Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi, Looking For A Bit Of Advice

patrick

Hi, my names Pat and ive been a window cleaner on and off for 12 years. I had quite a few rounds some years ago but was forced to give up due to dermatitis, i kept a couple of them and rented them out but i ended up selling them all eventually. In 2008 i started cleaning again and was putting cotton gloves on with vinyl gloves over the top, this was going great and i even ended up buying my own work again until the problem came back. I was putting black latex ones over the cotton gloves near the end and with hindsight this was probably a big mistake as they make your hands sweat like mad which made them really bad.

Hope ive not lost you with all this !!

What i am looking for any advice on, are there any gloves out there people could recomend, the less my hands sweat in them the better and also would people recomend using a wfp ? Ive been told that my hands wont get wet whilst using one.

Any advice would be appreciated, Pat.

hi Pat

Ive just started using wfp and found I don't really need gloves. just be careful what poles you use mind as im using a carbon fibre and do occasionally get splinters from it but on the whole not a problem for me.

Hope that helps

I've not being going long just started out but went strait to pole system. I do traditional on occasions

Hi pat, in the past I have had dermatitis, have you had allergy tests?...I did and I have dust mite allergy, stress also brings mine on.

Im in Manchester johnny.

Ive been back cleaning traditional for a few months now, ive been using the cheap magic gloves from the pound shop, they aren't waterproof but they don't make my hands sweat which I think was not helping, if they get wet I just change them, I tend not to do really long days as I don't want to push it, ive had a couple of bad spells but all in all my hands are bearing up pretty well.

Yes ivan ive had all the tests, I used to be an outpatient at hospital going 3 times a week for treatment. Ive always suspected dust it a big factor.

Thanks for all replying

Hi Patrick.

I would suggest moving to wfp. I moved over from trad years ago and once you've explained your situation to customers(plus that wfp isn't the devil!) they will be fine.

I still wear gloves with the pole though, as I started with a glass fibre pole and an allergic to it so wore fingerless sailing gloves which helped and I've just carried on doing it(Maybe the same as you Dunc?). Your hands shouldn't get wet as long as your pole hose isn't leaking down through the sections.

Hope you get it sorted

Back