Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alternative when rained off...

DJV

Hi there,

I've been window cleaning for the just over a year now and while it's going well I'm looking for a different option for when I'm rained off. 

Are there any suggestions or jobs you do yourselves when in this same position? 

Thanks! 

Unless it’s torrential rain and high winds we work through normal rain , never had a problem with that sometimes you need to educate customers by telling them that when quoting taking on new work it’s rare that we have to pack up and go home , in twenty + years I haven’t lost more than two/three weeks in total . 

Same as @Pjj, high winds like last week lose me more time than rain, usually very heavy rain occurs when it's also very windy. One option is to target fascia, gutter and conservatory work and keep it for wet days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur, working in the rain is standard as results with WFP are the same. Explain the science and offer a call back rain guarantee. If a customer doesn't want you when it's raining then they dont deserve you when the sun shines 

I agree.. just don't get rained off lol.

I've lost about 2 days in the past 12 months to weather. 

I still not tough enough n wont clean windows if theres a chance of a shower still feel guilty n so many say "Its going to rain" i do try n day to new customers im busy,so will be working in the rain but i dont

I still not tough enough n wont clean windows if theres a chance of a shower still feel guilty n so many say "Its going to rain" i do try n day to new customers im busy,so will be working in the rain but i dont

You must be on a 3 day week up here. It rained all of last week but with wfp it doesn't really matter because we leave the windows wet.

you need to change your attitude when you get busier or you ll be losing out on a lot of money over the course of a year......trust me just crack on,just make sure you buy some decent waterproofs(have a min of 2 waterproof jackets)...customers get used to you turning up come rain or shine after a few years,you might still get the odd "not today"..just miss them out til next time....its better to have cleaned 95% of your work that day than taking the whole day off and earning a big fat zero.....

Just keep working in the rain, after a while your customers become conditioned and get used to it.

Fascia, soffits, gutters, solar panels, conservatory roofs, internals (don’t do many so save them for when it’s chucking it down), grotty first cleans. I find new customers are converted even more if you clean them the first time in the rain!!

We had a customer today ask us to leave her windows as it’s going to rain later in the week , I said to her the sun is shining it’s like a summers day and reminded her of our agreement that we work in all weathers with in reason , it’s sunny so they should be done , she said you can start doing them again in the spring , I just laughed and walked away , she said to my guy  that I was very unreasonable and must be a tyrant to work for , he said no not at all the boss is very reasonable and you know that we work in all weathers she said I only want them doing in the summer months he then explained to her we don’t do that type of work so probebly best to try and find someone else , she said I will give you a ring in the spring and you can start again then , some people just don’t get it !!!!!!! , I hope she doesn’t phone in the spring beacause the answer will be a big no way . Funny thing is we have been doing this job for over two years never had a problem before .

Put on a box set and scoff hoola hoops ??‍?
Not Topics ?

You can't be full, or you're making to much money ?

You must be on a 3 day week up here. It rained all of last week but with wfp it doesn't really matter because we leave the windows wet.
Yep only worked tbree days last wk, my wife worked two of them so got through more:) 

Not Topics ?

You can't be full, or you're making to much money ?
Not full, just busy on dry days. Still trying to work out what to do on rainy days.    

Fascia, soffits, gutters, solar panels, conservatory roofs, internals (don’t do many so save them for when it’s chucking it down), grotty first cleans. I find new customers are converted even more if you clean them the first time in the rain!!
 yep nothing like a first clean on a rainy day to save you fron a zilcho day

We had a customer today ask us to leave her windows as it’s going to rain later in the week , I said to her the sun is shining it’s like a summers day and reminded her of our agreement that we work in all weathers with in reason , it’s sunny so they should be done , she said you can start doing them again in the spring , I just laughed and walked away , she said to my guy  that I was very unreasonable and must be a tyrant to work for , he said no not at all the boss is very reasonable and you know that we work in all weathers she said I only want them doing in the summer months he then explained to her we don’t do that type of work so probebly best to try and find someone else , she said I will give you a ring in the spring and you can start again then , some people just don’t get it !!!!!!! , I hope she doesn’t phone in the spring beacause the answer will be a big no way . Funny thing is we have been doing this job for over two years never had a problem before .
Yep i have folk like that, its going to rain this week n they havent had them cleaned in over 4 months, some people cant be trained they want to train you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one on Monday complain because I billed her for 75% as she hadn't opened her back gate as agreed. She told me it should be half price, I reminded her of the agreement, anyway she's paid me 50%,in to my account so that's her binned off, and I just know she's going to ask me next month why I'm not cleaning them. ......

She'll be getting the "you don't fit my customer profile / you've been removed from my round " routine.

I do feel smug when that happens.

We work in all weather all year round all my customers are used to it , we do get the odd customer sayinb dont clean in the rain we educate them it doesnt make a difference and 99% of people be okay with it whilst u always get the 1 odd customer not having it u just remove them of your round lol

Only time i stop working is when we get bad snow and the roads become iced up which is very rare 

I had one on Monday complain because I billed her for 75% as she hadn't opened her back gate as agreed. She told me it should be half price, I reminded her of the agreement, anyway she's paid me 50%,in to my account so that's her binned off, and I just know she's going to ask me next month why I'm not cleaning them. ......

She'll be getting the "you don't fit my customer profile / you've been removed from my round " routine.

I do feel smug when that happens.
1 do the 75percent rule also, but after a few occasions I reserve the right to charge full price as two or 3 of those a day had a detrimental effect on income, especially when your employing someone. Did one yesterday the same, gate locked, 90percent of windows are around the back, so it was a very expensive front only clean 

1 do the 75percent rule also, but after a few occasions I reserve the right to charge full price as two or 3 of those a day had a detrimental effect on income, especially when your employing someone. Did one yesterday the same, gate locked, 90percent of windows are around the back, so it was a very expensive front only clean 
Yes, I find when charging 75% for a front only clean incentivises the customer to actually unlock the back gate as they feel they don't quite get full value for money if they don't. Most are fine.

Back