Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van - SWB or LWB?

Bart90

How many of you with SWB vans find the space an issue? 

I'm currently looking at vans and there seem to be SWB vans that would meet the payload requirements of a 500 - 650L tank but I'm just concerned about the space left over?  But equally if there's plenty of room for trad gear, poles, vacs etc then I don't want to narrow my options down to LWB only.

Be grateful for any advice.

Happy New Year!

Depends on your round if mostly domestic stick to SWB , nice to have the room but parking can be a issue in streets 

They both have the pros and cons to be honest i have a LWB and SWB  The only **** thing with LWB vans is the turning circle is absolutely ****... its like a bus but  where the turning circle on a SWB van is like a car, IF you got little driving experience then i suggest u go for the SWB, some people struggle to drive LWB vans , SWB is the one for u i reckon ?

Appreciate the replies guys, thank you.  I've been focusing my search on LWB for the reasoning of more space is better and allows for growth.  The main reason for starting to think SWB has simply to broaden the search a bit and maybe save some money.  Vans are so expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
You may struggle to get a van SWB van with a suitable payload, a 500ltr tank would need a payload of 750kg as a minimum, a MWB van which is longer would be what you need otherwise you will have no space for a vac in a SWB van, I have the now old shape Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo with a 350ltr tank an a HD Reel and there isn't much space left at all for much else. 

I'm currently looking at vans and there seem to be SWB vans that would meet the payload requirements of a 500 - 650L tank but I'm just concerned about the space left over?  But equally if there's plenty of room for trad gear, poles, vacs etc then I don't want to narrow my options down to LWB only.

Happy New Year!
I'm always going to be a one man band so a Peugeot Partner 850kg payload that holds a 500 litre tank with trad gear and all the usual paraphernalia is ideal for me.

Also the locations where you work can be decisive, I do a lot of tight residential streets where space is at a premium, son if 

I was running even a mwb van I'd struggle.

You may struggle to get a van SWB van with a suitable payload, a 500ltr tank would need a payload of 750kg as a minimum, a MWB van which is longer would be what you need otherwise you will have no space for a vac in a SWB van, I have the now old shape Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo with a 350ltr tank an a HD Reel and there isn't much space left at all for much else. 
my swb transit has a payload of 1200kg

we put a 650 litre tank in it fine. 
Oddly, the lwb tranny has a smaller payload than the mwb, I guess this is due to the extra foot of length, which must be deducted from gvw.

i had a lwb vauxhall combo which suited me fine had a 400 litre tank and the poles fitted in no problem and was a great small van.

I now have a transit custom swb and I love it best van I have had.I only clean window so it has ample room but I do have a sky vac and that fits in no problem even with a fixed real.

It depends on what work you do.  If it’s big commercial type stuff then go lwb. If it’s mostly domestic driving down tight streets, always starting and stopping and needing to get into tight parking spots then go for a swb transit style van. A few lads here went for massive lwb vans, one a sprinter and the other a high top transit(the really big one) and now after 12 months they both have swb transits. They are perfect for a two man crew and also will have loads of space left for other equipment. 

Happy New Year!
MWB Renault Master, med roof so you don’t keep banging your head,, just so happens I will be selling mine soon if you’re interested,,,?

Happy New Year!

I have a 17 plate Peugeot partner 1.6 blue and its shite. Have to add and remove kit overnight to cater for each and individual job. 

The newer shape van with the ridiculous glued on body add on isn't much better. 

LWB is definitely an advantage if you wanted to stow ladders inside the vehicle or use it for pressure washing jobs etc 

Thanks for all the replies.  I had a chance to look in an SWB vivaro this week and instantly knew it was too small for what I want. It will be MWB or LWB depending on which van I go for.

Happy New Year!
MWB Renault Master, med roof so you don’t keep banging your head,, just so happens I will be selling mine soon if you’re interested,,,? my mwb fits a 3 mtr ladder, system and poles leaving room for pressure washer/ gutter vac etc, take a look at them,

MWB Renault Master, med roof so you don’t keep banging your head,, just so happens I will be selling mine soon if you’re interested,,,? my mwb fits a 3 mtr ladder, system and poles leaving room for pressure washer/ gutter vac etc, take a look at them,
Sorry I didn't reply!  Not the one for me but thanks for the heads up ? 

Back