Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
ShaunWills97

Which cloths for which job

ShaunWills97

Hi guys, I am learning how to clean windows traditionally and want to start my own business. I am struggling on finding the best strategy with cloths.

Which cloths are best to wipe down all the PVC? Which cloths should I be using to create a dry line before squeegeeing my windows? How many of each cloth should I use each day? 

CHWS

A microfibre for wiping wet stuff down only need 1

scrims are best imo for detailing. 2 max 

laddergarder

I use WCW sills cloths for frames.

Sill cloths

For the edges I use scrims. I have never used a full yard of scrim. I cut them into quarters them re-hem them. I probably use around 30 per day.

Drying your starting edge with a cloth works, but its tedious. If your cleaning over a hundred windows a day, its got to be quick. Just cut it in with squeegee.

Squeegee technique

cleaniac
19 hours ago, ShaunWills97 said:

Hi guys, I am learning how to clean windows traditionally and want to start my own business. I am struggling on finding the best strategy with cloths.

Which cloths are best to wipe down all the PVC? Which cloths should I be using to create a dry line before squeegeeing my windows? How many of each cloth should I use each day? 

You should have two types of microfiber cloths available, both alternate colours.

Use one type of microfiber for detailing soapy  squeegee work, and the other for damp water only wiping for lead windows..don't get them mixed up.

Scrim will be the best for drying, try to find scrim with as loose a weave as possible, so it will dry out faster. When drying, don't use excessive force as you will end up with hairy glass, a fast light buffing motion is best. I used to go through 20 scrims a day back before wfp.

Pjj

We don’t do much trad these days but when I started I used scrimm when microfibres came out I swapped over to them far better easier on your fingers for detailing but don’t hold as much water as a scrimm .