Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Tuffers

Gained A Job From A Johnny Come Lately Wfp Guy Today

charlie

just cos u got one off a WFP well all WFP washes wer trad at sum pont and a lot of sqegy washes wor dun with shamys

adyspurs

The reason?

I can trad, simples ;-)

like the post mate,just worked out 37 jobs of Johnny come lately reason,I can use a squeegee,they can't and I've a wfp!

Dodger

just cos u got one off a WFP well all WFP washes wer trad at sum pont and a lot of sqegy washes wor dun with shamys

Actually not all were Daley, H for instance.

No offence meant there H I just used you as an example.

Tuffers

^^^ that's my point. If people don't want wfp I can go back to trad.

Posh

There's loads of houses out there that have never been trad. New ones that have gone up in last 5 years may never have been traded before.

Tuffers
was there any difference in price?

Same, I thought it was going to be a walk away job when she described it over the phone. As it happens it's a good 'un. Reason she wants trad is there's hard water stains that the pole ain't shifting. Virasol do it? I've got 5 litres but never used it yet.

charlie

im not daley whos that and are you saying all Hs never bin washed with sqegy and all his houses have bin dun WFP

All Round Cleaning

I know a cleaner by me who has gone back trad from wfp he says his customers prefer trad over wfp .

Me myself I can do both so im not fussed tbh .

chip

I think, given the choice, most domestics will choose trad. It takes a while for the masses to move on, in fact I know of a woman who will still only accept them done pre squeegee way, ie, dunking chamois!

charlie

its not long a go that converted a shamy window cleaner to sqegy and this windy started as a 12 year old with his dad and now in his 60tys

Guest OoO
I think, given the choice, most domestics will choose trad. It takes a while for the masses to move on, in fact I know of a woman who will still only accept them done pre squeegee way, ie, dunking chamois!

My god. Somebody who has actually speaks some sense. It's been a while on here lol.

DanC

lol i was Trad over 16 years and still Trad certain bungalows. I now pick up more and more customers who had a Trad window cleaner and who now want WFP. If you do a proper job WFP wins. All my customers prefer WFP most say they would never go back to Trad methods again. The problem is there are to many WFP guys not doing the job right like not rinsing or bothering to do frames and sills, or have there PPM to high and giving themselves and the WFP a bad name. Never had one complaint yet about WFP. Keep your PPM at 0 and risnse do frames and sills and you wont have any problems!

Last month for example, the daughter of a customer of mine saw her mothers windows i did using wfp, she wanted hers done with wfp, so she ended up dropping her Trad window cleaner and i ended up getting 5 of her neighbours too all of which used to have a Trad window cleaner. The fact you can reach windows on sloping roof and above conservatory roofs etc makes all the difference!

DanC

I know a cleaner by me who has gone back trad from wfp he says his customers prefer trad over wfp .

Me myself I can do both so im not fussed tbh .

Then he must of been doing a very bad job! Says it all really

adyspurs

I can do both and in 5 years ain't lost work to no one both ways.

Carlwindy

Do a good job at a fair price and be polite and you will never loose work to anyone out there

Posh

lol i was Trad over 16 years and still Trad certain bungalows. I now pick up more and more customers who had a Trad window cleaner and who now want WFP. If you do a proper job WFP wins. All my customers prefer WFP most say they would never go back to Trad methods again. The problem is there are to many WFP guys not doing the job right like not rinsing or bothering to do frames and sills, or have there PPM to high and giving themselves and the WFP a bad name. Never had one complaint yet about WFP. Keep your PPM at 0 and risnse do frames and sills and you wont have any problems!

Last month for example, the daughter of a customer of mine saw her mothers windows i did using wfp, she wanted hers done with wfp, so she ended up dropping her Trad window cleaner and i ended up getting 5 of her neighbours too all of which used to have a Trad window cleaner. The fact you can reach windows on sloping roof and above conservatory roofs etc makes all the difference!

Down ere there's more of us trad then wfp & talking to them they all pick up jobs from wfp chaps because as you said there's so many that do a bad job. Long may it continue lol. One thing I would say is I don't thing wfp wins all the time. I think there both good in there own way & both clean the same.

Gmeister

Down ere there's more of us trad then wfp & talking to them they all pick up jobs from wfp chaps because as you said there's so many that do a bad job. Long may it continue lol. One thing I would say is I don't thing wfp wins all the time. I think there both good in there own way & both clean the same.

Same here, there are more trads then wfp round here, I have seen someone clean a pub trad aswell,this week(by cloths as all are leaded windows)

adyspurs

Ur right posh,we are both in same Manor,well over 30 jobs of wfp who don't traditional.one firm from Suffolk,they go to sawston as well.bu the way I've got house for you £10.00 will ring bloke tomorrow and pm you his number.

adyspurs

And takes 15 minutes traditional haven't done it for ages cuz don't go to sawston but will check with him first.

