Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Clearing moss on tarmac

AGlassAct

What’s the best way to remove and prevent moss on a shaded moss covered drive? I’ve done the usual google search and the amount of products is ridiculous!!! Any advice on a decent biocide and method would be appreciated- it’s for my dads drive initially for a bit of practice.

cheers!

I powerwashed a large tarmac driveway yesterday that was covered in moss. I just used my twin turbo lance and never got too close. The moss didn't really work its way in so it was easy to remove. I wouldn't bother applying anything or spray Iron Sulphate after i finished. If its a damp dull area then the moss will eventually come back anyway. You could try a test patch to see how difficult it will be. ?

I don’t mind giving it a light jet wash but it’s the preventative treatment I’m after. I put weed killer on my block paving every 3 months and haven’t had any weeks in the past 4 years. That’s the kind of treatment I’m hoping for

If it’s in the shade and a fair bit if moss I would spray it with a moss killer leave it for up to a week then the stuff will have gone down into the roots killing the lot , then give it a brush with a stiff broom to remove the worst of it then pressure wash with a flat surface cleaner but if you have a powerful machine don’t use full throttle as it can damage the tarmac , go over it slowly and it will come up well we have done a few like this , I personally wouldn’t use a turbo nozzle on tarmac , the falch one that Scottish has is very expensive and I think it doesn’t do as much damage as a normal sutner one . 

Hypo is a no no as it will bleach the tarmac.

I would use algoclear or any other make of ddac and treat it then pressure wash a few days later.

Moss killer would work as @Pjjsaid but cheaper to buy copper sulphate crystals and make a solution of that as that is the main ingredient in things like wet n forget anyway and it works very well to kill moss etc.

That should kill it all and another spray of ddac after should keep it at bay for a few months.

I don't use an fsc so would just use the  40° or 25° tip with half revs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what to say about preventing re growth , I have recently done a lot of trials of using different biocides to slow down re growth and have reached the conclusion that they don’t  slow it down , I would be tempted to re apply moss killer once a year and the clean when needed or maybe softwash it with a hypo mix annually , Ime doing my drive this way tomorrow I do it every couple of years . 

Hypo is a no no as it will bleach the tarmac.

I would use algoclear or any other make of ddac and treat it then pressure wash a few days later.

Moss killer would work as @Pjjsaid but cheaper to buy copper sulphate crystals and make a solution of that as that is the main ingredient in things like wet n forget anyway and it works very well to kill moss etc.

That should kill it all and another spray of ddac after should keep it at bay for a few months.

I don't use an fsc so would just use the  40° or 25° tip with half revs.

From using hypo on tarmac for many years provided its diluted its fine I have done  my driveway this way for over 20 years without any problems , algo clear pro  is good stuff but very expensive and doesn’t slow down re growth , I did half my drive with hypo mix and half with biocides suprisingly the hypo bit stayed clear longer about 8 months longer to be exact and hypo costs £12 algo clear is £150 so it’s a no brainier as far as Ime concerned  

From using hypo on tarmac for many years provided its diluted its fine I have done  my driveway this way for over 20 years without any problems , algo clear pro  is good stuff but very expensive and doesn’t slow down re growth , I did half my drive with hypo mix and half with biocides suprisingly the hypo bit stayed clear longer about 8 months longer to be exact and hypo costs £12 algo clear is £150 so it’s a no brainier as far as Ime concerned  
Not tried hypo on tarmac as always been told not to.

Good to know mate.

Regrowth is a bugger isn't it.

Still it gives me repeat work.

What strength you using the hypo at ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not tried hypo on tarmac as always been told not to.

Good to know mate.

Regrowth is a bugger isn't it.

Still it gives me repeat work.

What strength you using the hypo at ?

