Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Neighbours right to complain?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chad Lewis

Hi everyone. 

So i just brought a transit custom and i'm waiting to get a WFP System installed.

My concern is the neighbours complaining about me filling up the tank each day.  We don't have our own drive so would need to run a hose along our path way, onto the public pathway for about 10 yards, then into my van which will be parked on the road in our street. If i put all the appropriate safety signage out, would anyone have a right to complain about the hose leading to the van?

Hopefully the neighbours will be sound, but as the street has next to no parking, i feel a bit of tension could build up and someone could complain.

Im also looking for a system that can fill a 500 tank as fast as possible to stop any inconvenience. 

(Attached Picture)

The RED is the neighbours property.

The GREEN is ours.

The BLUE will be the hose.

Thanks in advance ?

Chad.

drive.JPG

The best thing to get is this. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079PS8775/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_59djEbZ6V49H0

Also get this, 38mm by whatever length you will need. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202755389155

1, cut a 40mm hole in the lid of your storage tank/IBC (not whilst on the tank as you will get debris in the tank) 

2, remove the output pipe on the pump and tie wrap (do not use a jubilee clip unless it is pure stainless steel) the pipe onto the pump after feeding it through the lid/hole you made

3, drop into the tank and position it at the lowest point in the tank (on an IBC it is just behind the tap where it dips. 

As a foot note I used a piece of 2mm tubing through a small hole in the tank and attached it to the pump. I did this so that when I turn the pump off I can lift the pump out of the water external to counteract a syphoning effect. 

This will transfer 500ltrs in approximately 4 minutes, it's cheap, very effective and the neighbours will still be putting their slippers on to come and complain by the time your already taking the hose back in. 

This is under the assumption that you are creating your water at home and not through on board filters/ro/resin

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sure your neighbours will understand your predicament @Chad Lewis and it shouldn't be a massive inconvenience for them for such a small time window. Do you get on with them? Are they new to living next door to you?

it would be wise to do as @Part Timer has stated and offer a free clean to ease any potential tensions? A 40/40 or 40/21 system would be the quickest to fill up I'd imgine but it would take several hours even with a booster but by buying a high waterflow system you'd be cutting down the time best you possibly can. 

I used to have a similar situation at our old house. Had to run the hose past 2 neighbors gates along the shared drive before it reached the van parked on the side street. Nobody ever had any issues. Just make sure you have public liability insurance in case someone trips.

I'm sure your neighbours will understand your predicament @Chad Lewis and it shouldn't be a massive inconvenience for them for such a small time window. Do you get on with them? Are they new to living next door to you?

it would be wise to do as @Part Timer has stated and offer a free clean to ease any potential tensions? A 40/40 or 40/21 system would be the quickest to fill up I'd imgine but it would take several hours even with a booster but by buying a high waterflow system you'd be cutting down the time best you possibly can. 

With a decent booster pump it’s quick we produce a 1000 ltr of pure in two hours 

I have the same predicament but I go out after 7pm and take the hose back in around 10pm. I like this time because I feel like wee wullie winkie with no one walking about and are usually watching the soaps. Had my first encounter with a Mrs Angry today. I clean my website guy's windows but he is top flat of 3. I just parked my van and she was out nipping my heed that I wet the guy above and her windows when I cleaned his the last time. I said okay I will clean yours and the guy above for free and she was okay with it. Her and the guy above get theres done every month so they were not that dirty. If I didn't she was going to get the window cleaning police on to me so anything for an easy life. ?

i really appreciate everyone's reply's ? I think you guys are all right and i should just speak with them. Its just a tit for tat street and i can see problems arising. i dont mind doing their windows for free just to keep the peace.

Thanks again everyone, very helpful ?

i really appreciate everyone's reply's ? I think you guys are all right and i should just speak with them. Its just a tit for tat street and i can see problems arising. i dont mind doing their windows for free just to keep the peace.

Just be careful before you go approaching them.  What if they say they do have a problem with it?  If it was me I'd just get on with it and do it, try to do it in a way that creates as minimal fuss and inconvenience as possible, try and make the water first and then transfer it to make it a lot faster.

Discounted not free ? Bad enough having to do the Wife's windows for nowt never mind the neighbours as well ?
I have to park up to my neighbours drive to fill my tank on a morning, I usually do this after he has gone to work, but he is totally fine and I have offered to clean his windows for free but he is happy to clean his own, we live in cottages/bungalows which are old farm buildings with shared access and courtyard 

I do clean one of my other neighbours windows for free about every 4 weeks, but he is a spot and will take parcels and sort out deliveries if were out at work as he is retired  

Just make sure they understand how vital it is long term before they agree. Less chances of changing mind later then. 

Move over to traditional and u wont have this problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'd be offering free or discounted cleans. Why should you? You're working hard, trying to make a living, Paying into the system rather than claiming benefits. We all get in someone's way sometimes, including, no doubt, your neighbours. I'd make sure you have proper insurance and I'd be putting warning cones in place. I'd be very wary of giving power over your livelihood to neighbours. Often it's the people who don't want to work, can be the most troublesome and "entitled". Perhaps explain the situation to your insurers and see what they say. 

Proceed with caution. ?

I would just do there windows for free. I do my neighbours for free as they always look after my Amazon deliveries when I'm not home.

I don't mate i'm rarely home in the day. The Mrs and the kids get a lot of parcels, good to have neighbours who look after them for us.

Why not just concrete your grass, an Park your van on there.?

Looking at the ops initial photo it would mean having to cross someone elses land to get onto it. Also the op might not own their property / land so wouldn't have the right to concrete over grass in that scenario even if they could agree access over their neighbours land.

Back