Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

C-THROUGH

Scrim Or Micro Cloth?

C-THROUGH

I am having trouble with scrim although I have been using it for ten years.

I keep getting white marks on window in sun light.

Changed rubber etc.

I am experienced and have a good technique but I have only noticed this in the last few weeks?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gmeister

Too much soap?

What soap do you use?

Or might be the scrim is too soapy and needs extra rinses in the washer before being washed.

paulio

Dirty scrim maybe?. Micro cloths are great for leaded glass but still prefer scrim for detailing.

Mart1001

Personally, my scrim is my sill cloth. I also use it to wipe frames and remove any general excess water but, I always detail with my microfibre. I tend to think that a scrim is more prone to leaving a smear here n there.

Mart.

Gmeister

Yeah, mart, I also think that is true, always like to use microfiber as they never smear, but scrims last longer, microfiber just soaks it up real quick, so both have advantages and disadvantages

C-THROUGH

Ok thanks for advice!

Dont think its too soapy.

I use fairy, always have done.

Posh

Fishscale micros from paragon.

Use mine all week & wash it at weekends.

Guest boarcity

scrim must be perfectly clean, I make sure iv plenty onboard each morning

Duncs

use scrim all the time, washed every night must be clean and dry tho

thanks to the forum now starting to use micros for touching up and leaded windows really handy

Belfastcleaning

I used scrims for 5 years.. Only bought microfibre clothes last week..

And I can say I will never use a scrim again.. I k ow exactly what you mean about scrimming when sun beating down, plus the scrims can leave tiny fibres etc too.. Microfibre is the way to go

Duncs

interesting just started using the microfibre to detail what ones do you get .

the ones i,m using are small just use it for touching up

Duncs

thanks mart is that all your using!

do you not use scrim at all now

Duncs

how many micro clothes do you go thro in a day mart do you have a mate cheers

Mart1001

As I say mate, I use my scrim for wiping the sill and frames after squeegeeing but, use my micro for final detailing. So say I've left quite abit of soap at the bottom of the window, I'll get that with my scrim first whilst wiping the sill as I don't want my micro to get wet but, then I'll use my micro around the window afterwards. Yes, my lad works with me and does most of the bottom windows while I work on the tops so, that does cut the amount of exposure to water that my micro has to face. My microfibre's are big as I say and because I still don't do more than 6 or 7 house per outting as I'm still building my round, I rarely need to swap my cloths.

There's no reason your microfibre should get wet if detailing is minimal, I don't just mean a good squeegee technique but, simply not dragging it through pools of water.

Mart.

chip

I can't get on with microfiber, never bought actual w/c versions but assume the texture will be similar to what I've held and it's just a horrible sensation in my hands, I must have rough skin, it's like peeling Velcro off

Gmeister

Yes I know that feeling Chips but doesnt bother me much!

Belfastcleaning

Try a real window microfibre chip.. Are you using £1 land ones? They are useless..