10% strength hypo , mixing it at 4 parts water to one part hypo + cleaver wash and scent mask works well , we live in a very damp area and re growth on shaded areas is  rapid , I have been very disappointed with bio results , I have a decking area that I did with bio 4 months ago it is still slippery, has not altered  at all since application and still green , I hypoed it this afternoon let it dwell for 30 muinits and the green was gone as was the slippery film light pressure wash and it’s come up well , and I used the bio stronger than recommended by the manufacturer, and yes I know I shouldn’t have done so ??? , I don’t think the biocides are all they are cracked up to be .  

10% strength hypo , mixing it at 4 parts water to one part hypo + cleaver wash and scent mask works well , we live in a very damp area and re growth on shaded areas is  rapid , I have been very disappointed with bio results , I have a decking area that I did with bio 4 months ago it is still slippery, has not altered  at all since application and still green , I hypoed it this afternoon let it dwell for 30 muinits and the green was gone as was the slippery film light pressure wash and it’s come up well , and I used the bio stronger than recommended by the manufacturer, and yes I know I shouldn’t have done so ??? , I don’t think the biocides are all they are cracked up to be .  
So that's a 2% mix.  Same as i use on patios so that's good to know.

Ta bud.

We have a very shaded shared concrete path on a slope which leads onto a tarmaced courtyard I was considering using hypo on the path because it always greens up after a pressure wash within weeks, the tarmac is totally faded after been down over 30 years, what's your thoughts on this 

We have a very shaded shared concrete path on a slope which leads onto a tarmaced courtyard I was considering using hypo on the path because it always greens up after a pressure wash within weeks, the tarmac is totally faded after been down over 30 years, what's your thoughts on this 
 Obviously don’t  use neat hypo on tarmac , I did my tarmac drive today and it was 2 degrees , so I put 6ltr of 10% strength hypo in back pack and filled it with water total mix was 22 ltr and wetted the drive didn’t first then applied the hypo mix left it 40 muinits  and all the moss was white so dead , pressure washed it off its fine no change in colour at all , I have always done  tarmac this way and never had a problem 

Obviously don’t  use neat hypo on tarmac , I did my tarmac drive today and it was 2 degrees , so I put 6ltr of 10% strength hypo in back pack and filled it with water total mix was 22 ltr and wetted the drive didn’t first then applied the hypo mix left it 40 muinits  and all the moss was white so dead , pressure washed it off its fine no change in colour at all , I have always done  tarmac this way and never had a problem 
I have a garden pump sprayer, previously used Wet & Forget in it will give it a good clean out and use this, I won't be using it on the tarmac, but the run off with pressure washing after will run onto the tarmac

I have a garden pump sprayer, previously used Wet & Forget in it will give it a good clean out and use this, I won't be using it on the tarmac, but the run off with pressure washing after will run onto the tarmac
If it's just runoff that will be fine as it will be very diluted by then.

If you are worried soak the tarmac a bit first.

I did a large tarmac driveway on Tuesday. My customer put down some moss killer and I put down some hypo to see the difference a few weeks before hand. Not any difference, I would now just put down a 5 in 1 mix of hypo a day before PW. I used my twin turbo lance and didn't get to close. Must have had a ton of sludge at the bottom of the driveway and took an hour to get rid of it. The owner was over the moon and wanted to pay me extra but I am getting a ton of work from him so I refused. We have a great relationship and I want to keep it that way. ?

Sometimes evan run off is enough to cause cleaning on tarmac we did a customers drive and the runs water went over the pavement and into the road leaving clean streaks on the pavement , ended up doing the pavement as well outside the property ,to this day it looks strange with one section clean and the rest all green and moss covered ??

Just took delivery of another twin turbo lance and a 1200mm long lance which I think will be ideal for the Falch nozzle. Seen somebody else out PW today because of the mild weather. When the weather is good I seem to get a lot busier and this month has been great when usually dead.

Just took delivery of another twin turbo lance and a 1200mm long lance which I think will be ideal for the Falch nozzle. Seen somebody else out PW today because of the mild weather. When the weather is good I seem to get a lot busier and this month has been great when usually dead.
It has been mild, 4 days this week I worked without a jacket on and it was 13c on Thursday, I've never known it to be this warm in winter 

Latest Posts

Back