Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Great Pole Revolt

Whizz-Bizz

As someone who is on the frontline dealing directly with prospective new customers daily, Ive been finding alot more of this statement popping up

"I dont like the pole, it doesn't clean it properly"

More so in some areas than others. Now I've got my own theory about this, but just wondering if

A: If anyone else has had this recently ?

B: What is your responses to the customer ?

Its a worrying trend, as 5 years ago when the pole was still not too common Id have whole streets dumping their long standing cleaners to have it, and now if I say its done trad they are all over me.

Whats your thoughts ?

Its the cleaners they have no idea how to use a pole ive had 1 complaint in 1 year of me using it

Either im over enthusiastic when im cleaning and rinsing or the customers haven't been checking

I had 1 complaint and tbat was about some bird poop that had been on tbe window for 2 years and had stained the glass .

Fact is I think a few years ago it was only taken up by windies that had experience, took pride in what they did but last couple of years loads of cowboys have jumped on the bandwagon and doing shoddy jobs. I've taken a few months to learn the craft before jumping into it but sadly some don't bother at all.

I actually think exactly the same too much splash, dash, cash going on, its a brilliant device in the right hands and what actually saddens me more is these same cleaners will complain about canvassers work and refuse to acknowledge the fact that its their poor work a few years back I rang 20 first clean cancellations in front of a cleaner and 14 of them said didnt like the work un prompted by me.

He just refused to accept the fact it was his work, and he thought they were all liars. He even suggested I just get more. Its madness.

Well as a newby to the Pole......i did windows trad (only a small round) 13 years ago.......I have decided to go back into windows and have taken the time to spend quite a few days training with a guy near me, who has been on the pole since they first came out. He has given me loads of tips and shown me when i have made mistakes. Its not rocket science, but like anything, without the right training any tool is useless in the wrong hands.

My first cleans might take a while, but i'm getting really filthy windows spot free, so i am pleased i have taken the time to learn. Not saying i know it all, far from it. Just that i like to learn something well before anyone pays me for it.

There are alot of conscientious guys out there like yourself, I just think this industry needs some sort of filtering process to weed out the cowboys. There will be more work around and customers only get class guys working for them. I actually feel sorry for some customers when they say Ive got a guy already had him 10 years ( what ever ) and its green frames and they wont sack him.

I had one last week filthy frames I charged her top dollar for a one off on the front to sort out the frames and when my guy turned up to do it, she thought it would be just frames and wasnt going to go thru as he was doing glass as well, she thought an extra charge for it. Still she wants to keep her guy as long standing.

What she dont realise is he is actually ripping her off over a period of years and smiling to her as he does it.

i watched a window cleaner yesterday for 10 mins cleaning some shop windows on a retail park

it shocked me what i sore,

missed corners

brush was only touching about 70% of the windows

he didnt bother doing the windows with a sign hanging on the inside,

no warning cones / signs

no uniform

no sign written van, just a car,

like others have said **** window cleaners using wfp gives otheres bad name

although there is many other reasons why people dont like wfp.

but like ive said before when i started 20 years ago people didnt like

applicator and blade as lots still scrimed windows.........

I see a great cowboy cleaner doing a shop front a few months back, 3 storey on ladders, thin pavement on a main road. Absolute nutter

I had no training, I watched a guy do it for 2 hours, then done my own house...Then started work myself.....I have had 2 complaints in 21 months.

Buy guys, you need to understand, Im a lady, and us ladies are pretty much perfect. PMSL.!!!!!

We need more female cleaners in that case, Ive only ever come up against 2 female crews whole time Ive been knocking.

There is a female duo somewhere near me, never seen then myself but they do nursing home where my missus mate works. Thats all I know lol.

Its not common at all the 2 crews I came accross were both Portsmouth based, Shazzy you thought about getting a pink van, I think that would go down a storm

I would seriously consider getting some white wheel trims for that van Shazzy :Image10:
Yeah I know, need a new van full stop, but that wont happen for a while. its 04 plate. wind down windows, no air con, lol.

o dear.........

your numbers now public

any prank calls u get now about what pole lenth u like will come from posting this pic lol

My van is a little pink, but I have a guy work for me on Fridays, so had to be a little carefull haha

photo (1).JPG

I have had a prank call b4 from this site. Also my website has all my details on, so would not be hard to track me down. (I like 17") nice little one haha

My honest opinion is thus: half of the time there's no noticeable difference in the quality of the work, 25% trad looks better, 25% wfp looks better. I find customers biggest complaint at wfp is leaving windows wet, I've had a few cancellations saying leaving it like that leaves dirt etc, but they've always said it the first time there in when I do them, I bite my tongue but wonder why it's taken them 4 years to cancel! Must admit, I wasn't keen on leaving them wet for a while, even searched for something that would make the water evaporate faster!

It wouldn't bother me to drive a pink van, but then other people's opinions don't bother me, and believe me, I'm straight as an arrow. Used to wear a cowboy hat till it blew away, my t shirt looks like something the incredible hulk threw out, need another! And I'm seriously considering wearing a star trek uniform for work, captain kirk style.

Latest Posts

Back