Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reach and wash help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Does any one know roughly how many houses you can clean with a 300l tank? 

You are asking a question that no one will be able to give you a definitive answer to. Not only are everyone's rounds different but our daily water consumption differs from day to day. Your work rate, customer expectations and your cleaning standards also influence water consumption as well.

So here's my take which is neither right nor wrong.

My son will use a full 22 litres on a 3 bed 60's semi with no conservatory when he uses his back pack. If the house has an average size conservatory he will use a full backpack on the conservatory and rear windows. His water flow is low and these are windows we have cleaned wfp for years. He uses a stiff brush with fan jets. I would describe his water use with the backpack as frugal.

If you asked an early pioneer of residential wfp window cleaning, Jeff Brimble, (The Electric Window Cleaner in Wales) he would say that 300 litres was more than enough water for a day's work. But he only cleans/cleaned the glass; he didn't clean frames which isn't the way I see cleaning should be done imho. (His customers are happy with the results so that what matters.) I used to think of him as 'thimble Brimble' as all he needed to clean a window was a thimble full of water. ?

We have a husband and wife team who work wfp from a 400 litre tank. But they can pop home and fill up again when they run out. They run a 600LX Berlingo so their tank size is restricted to the payload of the van.

Originally we focused on a 400 litre tank as the ideal size for a single operator doing a day's work rinsing well but mindful not to waste water. I still feel that's the ball park figure.

In our early window cleaning days, I fitted the lads vans out with 500 litre tanks and they usually came back in the evening with some water left over. However, if there was a big job they could empty their tanks in a day.

Times have moved on and son now mainly works with me. I'm unable to work a full day. On average I work about 4 hours on a 'good' day with my hose reel. Son alternates between his backpack and his hose reel depending on the job. We get through around 400 litres a day on average size jobs.

We do a school clean once a year and we get through about 800 to 900 litres a day when doing that job. I go home at lunch time and fill up again. I have a 650 litre tank in the van.

There is another windie in the south I know of. He has a Bipper size van with a 350 litre tank. Due to health reasons he also works a limited hour day and he finds he has enough water for his daily needs. But like me, what he doesn't do today will be done tomorrow.

Again, the size of your tank is going to be governed by the vehicle you have the tank in. If 300 litres is all you can carry then you have to either replace the vehicle or work around your water limitations. I know of one cleaner who starts at the furthest house that day and works back home. If he runs out of water, home is not so far to pop back and fill up. But he says it takes a lot of self discipline to got back out for a couple of hours as it easier to stay at home.

There is another local cleaner who uses a trailer to carry 15 x 20 litre plastic containers with a trolley system. He drops the kids off at school and sometimes collects them after school. He finds that's enough water for his use each day. He has worked this way for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back