Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help With Ladders Please Guys.

Hi Scott mate the houses you will be cleaning will help you choose best size of ladder for you

The ladder company that advertise on here do some banging deals, plus they come with a stabilizer which most dont. Free delivery too.

cheers guys, what size A ladder would you recommend? thinking of going for a 10ft single section? would that and a pole be good enough to reach the top windows of most houses?

cheers guys, what size A ladder would you recommend? thinking of going for a 10ft single section? would that and a pole be good enough to reach the top windows of most houses?
Buy a proper ladder if you're thinking of doing that mate. Climb up it and your nose will be in line with the glass. Cleaning off a short ladder with a pole? You'll get soaked for starters, plus you won't have your hands on the ladder, plus it won't do as good a job.

You need a 2m single for ground floor windows. The idea of the A frame is the rubber bit at the top rests on the frame. The 2m is only needed for windows that are ground floor but still a little to high to reach the tops..Also good for getting over locked gates. For upstairs windows you need a 3m double. Or go wfp.

An alternative for ground floor windows is a step ladder/ladder.I found I couldnt reach top of window frames on bottom windows using a beer crate as window cleaners round my way all use.As all good window cleaners wipe there frames got abru step ladders/ladders and use them all the time.

Yep steps work. But make sure ur on even ground with them...coz even a fall from small steps can hurt and put u out of work. Great thing about A frame ladders is they are very very stable and was made for the job.

Hi Bernie mate if you have a large window you can put your steps centre of the window allowing more coverage wile using A frame you would be one side or other of window or above window having to work around your ladder? But maybe another way cus I am still learning as only cleaning windows 5 months.I am open to education :Image11:

Most Large windows are shop fronts... then use a pole as mart said.or steps maybe better suited as the pavement should be flat... Large window on a house are mostly bay so u move ladder along same as u would with steps. On a standard size window there's not that much diff in the reach from the side with A frame.... or in front with steps. But yes some houses do av big windows so I guess at the end of the day use what ever gets the job done best for you mate.

Hi Mart How do you clean the top window frames?
Well firstly, unless asked otherwise and paid for, I don't clean window frames, I wipe um....not being picky but, there is a difference there. Also, unless there's bird muck etc, I only really wipe um over during a first clean although I always give the sill a good wipe. Being 6'3, I can reach most of them but the ones I can't or would have to stretch too much for, I just wipe my applicator(on extension) over them and then after squeegeeing the window and wiping sill, I simply throw my damp sill cloth(scrim) over the end of my extension and wipe them dry.
I'm talking about a short extension pole here, 2ft to be exact however, even that is easy enough to cut down and I've even known people use a piece of broom handle. Then there's the trick of throwing a cloth over the end of your squeegee to give yourself that little bit of reach. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to or, can comfortably carry ladders, bucket and a pair of steps or a crate around with them with all of the various tools on offer today.

Mart.

Most Large windows are shop fronts... then use a pole as mart said.or steps maybe better suited as the pavement should be flat... Large window on a house are mostly bay so u move ladder along same as u would with steps. On a standard size window there's not that much diff in the reach from the side with A frame.... or in front with steps. But yes some houses do av big windows so I guess at the end of the day use what ever gets the job done best for you mate.
As you say mate because I have some older houses with large windows find these a bit awkward and my step ladder/ladder does my job but most houses now have bay windows with frames good for A frame ladder so I guess unless you have these large single windows A frame is the way to go .I do have a double A frame I use for a Golf club and find it far better and safer than normal ladder

Well firstly, unless asked otherwise and paid for, I don't clean window frames, I wipe um....not being picky but, there is a difference there. Also, unless there's bird muck etc, I only really wipe um over during a first clean although I always give the sill a good wipe. Being 6'3, I can reach most of them but the ones I can't or would have to stretch too much for, I just wipe my applicator(on extension) over them and then after squeegeeing the window and wiping sill, I simply throw my damp sill cloth(scrim) over the end of my extension and wipe them dry.

I'm talking about a short extension pole here, 2ft to be exact however, even that is easy enough to cut down and I've even known people use a piece of broom handle. Then there's the trick of throwing a cloth over the end of your squeegee to give yourself that little bit of reach. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to or, can comfortably carry ladders, bucket and a pair of steps or a crate around with them with all of the various tools on offer today.

Mart.
Wish I was 6'3 ya lucky beggar I guess size does matter :Image4:

Im 6'2" and just use a bottle crate(from my local) to stand on no need for an extension pole

The fella I used to work for had a telescopic ladder in the van for bays and tall bungalows it worked a treat but watch your fingers when closing it as it used to remind me of the till from open all hours!!

Latest Posts

Back