Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to prevent musculoskeletal disorders

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NoName

Came across this doc specifically designed for those working with WFP, thought it made a few really interesting recommendations to prevent shoulder injuries especially..

Keep elbows close to your side

Keep hands below your shoulder as much as possible

Use an underarm grip

Step forward step back when brushing up/down

Swap arms

Extend/Retract pole with the butt on the floor pointing vertically up

Worth a read for all...

What other tops tips / techniques do you find help ? 

View attachment HSE_Window_Cleaners_Best_Practice_Guide_FINAL.pdf

Watch the neck! try to keep the chin tucked in and the back of the neck straight, look up as much as possible with the eye balls.

Try to distribute the weight evenly across both feet, dont sit your weight down on the back foot, I find a fighting stance is good where you keep the weight on the balls of your feet. This should help keep your hips healthy and balanced.

Dont do your side to side rinsing motion with your knee joins, keep your core tensed and go from the balls of your feet instead.

BE MINDFUL OF YOUR BODY AND POSTURE WHILST CLEANING, CORRECT BREATHING TOO.

Watch the neck! try to keep the chin tucked in and the back of the neck straight, look up as much as possible with the eye balls.

Try to distribute the weight evenly across both feet, dont sit your weight down on the back foot, I find a fighting stance is good where you keep the weight on the balls of your feet. This should help keep your hips healthy and balanced.

Dont do your side to side rinsing motion with your knee joins, keep your core tensed and go from the balls of your feet instead.

BE MINDFUL OF YOUR BODY AND POSTURE WHILST CLEANING, CORRECT BREATHING TOO.

Lol sounds like a work out at the gym not cleaning a window ???

Since getting back into weights my overall posture is much better. Things like weighted hip thrusts, squats and dead lifts help your body loads and just make ya less injury prone. 

I wear a back support belt when I'm doing heavy lifting. The doctors are not a fan of them and would prefer you suffer. 5 of my customers have bought one after seeing me wearing it, maybe I'm starting a trend! ?

Chris that's half the problem knowing what exact exercises to do to strengthen/condition the muscle groups/stretch the right tendons/ligaments etc...Quite a few lads say 'do weights' which is something etc but in my experience with sports injuries etc  exercises from the physio are things you would never dream of doing in million years but when done are amazingly effective and no doubt their are exercises that might actually contribute to injuries ?  

The knowledge must exist out 'there' somewhere - would be great if perhaps some of the industry big boys who supply the kit we use (Gardiner/Ionics/Grippatank/fwc etc who make a lot money from the industry would sponsor a physio consultant to observe what we do and research typically injuries and come up with preventative exercises/work outs we could do.

I'm ploughing through what I've unearthed done by the HSE some good stuff https://www.hse.gov.uk/cleaning/backpain.htm 

Scottish...yeah I had a hospitalising back spasm years ago but it can still ache in the cold...I recommend a 'girdle' (sorry can't dress it up as anything else than it is) with 'braces' screwfix sell'em, looks like it would do nothing but when I feel ache - I pop it on and does the job..when on the job..I think it's efficacy is that it unconsciously makes me stand more 'upright' as to look at it looks like it's snake oil but can vouch for it's effectiveness

Chris that's half the problem knowing what exact exercises to do to strengthen/condition the muscle groups/stretch the right tendons/ligaments etc...Quite a few lads say 'do weights' which is something etc but in my experience with sports injuries etc  exercises from the physio are things you would never dream of doing in million years but when done are amazingly effective and no doubt their are exercises that might actually contribute to injuries ?  

The knowledge must exist out 'there' somewhere - would be great if perhaps some of the industry big boys who supply the kit we use (Gardiner/Ionics/Grippatank/fwc etc who make a lot money from the industry would sponsor a physio consultant to observe what we do and research typically injuries and come up with preventative exercises/work outs we could do.

I'm ploughing through what I've unearthed done by the HSE some good stuff https://www.hse.gov.uk/cleaning/backpain.htm 
Basically exercises that work the reverse of what we do daily. So I think wide grip lat bar pull downs, deadlifts etc. This gives balance. 

An important point from any physio work is that the injury you have is not usually where it started. For example lower back pain is often due to weak glutes or and hips. Neck pain is due to poor back strength and posture. Knee pain is often resulting from weak hips or hip abductors 

for me regular weight training over the last 4 years have built a very strong upper body.....along with this i use a 25ft  xtreme pole as my everyday pole and work no more than 5-6 hour days 4 or 5 days a week.....i get virtually zero aches and pains and ive been wfp 10 years now and im 48.....i also use an electric reel...

diet

regular exercise(resistant training)

stretching/light yoga

short days

space out add on jobs throughout the month( like f/s/g and conny roofs)

xtreme poles with xtreme brushes/carbon goosenecks

electric reel

put all these together and it makes a MASSIVE difference.i dont need to think how i stand or clean windows..i just do it without any pain or discomfort....

i did have back strain that took a few months to heal properly but that was caused by lifting too heavy on a deadlift in the gym not work related...ive now revised my training routine and no heavy deadlifts anymore,no need for them.....?

for me regular weight training over the last 4 years have built a very strong upper body.....along with this i use a 25ft  xtreme pole as my everyday pole and work no more than 5-6 hour days 4 or 5 days a week.....i get virtually zero aches and pains and ive been wfp 10 years now and im 48.....i also use an electric reel...

diet

regular exercise(resistant training)

stretching/light yoga

short days

space out add on jobs throughout the month( like f/s/g and conny roofs)

xtreme poles with xtreme brushes/carbon goosenecks

electric reel

put all these together and it makes a MASSIVE difference.i dont need to think how i stand or clean windows..i just do it without any pain or discomfort....

i did have back strain that took a few months to heal properly but that was caused by lifting too heavy on a deadlift in the gym not work related...ive now revised my training routine and no heavy deadlifts anymore,no need for them.....?
I've been using the hex bar for dead mate. Totally changing the move for less back twinges 

Sports massage every few months, works a treat to reset everything

In the summer, was chatting to a 'rival' windie over a neighbouring fence, as you do, he said the same thing..sport massage every few months, think he even said 'resets everything'...think might trial that technique - if you think about it, all sportspeople have post match 'treatments'  as routine...I don't any nagging issues but I can get a bit 'stiff', off to book spa weekend   :1f609:

In the summer, was chatting to a 'rival' windie over a neighbouring fence, as you do, he said the same thing..sport massage every few months, think he even said 'resets everything'...think might trial that technique - if you think about it, all sportspeople have post match 'treatments'  as routine...I don't any nagging issues but I can get a bit 'stiff', off to book spa weekend   :1f609:
i use a foam roller every week...does the same thing mate.....

Back