Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How Much Water Do You Use?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CW90

Just got my WCW backpack deal and have been trying to use it on my own house, which has 6 windows. The windows and frames haven't been cleaned in a few months so I could try getting used to using it on windows that haven't been cleaned in a while...

So from what I have read on first cleans you should turn the pressure right up as high as it will go, do the frames, then do the tops, then rinse, then do the window below, then rinse and do the same down stairs. I wouldn't be using it for down stairs for proper jobs, just getting use to it and experimenting.

But so far to do my whole house I have managed to use well over the 22L the back pack holds, probably closer to 30+L. Is this normal or am I going over the top with how much am rinsing etc?

It'll come down, when I started I could easily throw 50 litres at an house with conny, I'd now half that and then some.

Turn the flow down a bit. If the water is bouncing of the glass then it's too high.

I used to use double compared to now.

I have the same backpack mate, and i find that for any clean i turn the flow regulator down as low as it can go and i barely open the tap on the hose

This way you wont use anywhere near as much water and still get great results

I find it only really important to clean the top of the frame on first cleans and once done i try and stay on the glass only for reg cleans

With really dirty frames you cant beat doing them by hand then wfp next time, save a lot of water that way !!

Esp for us backpack and barrel guys

My friend converted his trad round to WFP

For 4 weeks he used nothing but pure water and cleaned all frames with pure water only. It was a hard month. Screeching rubber blades the lot. But when he finally converted he was smashing out the Work.

Just got my WCW backpack deal and have been trying to use it on my own house, which has 6 windows. The windows and frames haven't been cleaned in a few months so I could try getting used to using it on windows that haven't been cleaned in a while...

So from what I have read on first cleans you should turn the pressure right up as high as it will go, do the frames, then do the tops, then rinse, then do the window below, then rinse and do the same down stairs. I wouldn't be using it for down stairs for proper jobs, just getting use to it and experimenting.

But so far to do my whole house I have managed to use well over the 22L the back pack holds, probably closer to 30+L. Is this normal or am I going over the top with how much am rinsing etc?
1 litre of water will cover 1sq meter area o(r window) 1mm in depth, water usage will depend of the effectiveness & efficiency of the brush and cleaning technique, plus other variables i.e. first cleans etc.

General rule of thumb for pure water (alone) cost: flow rate of 2.2 litres per min of pure water will be around £0.01p, £0.60p for 1 hour of continuous use. In comparison a Tecbuk brush is usually a quarter of the cost of pure water - if change every few months. Buy a cheap brush and the brush cost goes down, but you will be using far more water, same thing if you use a worn or dirty brush.

If you start to estimate how many sq meters of glass you are cleaning for typical buildings it helps to refine your cleaning method and its easy to work out water usage. You will often need less than water coverage figures, as water ‘runs down’ the windows & brush movement.

Richard

Latest Posts

Back