Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Curved Balustrade Technique

DeLaCruz

Looking for ways to speed a job up - Job is on a top floor holiday let flat - priced it at 20£ per every two weeks. Previous guy did it for £14 apparently and recently said he didn't want to continue. The clean is a trad clean of 16 balustrades and the windows that surround - the windows take me max 15 mins, but the balustrades take me 3 times that time to get a good finish on. Its a hard job to get clean finish on (there's always bits that i notice after i think i'm finished). All balustrade cleaning is difficult if your reaching add to that the fact they are curved so there are always soap trails that runoff. There must be a quicker and better way. Things i have considered to speed it up:

* Investing something that allows me to target the area's that need it on the 2 weekly cleans (like Unger Stingray kit)

* Somehow getting WFP up there (its really high though) 

Anyone else clean these type of balustrades and have some technique they use for a quicker clean ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for ways to speed a job up - Job is on a top floor holiday let flat - priced it at 20£ per every two weeks. Previous guy did it for £14 apparently and recently said he didn't want to continue. The clean is a trad clean of 16 balustrades and the windows that surround - the windows take me max 15 mins, but the balustrades take me 3 times that time to get a good finish on. Its a hard job to get clean finish on (there's always bits that i notice after i think i'm finished). All balustrade cleaning is difficult if your reaching add to that the fact they are curved so there are always soap trails that runoff. There must be a quicker and better way. Things i have considered to speed it up:

* Investing something that allows me to target the area's that need it on the 2 weekly cleans (like Unger Stingray kit)

Anyone else clean these type of balustrades and have some technique they use for a quicker clean ?

we wfp all balustrade if it’s problematic withruns we both do the same panel at the same time and both rinse at the same time this prevents contamination from one side to the other , or of on your own lean over clean the outside Paine  then clean the inside then rinse both one straight after the other 

If it's taking you that long, why aren't you charging £50-60?

£20 seems awfully cheap for the bother that you're having. The other guy may have just been doing it for a bit of pocket money, which may be why he walked away? 

Don't mean to be negative btw. If you're there cleaning for an hour, then I think you should charge for the hour ?

If it's taking you that long, why aren't you charging £50-60?

£20 seems awfully cheap for the bother that you're having. The other guy may have just been doing it for a bit of pocket money, which may be why he walked away? 

Don't mean to be negative btw. If you're there cleaning for an hour, then I think you should charge for the hour ?
yeah I agree with the ‘work for an hour charge for an hour’ - with this job I just spoke to client and increased the price today. FWIW I think if I get the correct technique I can do it much quicker. 

The client and I discussed the job as part of a group of holiday let’s I clean for her. It’s bi- weekly so a good amount of income across a number of properties. I want to keep her sweet as she also mentioned she wants some other big jobs doing. She agreed that it f the balustrades were in decent condition when I do a clean to just touch them up - tha why I was thinking about the skingray system for that side of things  

yeah I agree with the ‘work for an hour charge for an hour’ - with this job I just spoke to client and increased the price today. FWIW I think if I get the correct technique I can do it much quicker. 

The client and I discussed the job as part of a group of holiday let’s I clean for her. It’s bi- weekly so a good amount of income across a number of properties. I want to keep her sweet as she also mentioned she wants some other big jobs doing. She agreed that it f the balustrades were in decent condition when I do a clean to just touch them up - tha why I was thinking about the skingray system for that side of things  

Like you say, it's good to keep her sweet if she has more work for you, but do it for the right price. Less work for more money is the winner here ? 

Good luck.

I would use a microfibre "mop" on a 3M doodlebug (which attachs to my trad poles for this.  Some spray cleaner and I can get a good result in a reasonable time.

We have been closed down for 9 (?)  days now, only aĺlowed to go out for essential stuff.  Caught up on all the paperwork and planning for restating the business once we are allowed to. Am expecting to have lost a percentage of business due to financial problems after customers have lost their job. Will have to wait and see.

Back