Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

why would people not use hot water??????

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

I had a kink in my hose the other day and was struggling to locate it. Anyway this led me to doing 2 days on and off with cold water....all i could say was shoot me now. Where do i begin, firstly everything took twice as long to clean, secondly the hose was like bloody liquorice and an absolute bugger to reel back up, kinked and twisted up, thirdly my hands were ruddy cold...Why do some choose to use cold water? its the difference between night and day

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a kink in my hose the other day and was struggling to locate it. Anyway this led me to doing 2 days on and off with cold water....all i could say was shoot me now. Where do i begin, firstly everything took twice as long to clean, secondly the hose was like bloody liquorice and an absolute bugger to reel back up, kinked and twisted up, thirdly my hands were ruddy cold...Why do some choose to use cold water? its the difference between night and day
Cos I'm poor and cant afford the diesel.??

if you ve never used hot water for any length of time then you dont know what your missing......after my gas heater nearly caught fire in the back of my brand new 2 month old van i tried to convince myself that cold water was just the same for a few months.....its not!..... esp during the colder months.....i ended up splashing out on a grippa hydroheat 9 kw hot water system with frost stat over 2 years ago now...i use hot water all day every day all year round.....

I think the Webasto 9kw heater is around £1500. Seems a lot of money but must be some piece of kit being diesel. I love telling my customers that its hot water I'm cleaning their windows with because they always look surprised. I think I'm the only one around here using hot water and will be putting it on the side of my van. Picked up 3 and maybe 4 new customers today around £60 extra a month. Going to canvass the rest of the area when I go back to do a first clean. 

I've  got hot water, only use it on days where the temperature is 2° or lower and first cleans. Personally don't think the Webasto type heaters are value for money.
really?what about in summer when cleaning longer frequency jobs out in the sticks?,fascias/soffits/gutters,conny roofs,etc?

the real cleaning benefit is during the warmer months when my water is a lot hotter,in winter its supple hoses and a more comfortable working day....plus the frost stat on below freezing nights so i dont have to worry about my equipment freezing up.....

Not all could or want to spend what it would cost , more space needed in van , ones who have never used it have no idear if the benefits of it and see it as an unnecessary expense , I was cold wfp for 10 years been hot now for the last 5 years , all three vans now have hot systems well worth the money in my opinion , I would never go back to cold we use hot all year  round 

really?what about in summer when cleaning longer frequency jobs out in the sticks?,fascias/soffits/gutters,conny roofs,etc?

the real cleaning benefit is during the warmer months when my water is a lot hotter,in winter its supple hoses and a more comfortable working day....plus the frost stat on below freezing nights so i dont have to worry about my equipment freezing up.....
Yes, wouldn't have posted otherwise

Anyone have problems with grippatank hot water - boiler switching off?

Could be a controller issue i did have this several years ago Ian sheppard at spring sorted it out but it was a warrantee job it didn’t cost me anything hopefully he will see this and be able to help cannot remember his name on hear .

Diesel powered boilers is the way to go instant heat all day , but if I was on a very tight budget I would go down the immersion route it’s not going to give the temperature of diesel heaters but would give reasonable warm water for a cheap cost any heat is better than nothing cold water on a cold day is hard work evan if water temperature is 25 degrees it will help no end with supple hoses , rinse quicker and remove dirt easier ,

Diesel powered boilers is the way to go instant heat all day , but if I was on a very tight budget I would go down the immersion route it’s not going to give the temperature of diesel heaters but would give reasonable warm water for a cheap cost any heat is better than nothing cold water on a cold day is hard work evan if water temperature is 25 degrees it will help no end with supple hoses , rinse quicker and remove dirt easier ,
How do the diesel heaters work, I have lpg (let's not open the can of lpg worms, it works for me, its instant and very cheap, get over it) but did look at diesel heaters and could find one that could deliver instant heat on/off when needed... Am I missing something? Or do the diesel heaters work on the same principle as the emersion element in that it heats the tank? 

How do the diesel heaters work, I have lpg (let's not open the can of lpg worms, it works for me, its instant and very cheap, get over it) but did look at diesel heaters and could find one that could deliver instant heat on/off when needed... Am I missing something? Or do the diesel heaters work on the same principle as the emersion element in that it heats the tank? 
Heat exchanger, takes around 5 to 10 minutes to get everything warmed up.

The diesel heater needs needs to be running all the time with a return to tank when no water is being put on the window , if you stop the flow after a couple of muinits the heater will shut down this will cause sooting  up of the combustion screen they are designed to be run continuously not stop start , obviously they cost a lot more than an lpg l5 or similar but are a lot safer , primarily they heat the water that you are using on the window but the return to tank water will be hot so will heat the tank water as well , hope this makes sense .i find from starting my boiler up first thing in the morning by the time I have driven to my first job the water is hot in 5 muinits you cannot put your hand under it in summer when the wager temperature in the tank is naturally warmer it’s evan quicker .

Hot water is better end of.......but it's just another layer of hassle I just stick a rad in when it's cold , start later when I have too. It's only window cleaning.

Christ only knows how much insurance would be with a diesel heater over here, most insurance companies wouldn't even go near you... hard enough telling them you got a tank of water in the back. Love to have hot water though, i wouldn't use it all year round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d love to use hot water in the future but unfortunately, being part time I’m not sure I can justify the cost of a diesel heater and I park my van on a street well away from my home so couldn’t plug in an immersion heater ? one day maybe though!! That might be on the 2021 upgrade list!

I think the Webasto 9kw heater is around £1500. Seems a lot of money but must be some piece of kit being diesel. I love telling my customers that its hot water I'm cleaning their windows with because they always look surprised. I think I'm the only one around here using hot water and will be putting it on the side of my van. Picked up 3 and maybe 4 new customers today around £60 extra a month. Going to canvass the rest of the area when I go back to do a first clean. 
its not just the heater you need to buy,its all the other things,cabinet,frost stat controller,batteries, smart split charge relay and someone who knows what their doing to fit it and integrate it into your fuel tank in the van..it cost me £4.5k for mine....love it...

I’d love to use hot water in the future but unfortunately, being part time I’m not sure I can justify the cost of a diesel heater and I park my van on a street well away from my home so couldn’t plug in an immersion heater ? one day maybe though!! That might be on the 2021 upgrade list!
you need to be able to charge your batteries up every night as well as having a split charge relay fitted so it wont suit you...also if your going to be spending a lot on A DECENT PRO DIESEL SYSTEM its not worth it unless your fitting it into a new van that your planning on keeping it for 10+ years.....

Back