Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which cloths for which job

ShaunWills97

Hi guys, I am learning how to clean windows traditionally and want to start my own business. I am struggling on finding the best strategy with cloths.

Which cloths are best to wipe down all the PVC? Which cloths should I be using to create a dry line before squeegeeing my windows? How many of each cloth should I use each day? 

I use WCW sills cloths for frames.

Sill cloths

For the edges I use scrims. I have never used a full yard of scrim. I cut them into quarters them re-hem them. I probably use around 30 per day.

Drying your starting edge with a cloth works, but its tedious. If your cleaning over a hundred windows a day, its got to be quick. Just cut it in with squeegee.

Squeegee technique

Hi guys, I am learning how to clean windows traditionally and want to start my own business. I am struggling on finding the best strategy with cloths.

Which cloths are best to wipe down all the PVC? Which cloths should I be using to create a dry line before squeegeeing my windows? How many of each cloth should I use each day? 

You should have two types of microfiber cloths available, both alternate colours.

Use one type of microfiber for detailing soapy  squeegee work, and the other for damp water only wiping for lead windows..don't get them mixed up.

Scrim will be the best for drying, try to find scrim with as loose a weave as possible, so it will dry out faster. When drying, don't use excessive force as you will end up with hairy glass, a fast light buffing motion is best. I used to go through 20 scrims a day back before wfp.

We don’t do much trad these days but when I started I used scrimm when microfibres came out I swapped over to them far better easier on your fingers for detailing but don’t hold as much water as a scrimm .

Hello there.

I personally use the Unger pre washed scrims for all glass buffing snd quality microfibre cloths for wiping down sills and frame work 

I have 20 scrims and approximately 120 microfibre cloths 

I use around 5 scrims & 5 microfibres a day and try and dry as i go in my van 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there.

I personally use the Unger pre washed scrims for all glass buffing snd quality microfibre cloths for wiping down sills and frame work 

I have 20 scrims and approximately 120 microfibre cloths 

I use around 5 scrims & 5 microfibres a day and try and dry as i go in my van 
5 scrims a day when I was trad years ago 1 scrim all day wash it in clean water and ring it out,you should use a scrim damp.

i still use a damp scrim on shops that’s how I was taught 35 years ago.

I buy used bath towels from a laundry shop - 10 quid for a huge black bag full to the brim .   They are good enough for the job and for leaded windows  I use microfiber cloths  

never used scrim so can't say anything about it

Surprised no one on here has mentioned a leather Chamois.

Holds so much water

Look up Mr Siga cloths. Amazon /ebya.

Great range fluffy microfibre super absorbant for frames, great microfiber glass polish and detailing.

Tbh I've got far too many cloths from Unger, scrims, WCW, fishscale, pound shop, Wilko etc etc. washing line every fortnight is a real colourful jamboree lol.

take a punt and it may take a few goes to find your preferred ones. Some you realise leave fibres behind others get too wet, some not absorbant. I'm 95% wfp but always wipe sills after and detail occasional soffits over doors windows so have a belt with 2 pockets. One side wet the other dry. Go through about 10 cloths a day maybe more or less depends on trad work.

Back