Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gocardless flaw

Shammy Davis Senior

So we did a gutter clear for £140 but the payment has only come through for £95 and no alert from Gocardless. I’m awaiting an answer as to why but I ain’t best pleased that I wasn’t alerted. If it wasn’t for a relatively large amount I’d have missed it as Aworka doesn’t show a shortfall.  

Two issues. How do we get a different amount than invoice and why was there no alert to it?

Glad I’ve stopped pushing it. Amateurish. 

Just go onto your gocardless dashboard and look, it's all good and well using a facility through another app because it makes life simpler but the app won't show all information/functions of the gocardless dashboard. Everything should be simple to navigate and to trace the error or at least show everything to do with that payment ?

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us. Means i'm going to have to check all of my transactions for the last year now, let us know what the outcome is, as i'd be very interested to know why

I haven’t figured out why and I’m still waiting for GC to get back to me but we cleaned the windows for £45 and invoiced it and then were asked to go back and clear the gutters for £140 which we invoiced. 

We received £45 then two days later only £95 of the £140. It’s as if someone decided the £45 should come off the £140 leaving a balance of £95.

The GC interface tells me nothing at all. 

I haven’t figured out why and I’m still waiting for GC to get back to me but we cleaned the windows for £45 and invoiced it and then were asked to go back and clear the gutters for £140 which we invoiced. 

We received £45 then two days later only £95 of the £140. It’s as if someone decided the £45 should come off the £140 leaving a balance of £95.

The GC interface tells me nothing at all. 
Follow these steps;

> Log in to GC

> Click Payments on the left hand side

> Click the relevant payment

> Where it says "Payout" there is a reference number next to it. It will be highlighted in blue

> Click the reference number

> Check the amounts and fees. Thats where your problem should be if you are correct.

Just to add... Don't do this from a phone as the dashboard is made for use on PC, you can't see all the information on a phone.

Follow these steps;

> Log in to GC

> Where it says "Payout" there is a reference number next to it. It will be highlighted in blue

> Check the amounts and fees. Thats where your problem should be if you are correct.

Just to add... Don't do this from a phone as the dashboard is made for use on PC, you can't see all the information on a phone.
That’s what I did. Says £95 and 95p fee, but the invoice clearly states £140. 

That’s what I did. Says £95 and 95p fee, but the invoice clearly states £140. 
Then for whatever reason they only billed the customer £95. The fault is in the sync between Aworka and GC. For whatever reason Aworka has clearly taken the previous payment of £45 from the invoice, i.e put your customer into credit. Let your customer know and then bill them the remaining £45 but it is definitely Aworka you need to contact.

Then for whatever reason they only billed the customer £95. The fault is in the sync between Aworka and GC. For whatever reason Aworka has clearly taken the previous payment of £45 from the invoice, i.e put your customer into credit. Let your customer know and then bill them the remaining £45 but it is definitely Aworka you need to contact.
I don’t think so.  I can view the invoice in Aworka and it clearly states £140. It shows no £45 credit at all as it normally does if there is a credit or outstanding balance on the account.  It shows £140. I’ve not logged on to my work emails yet. I’ll probably wait until Monday. 

I would be on it asap to find out exactly what has happened, unless you contact Aworka you won't know if the issue is with them or GC, I am with @P4dstar in thinking the issue could have began with Aworka otherwise the full outstanding balance would have been requested via GC and payed out. 

Just saying also as you have titled your post as GC Flaw yet without contacting Aworka yet the flaw could be with Aworka and not GC, also did you create the gutter clean as a separate job for the client and raise a separate invoice, if not then you could have created the issue yourself and Aworka has done something automatically and caused the shortfall, but a human error could be the reason also

Last edited by a moderator:
One issue you need to be aware of with GoCardless although not a flaw however it certainly feels like it when it happens to you is the direct debit guarantee will backdate all payments if a customer says they didn’t sing up to it. No questions asked! Happened to me it was a few I think 6-7 cleans. It was fraud, would have been open close case in small claims court, however they vacated the address ( I think evicted) before I could follow up, no forwarding address, my loss, very frustrating, if it was a larger sum I’m sure I would have acted quicker and perhaps caught up with them. I Feel GoCardless could have alerted me specifically regarding this anomaly as a paying customer however it just came through with the regular information, they could improve that easily.

still use the service but wish they would be proactive in protecting us their customer as they are the end user our customers.

Follow these steps;

> Log in to GC

You can if you click the 3 dots and choose show desk top version.

I would be on it asap to find out exactly what has happened, unless you contact Aworka you won't know if the issue is with them or GC, I am with @P4dstar in thinking the issue could have began with Aworka otherwise the full outstanding balance would have been requested via GC and payed out. 

Just saying also as you have titled your post as GC Flaw yet without contacting Aworka yet the flaw could be with Aworka and not GC, also did you create the gutter clean as a separate job for the client and raise a separate invoice, if not then you could have created the issue yourself and Aworka has done something automatically and caused the shortfall, but a human error could be the reason also
The invoice from Aworka clearly states £140. It was set up as a separate job with a separate invoice. I’ll see what GC say on Monday. Could be an Aworka issue or a GC/Aworka interface issue but because the invoicing is so clear in Aworka I’m inclined to think it’sGC. 

Presumably you’ve had a customer accidentally underpay in the past? Same thing really. The only thing is in this case is that it shouldn’t happen with a system that is supposed to do away with the need to check every transaction.
  No never had that happen and my wife does all that and checks each payment ,did have one pay £200 instead of £20  once though , I just transferred the overpayment back 

One issue you need to be aware of with GoCardless although not a flaw however it certainly feels like it when it happens to you is the direct debit guarantee will backdate all payments if a customer says they didn’t sing up to it. No questions asked! Happened to me it was a few I think 6-7 cleans. It was fraud, would have been open close case in small claims court, however they vacated the address ( I think evicted) before I could follow up, no forwarding address, my loss, very frustrating, if it was a larger sum I’m sure I would have acted quicker and perhaps caught up with them. I Feel GoCardless could have alerted me specifically regarding this anomaly as a paying customer however it just came through with the regular information, they could improve that easily.

still use the service but wish they would be proactive in protecting us their customer as they are the end user our customers.
This falls under the direct debit rules https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx which I can understand if an error has been made with lets say 1-2 payments when people have been shopping around for car insurance for example and sign up then find someone cheaper before the renewal and 1 payment is taken in error , but for service providers on the whole  if 6-7 payments have come out and small investigation was done it's clearly obvious that fraud is been committed and a business is been ripped off.

The invoice from Aworka clearly states £140. It was set up as a separate job with a separate invoice. I’ll see what GC say on Monday. Could be an Aworka issue or a GC/Aworka interface issue but because the invoicing is so clear in Aworka I’m inclined to think it’sGC. 
Hopefully on Monday you will get the answers and you can let us know what the issue was/is 

This falls under the direct debit rules https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx which I can understand if an error has been made with lets say 1-2 payments when people have been shopping around for car insurance for example and sign up then find someone cheaper before the renewal and 1 payment is taken in error , but for service providers on the whole  if 6-7 payments have come out and small investigation was done it's clearly obvious that fraud is been committed and a business is been ripped off.

Yep, it was fraud but with them upping sticks it was end of story for My money.

in above link it says referring to the customer 

• If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to

The problem is If they do a runner it’s not possible to do so.

bad eggs all over the place the nack is avoiding them in the first place.

Back