWB van is like a car, IF you got little driving experience then i suggest u go for the SWB, some people struggle to drive LWB vans , SWB is the one for u i reckon 😉

NoName

LWB all day long...you will always need more space...

Bart90

Appreciate the replies guys, thank you.  I've been focusing my search on LWB for the reasoning of more space is better and allows for growth.  The main reason for starting to think SWB has simply to broaden the search a bit and maybe save some money.  Vans are so expensive!

Edited by Bart90

Iron Giant

You may struggle to get a van SWB van with a suitable payload, a 500ltr tank would need a payload of 750kg as a minimum, a MWB van which is longer would be what you need otherwise you will have no space for a vac in a SWB van, I have the now old shape Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo with a 350ltr tank an a HD Reel and there isn't much space left at all for much else. 

dmw
17 hours ago, Bart90 said:

How many of you with SWB vans find the space an issue? 

I'm currently looking at vans and there seem to be SWB vans that would meet the payload requirements of a 500 - 650L tank but I'm just concerned about the space left over?  But equally if there's plenty of room for trad gear, poles, vacs etc then I don't want to narrow my options down to LWB only.

Be grateful for any advice.

Happy New Year!

I'm always going to be a one man band so a Peugeot Partner 850kg payload that holds a 500 litre tank with trad gear and all the usual paraphernalia is ideal for me.

Also the locations where you work can be decisive, I do a lot of tight residential streets where space is at a premium, son if 

I was running even a mwb van I'd struggle.

mike007

Get a lwb and you find you could get away with a swb, get a swb and you will find you would be better with a lwb....that,s life!!!

solarpanelcleaningltd
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

You may struggle to get a van SWB van with a suitable payload, a 500ltr tank would need a payload of 750kg as a minimum, a MWB van which is longer would be what you need otherwise you will have no space for a vac in a SWB van, I have the now old shape Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo with a 350ltr tank an a HD Reel and there isn't much space left at all for much else. 

my swb transit has a payload of 1200kg

we put a 650 litre tank in it fine. 
Oddly, the lwb tranny has a smaller payload than the mwb, I guess this is due to the extra foot of length, which must be deducted from gvw.

Cghwindowcleaning

i had a lwb vauxhall combo which suited me fine had a 400 litre tank and the poles fitted in no problem and was a great small van.

I now have a transit custom swb and I love it best van I have had.I only clean window so it has ample room but I do have a sky vac and that fits in no problem even with a fixed real.

maxbruffell
On 12/01/2020 at 10:36, solarpanelcleaningltd said:

my swb transit has a payload of 1200kg

we put a 650 litre tank in it fine. 
Oddly, the lwb tranny has a smaller payload than the mwb, I guess this is due to the extra foot of length, which must be deducted from gvw.

Which Transit is that?

solarpanelcleaningltd
2 hours ago, maxbruffell said:

Which Transit is that?

280 swb low roof

scottish cleaning service

Two things one always wishes they had bought bigger? A van and a pressure washer.

P4dstar
On 11/01/2020 at 17:04, Part Timer said:

you will at some point need that extra length

Thats what she said

Cleanco

It depends on what work you do.  If it’s big commercial type stuff then go lwb. If it’s mostly domestic driving down tight streets, always starting and stopping and needing to get into tight parking spots then go for a swb transit style van. A few lads here went for massive lwb vans, one a sprinter and the other a high top transit(the really big one) and now after 12 months they both have swb transits. They are perfect for a two man crew and also will have loads of space left for other equipment.