Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water pressure

WCF

Help Support WCF:

steve hawing

My water pressure has gone away down to the point were i may need a booster pump

What is the ideal presurre to have though?

My full system is in the van so ro filters the lot, the tap water goes through the 2 filters first then ro then di to tank, there is a pressure gauge fitted inbetween the 2 filters, i cant remember what it reads tbh, is that gauge in the right place?

Im just thinking the gauge should maybe be asfter the filters before the ro? I dont know tbh maybe someone here can help, cheers

I have a gauge before the sediment filter and a gauge after the carbon block filter.

The gauge after the c/b filter always reads slightly less than the first gauge with new prefilters. That makes sense to me. The first gauge reads tap pressure and the second gauge pressure drop through the prefilters.

When the gauges read a lot more differently then I know its time to change the sediment filter.

I change the c/b filter to manufacturer's recommendations (20" fiberdyne) of 78,000 litres. I have a water meter on my r/o so I know exactly how much water the c/b has processed. The service life of the c/b is usually every 3 months as that is the amount of water we use.

However, because we have a lot of sediment in the water on ocassion, the difference between the gauges will draw my attention to the fact that the sediment filter needs replacing which could be every month. Tbh I have clear prefilter bowls so can also see at a glance when the sediment filter gets dirty, but the gauges indicate when its time to change it.

View attachment 7524

-

What pressures do you get on the gauges spruce?

I never even thought before of an optimum pressure i just hooked up tap and let it work away

Only now the pressure has gotten so low and its defo taking alot longer to fill the tank

I dont know why the gauge was fitted inbewtween the 2 filters tbh as that pressure means nothing really i may move it should i put before or after filters though?

What pressures do you get on the gauges spruce?I never even thought before of an optimum pressure i just hooked up tap and let it work away

Only now the pressure has gotten so low and its defo taking alot longer to fill the tank

I dont know why the gauge was fitted inbewtween the 2 filters tbh as that pressure means nothing really i may move it should i put before or after filters though?
One gauge is pointless as far as I'm concerned if you are using it the way I do.

My tap water pressure is 50 psi and when the pressure on the second gauge drops below 40 then I act.

The center gauge reading will be rougly what your water pressure is with new prefilters. You will then be able to decide if you need a booster pump or not. The gauge on my 450 GPD r/o before this had the gauge plumbed in after the prefilters. For me it didn't mean anything apart from knowing out tap water pressure was 40 psi in those days.

-

You should get a single filter, you lose less pressure with them.
If this post is for me, then I did mention earlier that we sometimes have a lot of sediment in our water. Last year I was replacing a sediment filter once a month and the carbon block once every 3 months.

As both sediment and carbon block are 5 micron the c/b always stays clean. The 20" Fiberdyne c/b prefilter costs £24.00 + VAT from Gardiners. The sediment filter costs £4.75 + VAT. In my case the cost of a sediment filter to save the c/b is money worth spending. It got to the stage that I would only turn my r/o on to fill my IBC tank in the evenings after I ran some water into the bath to see what the state of it was like.

One of the first long life c/b prefilters I got was a 1 micron. Its service life was at least 50% more than the Fiberdyne prefilters I'm using now. (Fiberdyne 20" c/b are good for 78,000 liters according to the manufacturers.) I expected it to last me for about 5 months at least. It was blocked up with the sediment the sediment filter let through. I had to replace it after 2 months. It cost a lot more than the fiberdyne filters from Gardiners.

If this post wasn't for me then please ignore me. /emoticons/wink.png

Back