Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
John1980

Scratches and stiff brushes

John1980

Hi all,  

I have been in business for 3 years now and had no issues with scratched windows.  Not to long ago my first incident happened.  The only change I had made was to the brush head I was using.  It was a gardiners stiff universal brush.  Just out of interest has any one else had issues with the stiffer brushes? I have gone back to using the fliocked brush as bristles are softer, so hopefully more forgiving.  Just interested in others experience with the stuff bristled brushes. 

Cheers 

John

Pjj

We have used stiff brushes for several years and never had a problem 

Martyn

Most likely cause of a scratch would be a bit grit trapped in the bristles, very rare though.

THL4KEL

I use Gardiner Universal Stiff - never had any issues with it.

Part Timer

I would've thought that the brush with the most bristles is more likely to trap the particles and therefore more likely to scratch the glass. We use medium and flocked and never, as far as we know, scratched any glass.

John1980

Thanks for the replies guys.  Do you all use the same brush when cleaning velux windows to carry on cleaning rest of house?  

wezza13
2 minutes ago, John1980 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  Do you all use the same brush when cleaning velux windows to carry on cleaning rest of house?  

Yes, they're no different.

Part Timer
1 minute ago, John1980 said:

Yes, rarely change a brush. Might bring it down and clean it if I think it's very dirty

John1980

Thanks guys.  Very paranoid about this know.  Dreading getting calls from customers in the spring saying there are scratches on the window.  I change brushes regularly, clean them with a hose at end of day and soak in purses over night.  Not sure what else I can do.  Have a good all 

Cheers 

Sorry that should say 'soak in pure water'

wezza13
15 minutes ago, John1980 said:

Thanks guys.  Very paranoid about this know.  Dreading getting calls from customers in the spring saying there are scratches on the window.  I change brushes regularly, clean them with a hose at end of day and soak in purses over night.  Not sure what else I can do.  Have a good all 

Cheers 

The scratch may have always been there and the customer only just noticed it. 

Martyn
3 hours ago, John1980 said:

Cheers 

Honestly scratches are very, very rare, I can only think of one occasion it happened to me and I've been doing this for nearly twenty years.

John1980

Appreciate, the comments.  I find myself examining every window now and seeing scratches.  I suppose if you look at any oldish window there are going to be some scratches over time.  Fingers crossed it wont turn into a drama.  Have a good weekend all