Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting a window cleaning business. HELP!

Nick1000

Hi all, looking for some advice please. Recently sold my graphic design business and have a reasonable amount of money to start a new venture. I intend in investing in a van and a water fed pole system although I have no previous experience of window cleaning. I have no round and intend on starting from scratch which I understand is not ideal however I am competant in social media management and am not scared of a 12 hour day and intend on doing a huge leaflet drop (10,000) in a targetted area to attract work. I have watched all the YouTube videos and researched all the companies that sell the pole van set up. I am leaning towards X-Line systems that offer what seems a decent system 350ltr with one hose. Any thoughts or advice please? Many thanks Nick 

Dont go for x line.

Window Cleaning warehouse seem good or DIY best way to go if u are that way inclined

I think there is nothing wrong with building your own round, in fact I think if you have the drive and time it’s a way better way to do it. You can build and price it the way you want that way. A lot of rounds that get sold seem to be underpriced so you won’t have to deal with that!

Do your research, set your price structure and decide on payment terms. Stick to it. Don't take on **** work just for work sake. 

Also, I would head out with a cleaner for 1 or 2 days to see if you actually like it. 

I tend to agree, I’m currently on a 350l system and regularly do a 12 property day on it with some left over but am planning on going bigger so I don’t have the worry at the last couple of houses and would like to expand my days quite a bit. 

Hi all, looking for some advice please. Recently sold my graphic design business and have a reasonable amount of money to start a new venture. I intend in investing in a van and a water fed pole system although I have no previous experience of window cleaning. I have no round and intend on starting from scratch which I understand is not ideal however I am competant in social media management and am not scared of a 12 hour day and intend on doing a huge leaflet drop (10,000) in a targetted area to attract work. I have watched all the YouTube videos and researched all the companies that sell the pole van set up. I am leaning towards X-Line systems that offer what seems a decent system 350ltr with one hose. Any thoughts or advice please? Many thanks Nick 
Fit the system in yourself so any problems u have u know what the problem is, where if u have a problem with an Xline system any problems u wont bne bale to fix it u will rely on them which is the last thing u want,

Also like u say u plan to drop 10,000 leaflets.... is that over the full year or in the month ? or week ? 

*Spanner in the works alert* I can can do 25-30 houses with 350ltrs of water and still have water left in the tank some days it's less due to the size of the properties, first thing anyone needs is customers no point parting with 7k plus on a van and system without customers, but as you are in Preston I agree with @Part Timer go to http://purefreedom.co.uk you also need to produce pure water 

*Spanner in the works alert* I can can do 25-30 houses with 350ltrs of water and still have water left in the tank some days it's less due to the size of the properties, first thing anyone needs is customers no point parting with 7k plus on a van and system without customers, but as you are in Preston I agree with @Part Timer go to http://purefreedom.co.uk you also need to produce pure water 
You are established and experienced using WFP . The OP isn't and will be washing walls and spending three or four times as long as you on a window.

You are established and experienced using WFP . The OP isn't and will be washing walls and spending three or four times as long as you on a window.

Dont go for x line.

Window Cleaning warehouse seem good or DIY best way to go if u are that way inclined
X Line reaaly does get mixed reviews doesn't it...

Personally think 350l is to small, never used xline but heard plenty of bad reports. If it's just a factory fitted delivery unit I'd be looking at a 500l Pure Freedom system.
Good advice, thanks. So 500l seems a better option for start up?

I tend to agree, I’m currently on a 350l system and regularly do a 12 property day on it with some left over but am planning on going bigger so I don’t have the worry at the last couple of houses and would like to expand my days quite a bit. 
Leanig towards 500l, thakyou

Fit the system in yourself so any problems u have u know what the problem is, where if u have a problem with an Xline system any problems u wont bne bale to fix it u will rely on them which is the last thing u want,

Also like u say u plan to drop 10,000 leaflets.... is that over the full year or in the month ? or week ? 
I'm not the best technically with these sort of things so wanted a unit ready to work. 10,000 takes me 8 days targetting car parks in retail parks. Hard graft and loads of grief but done those sort of numbers in old business and gets your name out I guess

I'm not the best technically with these sort of things so wanted a unit ready to work. 10,000 takes me 8 days targetting car parks in retail parks. Hard graft and loads of grief but done those sort of numbers in old business and gets your name out I guess
But say for example u buy the system and something goes wrong with it how are u going to sort it out if your not the best technically ? This is why I suggest u setup a DIY system its very easy honestly, and if u have any problems u can identify the problem, once u put the system in yourself u get to know everything, if u buy a system ready made u will not know what it what.

Also your planning on leafletting a car park putting the leaflets on the windscreens ? ? 

Agree you can build a round - i recently done that, fwiw in the first 2 months i only made 900£ total due to my poor technique and lack of customers. Be ready to have living costs set aside for these times.Most of the money i have made this year has been re invested in the business it simportant to find kit that suits you. Its only now after nearly a year i am hitting £1500+ every month and i expect that to rise once it stops bucking down with rain and is longer days.

But say for example u buy the system and something goes wrong with it how are u going to sort it out if your not the best technically ? This is why I suggest u setup a DIY system its very easy honestly, and if u have any problems u can identify the problem, once u put the system in yourself u get to know everything, if u buy a system ready made u will not know what it what.
What can really go wrong? In my experience a factory fitted system is air tight, wired up correctly etc etc If all this fails just ask @spruce and he'll sort it out ?

What can really go wrong? In my experience a factory fitted system is air tight, wired up correctly etc etc If all this fails just ask @spruce and he'll sort it out ?
lol but it helps when u fit the system yourself you know every littke part and groove in your system which helps a lot, if theres a problem u can identify the problem straight away i guess, and true @spruce lives within 10 miles from me lol

I built my van 6 months ago and I'm only down the road in Wigan, feel free to message me and I'd be happy to talk you through all the basics and show you my setup, here to help ?

Yes, I know good Sir Rich, but the op ain't got no jobs and it could take him some time to build his round up, obviously I don't work as hard as some 8.45 start and finished by 4pm but, I am lean, mean window cleaning machine ?

Yes, I know good Sir Rich, but the op ain't got no jobs and it could take him some time to build his round up, obviously I don't work as hard as some 8.45 start and finished by 4pm but, I am lean, mean window cleaning machine ?
I'm assuming he will get work and continue being a windy, I couldn't make 350l last a day, especially doing 30 houses. Do you go round catching the drips and putting them back in. Joking aside I doubt a 500l tank will cost that much more and it covers him for when he does get more work. We have an 800l tank in but don't brim it if we only need 500l's

I'm assuming he will get work and continue being a windy, I couldn't make 350l last a day, especially doing 30 houses. Do you go round catching the drips and putting them back in. Joking aside I doubt a 500l tank will cost that much more and it covers him for when he does get more work. We have an 800l tank in but don't brim it if we only need 500l's
Great advice. 500l tank it is, thanks 

Catch them in my mouth, then run back to the van and straight in the tank ?

Back