Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need to use neighbours roof for access to gutters?

Paul600

Got to quote for quite an unusual building, its an old commercial building that's been converted to flats and is in the old center of town and is surrounded by several other buildings.

In order to reach 60% of the gutters I would need to climb/stand on the neighbouring roofs. Not only is it awkward but do I need permission from the owners? Is that something the customer needs to sort out? Worried about what would happen if there is any damage as there is one aspect of the building that would need access via a traditional concrete tile pitched roof.

Would you just walk away from something awkward like this or what?

20200116_144620 (1).jpg

Got to quote for quite an unusual building, its an old commercial building that's been converted to flats and is in the old center of town and is surrounded by several other buildings.

In order to reach 60% of the gutters I would need to climb/stand on the neighbouring roofs. Not only is it awkward but do I need permission from the owners? Is that something the customer needs to sort out? Worried about what would happen if there is any damage as there is one aspect of the building that would need access via a traditional concrete tile pitched roof.

Would you just walk away from something awkward like this or what?

View attachment 18938
Lol I have just quoted for a job exactly the same , I would be very careful about getting in the roof if you have an accident or damage the roof you will be liable , I have priced into my quote it have it scaffolded time will tell if we get the job but that’s the only safe way to do it .

971729A9-9BA8-4F98-B673-A751D77B53E6.jpeg

99AFBA2E-056F-4F9F-B6BD-80563F696C9E.jpeg

BBA2D87B-3ABB-4F20-B968-599B745AC692.jpeg

A4BAD96A-05AE-4DBA-AE7C-0669B487A5AB.jpeg

Nope haven't got one of those and never used a cherry picker before. Roads not busy at all.

I usually only use gutter vac and can only normally reach 3 stories of a standard domestic property. This is 3 stories but where it is an old industrial building it is a couple of meters higher so I would have to buy another 2 poles for my system. Not the end of the world but would Def quote to reflect this.

The tiled roof pitch actually runs down towards the wall so the danger aspect is minimal, more about permission and damage.

Just out of interest, how involved is it to use a cherry picker, what is the license you speak of and roughly how much are they to hire? 

Latest Posts

Back