Posh

Ok mate that's great. Many thanks. I'm not sure that lot from Suffolk still come here as I've picked up a few lately who said they had people from Suffolk who ain't been for ages. Unless they go for bigger stuff now. Again yeah pm his number. Cheers for that.

Mart1001

This is the bit I have a problem with, the belief or should I say 'assumption', that you can't clean windows above a sloping roof trad. You see this claim all over wfp websites. Trad, doesn't automatically mean 'with ladders', it means 'with squeegee'. Well actually, I think trad should actually mean 'with chamois' because up until 25 years ago, most WC's still used this method and I actually see this as traditional window cleaning myself, windows were cleaned this way for a lot longer than they have been with a squeegee. I tend to think this label was actually invented by wfp users as a way of trying to out date the squeegee.

Anyway....

(2) Every employer shall ensure that work is not carried out at height where it is reasonably practicable to carry out the work safely otherwise than at height.

However, all window cleaners can comply with the working at height regulations reguardless of whether they use a water fed pole system or not.(Mark Henderson)

It's the use of ladders that H&S are trying to abolish, not the squeegee or the traditional window cleaner. I'm 100% trad and I would never think of leaving a window be it, above a sloping roof, above a conservatory or in a tight passage. There's ways to clean these windows traditionally without the use of ladders and many tools available to assist such as, zero degree squeegee's, swivel action squeegee's and mops, clamps, angled joints and then of course, a pole. A pole is a pole reguardless of what's attached to the top of it and this is what we use to access these difficult windows and has nothing to do with being trad or wfp.

I take great pride in being able to reach these windows and still do a good job and I'm no different to any other tradder other than, I like a challenge. I've spent time watching the youtube vids, I've practised loads, researched and bought the right gear and I love developing my pole techniques. They are improving all the time and I've recently clean 2nd floor windows with relative ease. I love to size up the windows and the obstacles that rule out the ladder, I love the different ways of cutting in and out of the glass and clamping my scrim onto my angle adapter with a plastic clip I picked up 4 for a quid and being able to get the sill.

I've had customers tell me how they've had wfp guys telling them that ladders are illegal now and they have to use a wfp by law. I just wish more guys would look to improve their skills before jumping into the wfp system as an answer to ladders. Personally, and I say this with tongue in cheek, I think I'd die of bordem cleaning windows with a wet broom all day !

Mart.

Smurf

But after saying that Mart speaking from experience I must admit a wet broom in the right hands can be a very good tool to use too.

Mart1001

But after saying that Mart speaking from experience I must admit a wet broom in the right hands can be a very good tool to use too.

Absolutely Smurf, it's a great tool I'll admit to that. But I think it should be viewed as just that, another tool, rather than a replacement for the traditional window cleaner which, appears to be the general surmise in the window cleaning world. A window cleaner has many tools at his disposal to clean windows of all shape and sizes but, it's wrong to suggest that some windows can't be cleaned using traditional methods which is the point I was trying to make.

chip

Is there a way of cleaning leadeds/Georgian windows at hight or over lids trad from the deck? Serious question, I've no axe to grind against any w/c methods, I'm just curious as I'm not aware of any.

Mart1001

Is there a way of cleaning leadeds/Georgian windows at hight or over lids trad from the deck? Serious question, I've no axe to grind against any w/c methods, I'm just curious as I'm not aware of any.

I have a front only house with leaded windows(diamond shaped), one being over a sloping roof. I always cloth leaded windows, it's the best way to do um in my opinion as the buffing action makes the lead shine too. Leaded windows aren't as bad as people think, they take a little more time which you cover in the price but, they always seem to look shinny when you drive past reguardless of how clean they are.

Anyway, for the difficult one I do, I just attach 2 cloths to my pole, an artificial chamois type I get from Vileda which I've used since the 80's, I use two to help build a decent buffer. I attach using cheap plastic clips simular to these:-

$T2eC16h,!)0E9s37IeSMBRfT,WUI5w~~60_35.JPG

I picked up a pack of 4 or 5 for a quid from the pound shop.

I use this to clean the window and then, attach two microfibres to my pole in the same way and then buff the window to a shine. An angle adapter obviously helps too.

French or Giorgian type windows can be cleaned in the same way as any other window, with squeegee on a pole but, a 6" channel or shorter, would be better although, I've yet to test this as I haven't got any of this type of window above a slope etc, only the type where the frame is on the inside of the glass.

Mart.